• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

possible temporary solution to the RB position

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Ean is a playmaker, but he really doesn't solve our current RB's main problem... not hitting the holes.  Watch Williams, Smith, et al as they approach the line.  They hesitate, hold up looking for that perfect hole to zip through for 15 yards.  Ean is a similar guy, running east/west until he jukes that one guy for the big gain... shows it time and time again on PRs (which works just fine, but won't IMO as a tailback).

We need a back who isn't afraid to hit the hole and fall forward for 4 yards.  Haven't had that yet this year, and as much as I love Ean, he ain't the guy.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

and the Denson idea has a lot of merit. He could run up the gut

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

I like the idea of running the option with him, but never, ever, ever should he be running between the tackles. He would get killed. A reverse gives him open field to work with and at worst, he gets tackled by a LB. I just don't see him as a viable option as an every down back. Courtney Denson on the other hand might not be so bad of an idea.

The denson idea looks good!   Option outside tackles with ean good!   I would love to see some inside screens with randolph....   Bullypulpit-  300 pounds.. I am not touching that!

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501
  • Days Won:  0

a la Brian Fisher w/o the child support issues  ;)

Speaking of that, I was watching some of the 'Bama game the other day, and that touch down he ran in was PRETTY!  I think ER could do something similar.  

Ean is a playmaker, but he really doesn't solve our current RB's main problem... not hitting the holes.  Watch Williams, Smith, et al as they approach the line.  They hesitate, hold up looking for that perfect hole to zip through for 15 yards.  Ean is a similar guy, running east/west until he jukes that one guy for the big gain... shows it time and time again on PRs (which works just fine, but won't IMO as a tailback).

We need a back who isn't afraid to hit the hole and fall forward for 4 yards.  Haven't had that yet this year, and as much as I love Ean, he ain't the guy.

I've noticed that as well-- they need to run strong to the hole.

Just remember that Smith isn't exactly a giant himself.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Nope... we don't have a lot of size back there.  Do we even have a Fullback?

we have fullbacks.

If you look back at the media pics, you'll see just how large Ponton is comparatively to the other guys.

We had one walk on FB that impressed me during the Spring game. Big, fast, powerful. We could use some of that right about now but we are sticking with the single back set for the most part.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

Nope... we don't have a lot of size back there.  Do we even have a Fullback?

That is what I was wondering all game long against FIU and UCF. If we do not have a serviceable one, place Bleakley back there as a FB and allow him to try and create a hole in the middle for one of our RBs out of an I-form set. That way Smith, Williams, Dorsey, Denson, Randolph, Julmiste, Erskin, or whoever else we try back there doesn't have to worry about finding a hole, just follow your lead blocker.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

Denson at RB is a good idea.  He is not playing in the defensive backfield, so no loss there.  

I'm not sure all the blame lies with the RB's though.  Williams, Smith, and Dorsey all looked good against McNeese, but against better teams FIU and UCF were invisible.  The O-Line wasn't exactly opening huge holes in those games.  On most running plays against UCF Capogna was pushed several yards back in the backfield.  I'm scared to think what will happen against the better teams coming up on the schedule.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Until we get Ponton back, how about this...

Let's try Ean Randolph at tailback. We've done some reverse plays and stuff with him in the backfield with some success. But as elusive as that guy is, maybe a few reps here and there at tailback might be justified. We are fairly deep at WR, not so much at RB.

It might be the bandaid needed to get us through to Mr. Ponton coming back into the fold. It might be worth a try-- what do we have to lose?

bad idea

not easy to switch positions like that at 1a level with  big east opponents coming up

problem appears to be with Ol also

thanks for trying