• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Those who want UCF series are shortsighted

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

It is the difference between the short and long term.  We have to grow and UCF only slows that down IMO.

You know there are a ton of Kanigit "Guests" out there peeking in just dying for someone to point them to an illustrated guide on how to register so they can respond to this blasphemy  ..... Everybody wave at them .... action-smiley-069.gif

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

we should play ucf but only every 5 to seven years or so

after 2008 we should not play them until 2012 or beyond.

every cows arse needs a break from the gnats

Exactly, mix them in here and there but don't commit regularly to any of them.

I think that is the point many have tried to make including the starter of this thread, our fine Bulls Fan from the Lone Star State.  Why allow ourselves to be goaded or roped into anything with anyone that is not in "the best interest of our program"?

Ah, there's the rub.  There is no absolute answer for what is "the best interest of the program".

If USF supposedly risks's something by playing UCF, don't we risk EVEN MORE by playing teams WORSE than the Knights?

None of us here knows for sure what the best interest of the program is... that is such a subjective area.

Speaking of best interests of the program...

Sorry to disagree with the people that only want games that be driven round trip on one tank of gas.

Aren't we trying to build a fan base that will actually travel to games??  We already play 3 or 4 games every season in the northeast and midwest - can't we at least get a couple in the south? Southern Miss... ECU... UAB... Tulane... those are easy-to-get-to games, too.

Also, I agree with Reaper here, bringing in the WKUs and Ball States of the world will not inspire people to buy season tickets... and will not bring a large number of traveling fans.  Close opponents are good for home games, too.

2 different issues:

1) level of competition on our schedule

2) Scheduling UCF on a regular basis

I agree totally that we should be bringing in better opponents, however I disagree that UCF should be an annual game. Let me ask you this honestly, if ucf was located up north would you be looking at them in a different light than buffalo or ball state? Take away the proximity and there isn't much of a difference IMO

You're right. If UCF was UCPA no one would be talking about them.  But they are not... the reasons for the game have a lot to do with the fact that the schools are so close in distance, in age, in size, in perceived level of the degrees, in time playing I-A football, etc.

My general issue is not that the UCF series is ending, my problem is who is replacing the Knights.  I don't see how those programs could be any better than UCF for our efforts to become a Big 4 / National power.

If nothing else, it's a Kansas State model - play lesser teams and build the wins and losses.  Sure, UCF is a lesser team - but at least there are SOME positives to the game.  I don't see any positives to a Ball State or Buffalo.  To me, those games are ALL downside.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Jim, it's certianly not in the best interest of the program to be tied into the "Little Two" game every year.  Period.  Our own local media looks down upon it, yet they want us to embrace it?  

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

Exactly :)

Jim, it's certianly not in the best interest of the program to be tied into the "Little Two" game every year.  Period.  Our own local media looks down upon it, yet they want us to embrace it?  

Sorry, I don't see where the "Little Two" came from the media... I saw that from the post.

I have said that I no longer think this series should be one that we play every year... but it is MORE shortsighted to replace a mediocre team with two or three really bad teams.  Give me Southern Miss.  Give me Tulane.  At the very least give me Vanderbilt or Duke or Baylor, at least they are technically BCS.

But if anyone thinks we can get into the Big Three by playing crappy teams, then you may be as deluded as I.  To do that we need to play - and beat - Top 50 teams, not Bottom Ten teams.

If the Bull Brother in the Lone Star State wants us to dream, at least make our opponents better.

ill be glad when this game is over and we can move on to normal football discussions.

it seems like every thread turns into the same crap.  i am getting sick of reading these threads over and over again.

I understand, man.  Once the game passes we can talk about the results and let the "rivalry" issue die down for at least a year.

By then we may have better news about future schedules that could render this discussion moot anyway.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

If USF supposedly risks's something by playing UCF, don't we risk EVEN MORE by playing teams WORSE than the Knights?

no, the knights would make sure to squeese every last bit of negative press for us that they possibly can. They would use it in the media, to the recruits and the fans. If they could find any angle at all to bring us down they will. I don't believe the other teams would have this agenda.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Sorry, I don't see where the "Little Two" came from the media... I saw that from the post.

I have said that I no longer think this series should be one that we play every year... but it is MORE shortsighted to replace a mediocre team with two or three really bad teams.  Give me Southern Miss.  Give me Tulane.  At the very least give me Vanderbilt or Duke or Baylor, at least they are technically BCS.

But if anyone thinks we can get into the Big Three by playing crappy teams, then you may be as deluded as I.  To do that we need to play - and beat - Top 50 teams, not Bottom Ten teams.

If the Bull Brother in the Lone Star State wants us to dream, at least make our opponents better.

That's why we have a 4 game series with UM, with 2 at rayjay, and play AU and UF.  With more games like these to follow.  Long term schedules have not been set yet.