• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

possible temporary solution to the RB position

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Until we get Ponton back, how about this...

Let's try Ean Randolph at tailback. We've done some reverse plays and stuff with him in the backfield with some success. But as elusive as that guy is, maybe a few reps here and there at tailback might be justified. We are fairly deep at WR, not so much at RB.

It might be the bandaid needed to get us through to Mr. Ponton coming back into the fold. It might be worth a try-- what do we have to lose?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and with him in the backfield, Grothe could roll out with Ean in tow (sort of an option) and either throw it, run it, or toss it to Ean. I think it opens our offense up to alot of plays and keeps the defense guessing

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

i agree...mentioned it somewhere else...i think we should keep trying smith, dorsey, and williams, but mix in Ean maybe a little more.  option sounds good to me.  we already do those throws to the sidelines and reverses, like you said, so why not try him at a few other places on the field

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

I like the idea of running the option with him, but never, ever, ever should he be running between the tackles. He would get killed. A reverse gives him open field to work with and at worst, he gets tackled by a LB. I just don't see him as a viable option as an every down back. Courtney Denson on the other hand might not be so bad of an idea.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

how big is Randolph? He's certainly quick, but I'm worried about him getting hurt taking it up the middle. Getting tackled by DB's is one thing, Defensive Tackles are another.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Great idea...brought it up too in other spots.  Without a real effective running game, mainly because of the talent back there, we've got to get creative with the rushing attack.  I thought Smith did a good job against UCF, WR's screens, an end-around, two reverses, he even brought Ean in motion and had him line-up in the backfield on one particular play.  You can incorporate the receivers into the running game, a short receiver screen or bubble screen, or shovel pass is just like a running play.

I would suggest more than having him stand in the backfield as a conventional RB it might be even better to utilize more of a Wing style offense with Ean flaring in and out of the backfield from the receiver position.  This would force teams to have to be skeptical on how we'll use Ean everytime he lines up, it will continue to force them to stay in the nickel because they've got to respect his receiving prowess.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Randolph is 5-9 175...not really big enough to be a tailback...and I like him at reciever and returner...leave him there so he doesnt get hurt

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

If he is 175, then I weigh 300 lbs.....which I don't.  ;D

He looks awefully tiny to me. I like the idea of using Denson at RB. His speed and knowledge of the offense would help. I like the idea of a few designed plays for Ean to keep the defense on its heels, but we need a consistant between the tackles running threat aside from Grothe.

if they can't catch you, they can't hit you.

Have you seen this cat in the open field? bodies flying everywhere as he dances through them.

I never said make him run up the gut. Christ-- that would be stupid as hell. But off tackle-- hell yes. If he saw an opening on the dge-- carry it out there.

EVERY DOWN BACK? I NEVER said that. He could be in there for a few plays every now and then to mix it up. Hell-- put him and Dorsey in the backfield and have Ean go in motion--- it isn't all about dive plays in  football.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

yeah the guy would never get hurt returning punts...he played RB in HS at around 160lbs.  

I wouldn't suggest making him an every down back, but Rocket Ismael played a lot of RB in a similar fashion for ND in the early 90's, he was no bigger than Ean.  No one says give him 20 carries a game, but flare him back there...if he's at receiver, and Walt Smith is on one side and we're in a 3-4 receiver set teams must respect and stay in a nickel or dime.  You could bring him up to line-up in a pro-set backfield splitting Matt...He fakes a hand-off to Walt up the middle and pitch tosses to Ean running outside.  Or he has Ean behind him, and Walt in front of him running to the outside on an option...

All are areas where Ean could excel running the ball.