• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Five years ago today...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

I realize this is a post more suited for the Mad Cow... but I wanted to take a moment to say a quick prayer for the lives of 2,996 people who died on 9/11.

A lot has changed in the years.  You may or may not agree with the political decisions our leaders have made.  But we all live in a different world.

This has been called our generation's Pearl Harbor - a unifying event of such profound importance, that we will always remember what we were doing when we heard the news.

I was at work as a Legislative Aide.  I had CNN on, and they cut in after the North Tower was hit.  I watched the 2nd plane hit the south tower.  Like many people, I sat, shocked, enthralled by the images playing out on the news.  I called my boss in Tallahassee, he hadn't heard and I told him to turn on the TV.  I was calling friends who may not have TVs, and was on the phone when the South Tower collapsed, trying to describe the images to a friend.  I watched all day.  I listened on the radio as I drove home.  I watched all night.  Still in shock.

Where were you? What were you doing?  How did you react?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

This post is suitable for every board on this site very good post

USF, Getting ready for class in my dorm in beta when some guys down the hall started to yell oh my god oh my f*#kin god. I ran down to see what was going on and they told me.There we sat (everyone on the floor) and watched the TV in one small dorm room I will never forget that day, I can not find the words to describe how I felt I guess stunned, but it doesn't real describe it to the fullest

Guest JulmisteForPrez
This has been called our generation's Pearl Harbor - a unifying event of such profound importance, that we will always remember what we were doing when we heard the news.

Sadly, it only unified this nation for a few weeks.  When some of the shock had worn off, most people (politicians especially) went right back to bickering and being unpatriotic as we ever were.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I live in CT about 60 miles from NYC.  At the time I was  Sales Manager and NYC was part of my resposnibility.  I normally spent 3 days a week in the city.  I was getting ready to leave the house to go to Brooklyn when the news came on TV.  I obviously cancelled that trip.  I had attended a dinner event the a week before at Windows on the World at the top of the Trade Center.  I was supposed to be in the Trade Center on Wednesday afternoon 9 12 for a meeting.  Luckily, all my clients were able to get out of the WTC safe.

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  116

Just got back from the PITT trip on Monday AM, still revelling in our victory, was driving into work around 8AM, bitchin about how crappy the Giants looked the night before (Central Time)...news on radio about "unidentified object" hitting tower...got into office and saw pics...how quickly the Giants loss/how they played meant absolutely nothing or did anything else, but brought back what is really important in life.

Hit the Giants game in KC the following week...mood in stadium was one that wont be forgotten, when the firemen passed the boot through the rows for donations, the boot was overflowing ...the sentiment in the stadium/country was something we may never see again

• Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  552

"Where were you? What were you doing?  How did you react?"

St. Leo- freshmen dorms watching Saved by the Bell with about 8 other people in the commons. We watched in shock as the 2nd plane hit, thinking it was another replay. My best friend tried calling his mom for hours (she worked a black of the WTC) so I pretty much comforted him and some other NY-ers until they could reach their parents. One did not- her dad died in the WTC. I can't watch it on TV I get all chocked up, especially after talking to my bestfriend this morning while he was on his commute to work in the city-- he said everyone is just quiet, not the usual small chat.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Have you forgotten,

how it felt that day?

To see your homeland under fire

And her people blown away

Have you forgotten

when those towers fell

We had neighbors still inside

goin' through a livin' hell

And we vow to get

the ones behind Bin Laden

Have you forgotten?

9-11%20Memorial%20Flag.jpg  2187.jpg

WE WILL NEVER FORGET.

:'( :'( :'( >:( >:( >:(

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1,066

I was sleeping late after watching the Giants game the previous night.  I awoke from the sound of the phone and saw that it was my parents calling at 10:00am thinking that they were going to discuss how bad the Giants played the previous night.

When I picked up the phone they were hysterical!  I was in a half-awake daze when I was trying to process what they were saying.  I was like, Yeah, right stop pulling my 3rd leg."  Then I turned on the TV and then it hit me and I dropped the phone.

I was freakin out because where I was living at the tim was right under the glide path of Tampa International.  I gathered my important documents and cats and went to a friend's house far away from the airport.

My prayers go out to all those that lost a loved one.  My prayers especially go out to the PAPD, NYPD and FDNY.  They are my brothers and sisters.  I wanted to be in NJ so bad that day because my former Fire Dept. sent in volunteers.  I would have been the first one to go to NYC that day.

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

I was a junior in high school when this occured, and was in English class when the first plane hit.  The teacher refused to never have the TV on in class, so I didn't find out what happened until the next class.  I don't think any teacher did anything that day, we were all glued to the TV's.

At first when I saw the TV, my friend said "a plane hit the WTC" and I figured it was a Cessna or some other single prop plane. When I realized what had occurred, I was in complete shock. It was something that I never imagined could have occurred.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who were lost on that day, their families, and to anyone out there in this world who fights for our freedom and safety.

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

I was a sophomore in high school. The principal had come on the intercom and made an announcement that something horrible had happened to our nation...as high schoolers, we really didn't know what was going on.The rest of the day, each class we went to, we all just sat and watched the TV's, everyone silent...