• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A new "First Down" Chant/Tradition idea!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

I have to say, I'm not digging the whole "First Down...." *wait for it* "BULLS" thing that's being tried out here.  Conceptually, it's fine, but it's not very original.  Nothing about it says "USF" to me... I mean, stick in any team name there and you have yourself a chant.

I was watching a replay of Troy's near knock-off of FSU last night, and I started to get really annoyed at the FSU "warchant" song being played after every first down.  But isn't that the point?  You hear it and you think "FSU", you think "first down FSU" or "touchdown FSU" and you have that dumb ax gesture that's annoying to everyone else but EVERYONE does it.

We need something like this.

Picture this...

Grothe drops back, nobody open, so he hits the hole, busts free for a 16 yard gain.  First down Bulls!  Immediately, the Herd of Thunder launches into the first four bars of "#8"... DUM-dum-dum-DUM-dum-dum-Dum-dum-dum... the crowd waves the bull sign around, and at the end, when the little four-bar interlude of #8 ends with a staccato orchestra hit, the circling "Go Bulls" sign is thrust forward in a first down motion!

C'mon, it's frigging genius!

Something like this has to happen.  Something that's us... USF, that screams "Bulls" and most importantly gets under the skin of everyone who hates it!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  78
  • Days Won:  0

I will give you 2 reasons why I like this.

A. It brings the HOT more into the game.

2. We can do it at Away Games !

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

I have to say, I'm not digging the whole "First Down...." *wait for it* "BULLS" thing that's being tried out here.  Conceptually, it's fine, but it's not very original.  Nothing about it says "USF" to me... I mean, stick in any team name there and you have yourself a chant.

I was watching a replay of Troy's near knock-off of FSU last night, and I started to get really annoyed at the FSU "warchant" song being played after every first down.  But isn't that the point?  You hear it and you think "FSU", you think "first down FSU" or "touchdown FSU" and you have that dumb ax gesture that's annoying to everyone else but EVERYONE does it.

We need something like this.

Picture this...

Grothe drops back, nobody open, so he hits the hole, busts free for a 16 yard gain.  First down Bulls!  Immediately, the Herd of Thunder launches into the first four bars of "#8"... DUM-dum-dum-DUM-dum-dum-Dum-dum-dum... the crowd waves the bull sign around, and at the end, when the little four-bar interlude of #8 ends with a staccato orchestra hit, the circling "Go Bulls" sign is thrust forward in a first down motion!

C'mon, it's frigging genius!

Something like this has to happen.  Something that's us... USF, that screams "Bulls" and most importantly gets under the skin of everyone who hates it!

Yea... we are using "The Bull" or "old number 8" as the 3rd downs motavation cheer.  Notice we use it when we are in trouble and need to rally the troops... hince the repeated song during the 4th quarter.  I don't think they will change it after this year... we already did change... hopefully for good, this year.  They took out the staccato hit at the end too.  Fans are "supposed" to wave the bull horns are in a circle motion.

We ARE doing something close... not the same... but close

I love "The Bull".  It's hands down my favorite thing the HOT does.  I just think it lends itself into the perfect little post-first down tune that would annoy the piss out of the fans of the team we were running on at the time!   ;)

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991

Hard to hear HOT  in 134 (probably because we are closer to the visiting band) wish there was a way to hear HOT and the chants in our section.

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

Good news

No other bands visiting RJS that we know, everyone will hear our band then!

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

my wife and I instinctively yell "I'm lovin it".....sorry, It just happens lol

Would be nice to have something like that though. It's loud, it's intense, the fans can chant (not sing but chant, subtle but there is a difference) along with it. It REALLY pisses off the opposing fans and I'll assume the players as well. I remember years ago watching a game with a gators fan and he nearly went into frenzy of anger each time that tune played lol.

Miami has the same effect with the emperors march, and I think the militaristic chanting of Michigan's fight song is also very similar. The key is to find a piece that is meant to sound intimidating (ie...could be used while marching into battle) and give the fans something to feel like they are marching right along with team.

I think #8 is that piece.  Billy's right on... it's a rallying-cry type piece.  I think it's the piece that the crowd responds to most during the game, from what I can see.

Plus it's easy enough that kids can do it too... raise that next generation of Bulls fans.

I'm telling you, this idea is a winner!

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

That **** gamecock scream at South Carolina is by far the most annoying sound... Do bulls make really loud obnoxious sounds?  If so tape it and play it!  

Guest JulmisteForPrez
Picture this...

That's a great idea.  And I've always thought that we needed an insanely repetitive little ditty that annoys the opposing fans, coaches, & players much like UF, FSU, and Tennessee with their crappy Rocky Top garbage.  Don't think the players don't hear it, either!  You hear them talking about it in interviews all the time!

This is a great idea, and with all the games on national TV we're getting now, it won't take long for people to start identifying us with that!  

Get it started, HOT & Beef Studs!!!