• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If Bulls Go 6-6

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  0

Guys, there are 32 bowl games this year.  That means that 64 of 119 teams will be playing in bowls.  The bowl sponsors will be lucky if there are 64 teams that end up 6-6 or better.  I thought this was discussed on here before that the BE will not allow it's teams to decline an invitation to any bowl.  Therefore, if we are 6-6, we are definitely going to a bowl by our choice or not.

Not trying to stir the pot here, but what if we are offered the International Bowl? I love my footBULLS, but Toronto in January would be a severe test of my loyalty.  ;)  If we get invited to a bowl that we are unlikely to make a good showing at, is it better to take the game or bow out?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

If we get invited to a bowl that we are unlikely to make a good showing at, is it better to take the game or bow out?

It would make sense to me to work with the BE and the bowls that invited BE teams to rearrange our partcipation.  For example, If we get invited to Toronto and fear no one would be there, do we try to swap places with UConn or Syracuse if they are invited elsewhere?

BTW, who would have thought 5 years ago, we would be discussing the option of DECLINING a bowl bid?  This is kind of crazy talk.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

WE will NEVER decline a bowl bid unless it's a self imposed sanctions (see Clemson and South Carolina 2 years ago). The money means too much.

That being said with the 12th game added just over a year ago there will be more bowl eligible teams than game. The reason is most teams picked up I-AA teams on short notice to fill the extra game spot instead of going through the negotiations of a home and home series.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Why not ask this at 6-5 rather than now? ....... All back to the karma thing again.  [smiley=hippy2.gif]

While the money is decent... minimum payout is $750,000... there is something else:

MORE practice.  It's like having an extra Spring practice.  NCAA regulations say that if your team is not in a bowl, there can't be organized practices (like during the summer).

What Leavitt did last year was put a lot of the younger players on the starting teams during practice.  Give them a lot of reps with the system for a couple of weeks.  Puts them in GREAT shape come Spring.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

rather than respond to the ridiculous question, i just have a question:  what teams have ever refused to go to a bowl game (other than when discipline issues were involved)?

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Don't we also have a provisional bid to the motor city bowl if the big 10 can't fill all thier slots (they have 7-8 slots I think).  There are always conference that cant fill their slots and the BE is supposed to help all bowl eligible teams find a bowl home.  That said, the only way to gaurantee a bowl is to go 7-5 (which I think we will)

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

rather than respond to the ridiculous question, i just have a question:  what teams have ever refused to go to a bowl game (other than when discipline issues were involved)?

Notre Dame did a few seasons ago b/c the team wasn't worthy and they didn't like the crappy bowl.  BTW, its assnine to think Leavitt would pass up a chance to practice in Dec. when next yr is the equivalent of 2002 for this team peaking.  The D will be loaded w/mostly Sr's w/Jr's sprinkled in.  Only soph to get major time in Mompremier.  The DL will be deeper than 2005 - Robinson, Julmiste, Buie, Cray.  OL will be loaded w/the same.  Grothe must avoid the sophomore let down.  If team can find a prolific runner, WVU & UL better just get the F out of the way or our Bulls will just mow 'em over in RJS.  And Pittsburgh starts a new QB 'cuz Tyler Palko graduates.  BE will be tuff with Rice returning to Rutgers.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I really doubt we'd get an offer at 6-6.  With Navy playing like they are (see last week's drubbing of the Big East's own UConn), that would greatly hinder our chances.

How do we avoid this problem??  Win out!!!!