• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Top five programs on the rise FOXSports.com

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

Top five programs on the rise

Story Tools:        

Print    Email    Blog This    Subscribe  

Eric Moneypenny / Special to FOXSports.com

Complete List

Here are some schools that I wouldn't want to play over the next four or five seasons ...

5. Arizona

For Mike Stoops, it was a slower build than what his brother accomplished at Oklahoma, but remember, Arizona isn't Oklahoma. Sure, the Wildcats were only 3-8 last year, and that was WITH amazing NFL rookie Mike Bell, but I guarantee the Wildcats will go to two bowls before sophomore QB Willie Tuitama graduates. Stoops is bringing a ton of talent into the desert, and this is the year they make their big push.

4. Rutgers

Head coach Greg Schiano has done the unthinkable, which is, make Rutgers competitive. He came from the University of Miami with one plan. Keep the talent at home in New Jersey, and steal some hidden gems from his old recruiting grounds in the state of Florida. That plan finally came to fruition last season, as the Scarlet Knights reached their first bowl game since Three's Company was on TV. This season looks to be even better, as Schiano leads a talented bunch led by senior fullback Brian Leonard, one of the best players in the country at any position.

3. Clemson

Two years ago, I was certain Tommy Bowden would be a goner in Death Valley. Now, the Tigers are nationally significant, ACC title contenders, and stockpiling impressive recruits. The Tigers are on the rise, and their rabid fanbase makes for a really fun atmosphere in big-time games. Clemson has officially returned to the big time.

2. Pitt

Dave Wannstedt is bringing in a ton of talent, and Pitt football is gonna get special again real soon. Wannstedt didn't inherit enough players to pull of a Charlie Weis in his first season, but he still looks like the "next Pete Carroll" to me. Sure, Pitt was only 5-6 last year, but remember, Carroll was only 6-6 in his first season at USC. The second year, USC made a big jump, thanks to a talented senior quarterback who finally developed into the talent we all thought he would. And, playing the role of Carson Palmer this season will be Tyler Palko ...

1. Central Florida and South Florida (tie)

In 15 years, one of these two programs will be as nationally significant as Miami and FSU. South Florida has the edge being in the Big East and not Conference USA, but both programs are on the cusp of big things in the near future. This "the next Miami" or "next FSU" theory has been tossed around before with these two schools, but with both reaching bowls last season, the idea finally holds as much traction in reality as it does in EA Sports' NCAA Football dynasty mode.

Eric Moneypenny is a frequent contributor to FOXSports.com.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

Wow.  And 3 of the 5 are Big East teams.  Very nice.  

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

great for big east

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  698

3 Big East teams...Its good to see us up at number 1 but I hate to share it with UCF

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

How can we be tied with the Knats after that beat down last year?   ;D

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879

Just keep whipping them and that will change.

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Its about programs on the rise, not about who beat who last year.  

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I have a lot of respect for UCF and their fans (except a handful that frequent this board).  I think their fans deserve some type of award just for coming out when they where 0-17.  What do you think UF, FSU, or even USF attendance would look like if we lost  that much.

While I don't think UCF is any where near the program USF is today, I think that UCF should probably be ranked ahead of USF in year over year improvement (program on the rise).  The team went from like 20 straight weeks as the lowest team on ESPN's bottom 10 to a bowl game.  Granted they are in a very weak conference and they attended a very weak bowl, still I think they did show the most improvement.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

Its about programs on the rise, not about who beat who last year.  

Exactly ..... and you pretty much can't help but be on the rise after going 0-17.

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

That new stadium on campus looks like a program on the rise.... Still don't like them but you have to give them props.