• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time To Face Facts, Folks....

Guest JulmisteForPrez

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Wow.  Are some of the people on here for real?????  Yeah, you guys are right.  Based soley on the fact that we are located in talent laden Florida, the moment we were accepted into the BE, all the kids we recruited when we were just sniffing CUSA magically became BCS caliber players in their SR and JR years.  

Geez, what is so hard to understand about the fact this is only our 3rd year of being associated with the BCS.  To spell it out for the people that don't understand it, that means that at best we were able to start attracting the attention of BCS caliber player 3 years ago.  That makes them either JRs or RS Sophs.    Even at that, our best recruiting classes didn't start until 2 years ago and you are just beginning to see the raw, talented and athletically gifted players get on the field from that class now.  They may be superior athletes and talented football players, but they are still raw and don't have a full understanding of the game at this level.  On offense we started 5 Sophomores and 1 RS Freshman last night.  The difference between us and other BCS schools right now is that all things being equal, they can start  with the athletically superior and gifted athletes that know how to play the game and if they go down, they are replaced by an equally athletically gifted player with almost as much experience pretty much throughout all classes.  We took a huge jump.  We don't have the luxury yet (and won't for another couple of years) of being able to do that. In that respect, The offense will catch up with the defense in a couple of years.  

Look at our defense a couple of years ago.  Jenkins, and Williams started as freshman, Williams last year at S, Snake and St. Louis as Sophs.  We were thin with replacements back then.  Now we can reload with guys like Gilliam, Murphy, Roberts, Gachette and Allen and not miss a beat.  Mompremeir and Sam Miller ain't too shabby either with more young talent on the way.  We are so young at WR also.  So deep, but we only lose SJ green and Randolph, but we reload with so many possibilities with guys that are only Jrs with a ton of young, even more talented guys coming up behind them.  You are starting to see that on both lines.  All we are lacking is the experience, but make no mistake, we have the depth and it is coming along.  We have had good recruiting classes the last couple of years.  

We have the depth of raw talent on the roster now.  What we are lacking is maturity (physical in some cases, as well as  mental football maturity) and experience with our depth right right now.  

When we entered the BE and BCS level of play, we took a huge jump in competition level.  We also made a huge shift in talent level, but it needs time to develop.  I would challenge anyone to show me a team in the top 25 that has as many underclassmen starting as we do.

Let me spell it out here.  We are competitive now, but setting up for a long run for the next several years (and hopefully beyond) to do some significant things.  Just look beyond the Tribune's headlines and I think you will be enlightened to what is really going on here.  It's not that difficult to understand.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Good post, 84.  However, many of our "so called fans" just plain prefer to whine and cry than read logical posts.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

They may be superior athletes and talented football players, but they are still raw and don't have a full understanding of the game at this level.  On offense we started 5 Sophomores and 1 RS Freshman last night.

I agree with most of your points, but I think it's the coaching staff's job to make sure these young players get prepared better.  I'm not sure we have the right people in place to do that.  However, as Grothe and all the people you mentiond age together, I hope we have the staff to put them to their best use.

Time will tell.  

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

i wouldnt let them near the field

they ruined usf's season

i would rather lose without them and set a precedent for future teams

You know....I think you are nuts most of the times, but I couldn't agree with you more.

However, it wouldn't be fair to the other 97% of team that has done the right things to not have the best chance of winning by letting these guys go.

Ironically, from everything I read it looks like UF's monster DT Marcus Thomas might suit up for Florida against LSU, despite a similar 2nd offense. Where is the media backlash?

oh btw....you are still one of the geniuses whose whining help chase away Greenberg and sentenced us to 5  costly years of McCullum hell.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  47

Wow.  Are some of the people on here for real?????  Yeah, you guys are right.  Based soley on the fact that we are located in talent laden Florida, the moment we were accepted into the BE, all the kids we recruited when we were just sniffing CUSA magically became BCS caliber players in their SR and JR years.  

Geez, what is so hard to understand about the fact this is only our 3rd year of being associated with the BCS.  To spell it out for the people that don't understand it, that means that at best we were able to start attracting the attention of BCS caliber player 3 years ago.  That makes them either JRs or RS Sophs.    Even at that, our best recruiting classes didn't start until 2 years ago and you are just beginning to see the raw, talented and athletically gifted players get on the field from that class now.  They may be superior athletes and talented football players, but they are still raw and don't have a full understanding of the game at this level.  On offense we started 5 Sophomores and 1 RS Freshman last night.  The difference between us and other BCS schools right now is that all things being equal, they can start  with the athletically superior and gifted athletes that know how to play the game and if they go down, they are replaced by an equally athletically gifted player with almost as much experience pretty much throughout all classes.  We took a huge jump.  We don't have the luxury yet (and won't for another couple of years) of being able to do that. In that respect, The offense will catch up with the defense in a couple of years.  

Look at our defense a couple of years ago.  Jenkins, and Williams started as freshman, Williams last year at S, Snake and St. Louis as Sophs.  We were thin with replacements back then.  Now we can reload with guys like Gilliam, Murphy, Roberts, Gachette and Allen and not miss a beat.  Mompremeir and Sam Miller ain't too shabby either with more young talent on the way.  We are so young at WR also.  So deep, but we only lose SJ green and Randolph, but we reload with so many possibilities with guys that are only Jrs with a ton of young, even more talented guys coming up behind them.  You are starting to see that on both lines.  All we are lacking is the experience, but make no mistake, we have the depth and it is coming along.  We have had good recruiting classes the last couple of years.  

We have the depth of raw talent on the roster now.  What we are lacking is maturity (physical in some cases, as well as  mental football maturity) and experience with our depth right right now.  

When we entered the BE and BCS level of play, we took a huge jump in competition level.  We also made a huge shift in talent level, but it needs time to develop.  I would challenge anyone to show me a team in the top 25 that has as many underclassmen starting as we do.

Let me spell it out here.  We are competitive now, but setting up for a long run for the next several years (and hopefully beyond) to do some significant things.  Just look beyond the Tribune's headlines and I think you will be enlightened to what is really going on here.  It's not that difficult to understand.

I agree with everything you've said, but one cant help but bring up what RU has done in comparison to us.  Yes, 3 years ago, our talent was build during our I-A independent/C-USA days, but that talent alone from florida SHOULD have been good enough to win games against teams like KU, UCONN (last year) and RU... remember, this is the same RU program that was a garbage program that lost to I-AA NEW HAMPSHIRE.  And within less than half a decade, Schiano has them 5-0, ranked in the top 25, competing for a Big East title, and beating US with OUR OWN kids.  That has to hold some weight.

My point is, our road to being nationally ranked SHOULD be easier than Rutgers (a program 1000 miles away recruiting our kids, a program left for dead in the college football landscape, and a BCS program that was losing to I-AA schools).  Yet, the find a way to leapfrog our efforts.

I think what this all boils down to a fact that there IS something wrong.. some on here hold on to the whole, "we're only 10 years old, be patient" mentality, and the others are in the, "quit making the 'we're only 10 years old' excuse, there's something wrong with either coaching or recruiting" camp.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

i'm not completely sold on this staff, but im willing to be patient at this point. i think leavitt has earned the right to see what he can do with a few BCS conference caliber recruiting classes.

i was proud of the team tonight; we had our chances. personally, i think the sky is the limit for the bulls. schiano and petrino will likely bail on their programs in the near future and i could see wannstedt bailing, too, one day. say what you want about leavitt, but at least the guy appears to be in it for the long haul.

usf just needs to bring in as much talent as possible and keep putting one foot in front of the other. we've got an advantage over our big east opponents in terms of locale, etc. and we need to make the most out of that. the tampa market has only begun to be tapped, imo, and we will continue to grow.

we're just taking our lumps as the new kid on the block. our time will come.

btw, "long-time reader / first time poster", so a big whassup to everyone. go bulls.

we have people that want to give leavitt a lifetime contract

he looks like an out of control nut on the sidelines.no poise no sense of control

leavitt is a terrible coach

special teams arent good and our defense cant tackle.

his staff is worse from OC to other assistants that can teach basis of football

we are 13-15 since 2004

can we fire smazza? http://www.firesmazza.com

I'll pay for the bandwidth on that site...

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

Face it; we are a mid major school.  Recruiting therefore reflects that.  One year we have a running back and no QB.  This year we have a QB but no K and RB.  Next year will be something else and on and on.  The model to follow to get out of that mid major cycle is Louisville and to an extent Rutgers.  Without a full commitment $$ from the school we are going no where, and if we make the commitment now it will take time.  It took Louisville about 5 years.

I will continue to purchase season tickets as I have since day one, but .500 seasons (prediction) are getting old.  Go to this site and look at expenditures and revenues.

http://ope.ed.gov/ATHLETICS/Search.asp

Correction - we WERE mid major.  We've not had anywhere near a full cycle of years to recruit in the BCS.  As a result, when a player gets hurt or suspended, all of our depth behind is extremely young.  When that 2nd player goes out, we're forced to use 1st or 2nd year guys that have not practiced with the starting team ever.  They might be GREAT talents.  They could even be potential NFL talents...in 3-4 years.  However, it doesnt matter when you put them out there with no cohesiveness or practice.

Until we've had a few more years, we just don't have the depth to suspend ponton, have plancher get hurt, and then start really young guys.  The only positions we have significant depth at are linebacker and kind of in corner.  However, many of our most recent recruiting classes *will* be good in the future, if coached as they should be.

LEAVITT KNOWS WERE WE ARE HURTING ON DEPTH CHART

WHY DIDNT HE RECRUIT JUCO PLAYER STHAT CAN COME IN AND PLAY?

OUR LINEPLAY IS TERRIBLE

OUR LACK OF DEPTH IS LEAVITT'S FAULT

You're whining about something that's a double bind here.  We can't recruit big time recruits in droves because we're not big time.  Then we lose games because we don't have big time recruits.

How do you suggest Leavitt recruits better Smazza?  Should he put up a tent in the next javaris james' yard?  Call the next chris leak no less than 234 times?  He can't pay them.

All he can do is coach.  On defense, he's pretty good all things considered.  On offense, he needs someone to help him out.  Rod Smith has never shown me he's the man (he's no norv turner, for example).

You need time AND luck to jump into the big time...funny how programs that manage stay there.  It's like there's a line, and it's VERY hard to cross no matter which side you're on.  Nebraska had an awful year and an average one back to back, but still had recruits and depth to survive a coaching change after a .500 season, 6-6!!!!!!!!  A 6-6 team.  Most people say they're big time now, and they've yet to lose less than 3 games since what, 2001?

We don't have that name.  We can't recruit like them just yet.  We just have to hope that Leavitt is truly enough that once we have a full cast of BE recruits, we will contend for the BE title yearly.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I agree with everything you've said, but one cant help but bring up what RU has done in comparison to us.  Yes, 3 years ago, our talent was build during our I-A independent/C-USA days, but that talent alone from florida SHOULD have been good enough to win games against teams like KU, UCONN (last year) and RU... remember, this is the same RU program that was a garbage program that lost to I-AA NEW HAMPSHIRE.  And within less than half a decade, Schiano has them 5-0, ranked in the top 25, competing for a Big East title, and beating US with OUR OWN kids.  That has to hold some weight.

My point is, our road to being nationally ranked SHOULD be easier than Rutgers (a program 1000 miles away recruiting our kids, a program left for dead in the college football landscape, and a BCS program that was losing to I-AA schools).  Yet, the find a way to leapfrog our efforts.

I think what this all boils down to a fact that there IS something wrong.. some on here hold on to the whole, "we're only 10 years old, be patient" mentality, and the others are in the, "quit making the 'we're only 10 years old' excuse, there's something wrong with either coaching or recruiting" camp.

Man, this becomes an exhausting argument.  First of all, it was only the first game of the Big East season and we lost by 2 points.  We lost because of a dropped 2 point conversion and a 53 yard FG by the one of the top 3 kickers in the country.  Please remind me again, how many yards did our # 1 running back have last night.  Zero.  Oh yeah, I forgot, he blew his Knee out in game one so we turned to our number 2 and most experienced RB and he had.....oh yeah he's just plain stupid.  How does that indicate there is something fundamentally wrong with the program?

You make it sound like just because we can recruit in FL that anyone we throw out there will be good enough to beat the likes of the #2 RB in the country, the best TE in the country and the best FB in the country.  Two Heisman candidates in that group (all from the NY area by the way).  You do realize that Schiano was a coach at UM and probably has at least the same relationships/credibility if not more in some key areas of the state than our coaches do.  Especially in South Forida.  Schiano is a very good coach.  if you have not read the news lately, his name is very prominently being thrown around to replace Coker at Miami.  You have to give him his credit.  

He has done a fantastic job.

What baffles me is why anyone would say that a 2 point loss to Rutgers would lead anyone to believe or state that something is wrong with our program.  We'll never know, but there is a good argument to be made that if this game was played  (or the KU game is played) in week 7 or beyond that we have a chance of winning and possibly winning big.  Again, it is a matter of depth had a lot to do with the losses.

Question.  If you look at the bigger picture (beyond the last 2 weeks and forward to next year and beyond)  Would you rather be in our shoes, being we are competitve right now in the BE with only 3 Srs (only 1 key player, Watson) on O (5 Soph 1 RS fresh starter) and 2 SR Starters on D or Rutgers' situation losing 8 SRs including Leonard and Clark (and you never know what Rice is thinking)?

In my opinion Rutgers has been built for maximum success this year and like UCONN did a couple of years ago will have to rebuild for a couple of years.  Whereas our team is built to compete this year and excel in 2007 and beyond.  If they do peak this year and Schiano is offered the 'canes job what happens then?

I still think we have a good chance at ending this year on equal par with Rutgers in the BE (although they will end up above us because of head to head), but for the future, I think we are in a much better position than they are.

Give Schaino and Rutgers credit for what he has done, but something wrong with our program?  No way.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

I don't think we're a bad team.  We just shoot ourselves in the foot with random stupid plays, like rushing on 3rd and 24.  And the interceptions!!  God, those kill us!  I won't even mention the running game since we don't have one besides Grothe.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,386
  • Days Won:  10

However, it wouldn't be fair to the other 97% of team that has done the right things to not have the best chance of winning by letting these guys go.

I think they can police themselves.  In the Air Force, we called it a G.I. party (some of the veterans here will recognize it).  First, these players don't get to play again.  Then, next year and in the future, the team realizes that it is a cohesive unit whereby everything one player does can hurt the whole team.  Then, the 6'5" 320 lb. players "enforce" the discipline on the 6' 190 lb. Tokateers in a quiet time in the locker room after the first positive test.  There won't be a second.  This is called leadership.  You want to hurt the whole team, the whole team gets to express themselves to you in an unmistakeable way.

It's not pretty, but it works.