• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ramifications if usf loses to ftu/oc/ou

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

USF is not clear cut #4 like half of you think. Perception is reality. The local rags, experts, etc would say that neither team is. In fact, with the lack of press and bad press USF gets I wouldnt make such strong statements.

PS UCF was listen in the AP poll behind FSU last year at around #30, USF was not.

You guys are funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny

Hey Smazza,

You have a point. I would have to concede that USF has the better team until proven otherwise ON the field. However, from general perceptions I dont think there is a distinction made as the #1 step-child in Florida. In addition, the UCF team you played last year was the remenence of a debacle that started with something similar to what USF is going through right now. If I were you, I would be realistic and realize that the same thing can happen at USF. Lets break it down.

USF

Short History, Great Stides

BCS Status

Used superior strategy of playing lesser teams to build and then beating several marquee programs.

Not many starters in NFL

name recognition average

Defeated UL and Pitt

No OCS

Poor revenue streams

Small Fan Base

Average Facilities

Average Academics

Lower Football Academics Standings

Less Publicity

BEAT UCF

UCF

Long History

Scheduled Marquee programs and constantly got beat down except for the Daunte Days.

~dozen starters in NFL

Name recognition average

Never defeated ranked team

OCS

Larger Fan Base

Better Revenue streams as of 07

Excellent facilites

Average Academics

Higher Football Acad. Standards

More Publicity

LOSS TO USF

I would say the programs both have their advantages. You may disagree with my analysis and I appreciate your opinion. However, I think there is no #4, just 3 and the rest. USF being #4 is a figment of your imagination along with the rest of the fans on this board. Until it is received by the media and the state of Florida it really means nothing does it?

Most of the "publicity" UCF received last year was due to the pat on the back they got for actually managing to win a game. When you're the only team in 1A to not win a game, *any* kind of victory is going to get you decent attention on Sportscenter. People felt sorry for you!

It goes to show, if you set your standards low enough, ANYTHING seems like success.

Rather get publicity as a cinderella story than for smoking weed, stealing cameras, and failing school..LOL. I dont think TCC/HCC/SFU has been around long enough to go through a down period. I am confident out Duante team would have creamed any team you ever fielded. In addition, we will be destroying you Saturday. I have been watching USF on catch 47. Your offense looks like a HS offense.

1. I'm not sure "down period" and "winless season" are even close to the same thing. USF has had down periods - we call them back-to-back losses. UCF calls them back-to-back seasons.

2. Considering USF didn't even have a team when Culpepper was in town, I'm not sure what your point is. Culpepper is good, no doubt, but a lot of good it did that program, right?

3. Are you really arguing that UCF players are angels? Get real. Of course, that could help explain 2004.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

USF has had down periods - we call them back-to-back losses. UCF calls them back-to-back seasons.

That's good enough to be in one's tag line below...   ;D

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

USF is not clear cut #4 like half of you think. Perception is reality. The local rags, experts, etc would say that neither team is. In fact, with the lack of press and bad press USF gets I wouldnt make such strong statements.

PS UCF was listen in the AP poll behind FSU last year at around #30, USF was not.

You guys are funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny

Hey Smazza,

You have a point. I would have to concede that USF has the better team until proven otherwise ON the field. However, from general perceptions I dont think there is a distinction made as the #1 step-child in Florida. In addition, the UCF team you played last year was the remenence of a debacle that started with something similar to what USF is going through right now. If I were you, I would be realistic and realize that the same thing can happen at USF. Lets break it down.

USF

Short History, Great Stides

BCS Status

Used superior strategy of playing lesser teams to build and then beating several marquee programs.

Not many starters in NFL

name recognition average

Defeated UL and Pitt

No OCS

Poor revenue streams

Small Fan Base

Average Facilities

Average Academics

Lower Football Academics Standings

Less Publicity

BEAT UCF

UCF

Long History

Scheduled Marquee programs and constantly got beat down except for the Daunte Days.

~dozen starters in NFL

Name recognition average

Never defeated ranked team

OCS

Larger Fan Base

Better Revenue streams as of 07

Excellent facilites

Average Academics

Higher Football Acad. Standards

More Publicity

LOSS TO USF

I would say the programs both have their advantages. You may disagree with my analysis and I appreciate your opinion. However, I think there is no #4, just 3 and the rest. USF being #4 is a figment of your imagination along with the rest of the fans on this board. Until it is received by the media and the state of Florida it really means nothing does it?

Most of the "publicity" UCF received last year was due to the pat on the back they got for actually managing to win a game. When you're the only team in 1A to not win a game, *any* kind of victory is going to get you decent attention on Sportscenter. People felt sorry for you!

It goes to show, if you set your standards low enough, ANYTHING seems like success.

Rather get publicity as a cinderella story than for smoking weed, stealing cameras, and failing school..LOL. I dont think TCC/HCC/SFU has been around long enough to go through a down period. I am confident out Duante team would have creamed any team you ever fielded. In addition, we will be destroying you Saturday. I have been watching USF on catch 47. Your offense looks like a HS offense.

Ill take last years team against Pepps teams because Pepp wouldnt get the ball off he would be on his back....

As for our offense we run that good ole gimmicky spread offense that was an Urban Myer/Rich Rodriguez creation (i am not a fan).  This offense is what is envogue right now in college football (even though i hate it as good LB speed [which you guys lack] and a steady disciplined secondary can stop it dead in its tracks).  If you want to say something about our offense talk about our lack of experiecne in the back field.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

It's just another game until they beat us on the field.

If we beat the piss out of UCF, what are they going to say? They blow off last years win like it was no big deal, but you can be certain they would be waving that in our face non-stop had they actually beaten us.

Even if we squeek out a win (popular winning method this year for the Bulls), I'm sure they will find someone to spin it as a moral victory or a "we got robbed" slant.

The facts are simple to me. Both schools are wet behind the ears. Neither has done anything to warrant being including with the Big Three but you could say that about many programs throughout the country. WE -- USF/UCF -- will always be the baby brothers in the equation of the Big Three. USF has a bit of a step up in terms of BCS status-- that will change at some point imo.

COmparing facilities and boasts about OCS? WHo gives a rats ass? RJS is still a fantastic venue. I don't need to be on USF property to enjoy watching my school play football and this whole concept of "Larger revenue streams" is total horsefeathers. You may have larger streams coming in but you have also got to factor in the debt service on that OCS. We rent a very nice place to play. Who needs to own it? Have you ever owned a boat? I'd rather charter one and not have to worry about 365 days a year. Anyway-- our OCS will come someday-- probably when RJS starts to become less than nice-- but more likely based on full coffers and better fan interest to warrant the action. UCF building one makes total sense and I applaud them for pulling the trigger. The Citrus Bowl was more of a bandaid than a proper solution-- just as the Old Sombrero would have been for USF had RJS never been built.

Anyway-- good luck on Saturday to the Knight fans and team. Try to act civil to the USF fans coming over there. IF you want a rivalry-- fine-- please act like proper hosts and encourage all of your fans to follow suit. Put your tour guide hats on and encourage more tourists-- we are both used to doing that.

But let's also be realistic about the rivalry thing. If it is truly a football rivalry in the making, it is in the embryonic stage at best. Nurture that.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

HARDLY JUST ANOTHER GAME AND USF HASNT BEATEN THE PISS OUT OF ANYONE IN QUITE SOMETIME

FTU/OU/OC IS PERCEIVED BY NATIONAL MEDIA TO BE ON PAR WITH USF SO A WIN IS BIG FOR THE PROGRAM

THE ISSUES HAVE BEEN THOROUGHLY BRIEFED IT IS TIME FOR THE DECISION

we beat the piss out of UCF last year

we beat the piss out of Louisville last year. there are others.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I think Steve is just getting his game face on...

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I think Steve is just getting his game face on...

alecwoods.jpg

call me crazy, but I get the impression losing to UCF would make smazza happy since he can then go on the rampage

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Lets face it, if FIU hadnt fumbled the ball on their own 30 you would have been done

FIU fumbled on third down.  They were stopped.  We had timeouts left.  They would have had to punt on fourth.  We might have even scored the final TD one play sooner had they punted.   ;D

But since you didn't see the game you don't know any of that...