• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Three Starters Facing Suspensions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

My opinion is thatthe punishment (suspensions) fit the offense.

I'm sure this has happened in the past and because we were not as high a profile team, the players quietly either served out their suspensions or quietly disappeared from the team.  As we move up the ranks and become a bigger program with more sought after players, this will happen from time to time.  It's not right, but it's the reality of big time football.

We certainly are not alone with this situation and there are a hell of a lot worse situations out there they seem to be tolerated.  In fact there was a segment on ESPN last night about all the things that USC has gone through this past year or so.

Let's remember, these players allegedly tested positive during internal random tests.  This is a bit different from Hill being arrested.  There's a policy in place and the players are subject to the penalties of the policy.  They are being punished and not given preferential treatment.  Are they stupid?  Absolutely!  However, I don't think it's time to throw them out yet.

usc is 3 deep at every position and they win consistently

usf cant afford to lose 3 starters and have this new program smeared

leavitt has let things spiral out of control

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I think the situation is being handled in a manner that should be acceptable to all. These guys are so entrenched in Leavitt's doghouse they will have to be angels (and have been angels) throughout the duration of this ordeal to even sniff the playing field. USF Football is a family and this is a family problem. Nobody was arrested, nobody was physically hurt. If the USF Family chooses to allow these players to play after a two game suspension, I say so be it. They are still one strike away from being kicked off the team regardless of whether they are suspended for two games or six games.

And for all of those attacking a "double standard" for these privileged athletes, how many other students at USF are held to this standard? I received a free ride at USF and never had to undergo a drug test. The double standard is that these kids are held to a higher standard than any other student at USF. I think the punishment system is more than adequate and I also think that this is an internal "family" matter that should NEVER be reported publically. Allow people to speculate and throw around rumors, but at then end of the day you have to protect your family.

if these guys dont play(because they are in doghouse) the entire program suffers.that isnt fair to the team.

if leavitt is so tough why are there drug problems on this team

leavitt needs to clean up this team asap

so much for a 10-0 start

and we still have pj at qb.at least he didnt  test positive.

where are the team leaders?  oh it is the leaders smoking pot!

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594
  • Days Won:  0

Technically, the NCAA requires a one-year ban from competition for any player found to be using a banned substance.

Read here to see the list. Marijuana is on the list, which is why Leavitt can't comment on players busted for drugs -- because we'd have to report it to the NCAA.

For what it's worth, the NCAA commission on drug policy has recommended decreasing the penalty for street drugs to half its current amount, but the point stands that the NCAA bans a player for one year if he or she is caught using any of the banned substances.

And that's why you'll hear "violation of team rules" instead of "marijuana."

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Exactly Bobcat...see Ryan Moore at Miami. The media is saying it's a 3rd failed Drug test in a year giving him an"indefinite" suspension.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

so much for a 10-0 start

I don't think we were going to go 10-0 to start the season anyways.  Let's be realistic about this folks, this isn't good for the team, but it doesn't affect the overall outlook that dramatically.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

The sky is far from falling ...

want a disaster? Check out one of the huricane threads.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

so much for a 10-0 start

I don't think we were going to go 10-0 to start the season anyways.  Let's be realistic about this folks, this isn't good for the team, but it doesn't affect the overall outlook that dramatically.

I agree while it would have been nice to have Ponton as a 3rd down back, I think this team can endure these losses. 10-0 was a stretch to start with. (see this is why we can't have people making very very long shot predictions...because the lawyer turns it into gloom and doom posts)

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

Joe, the whole idea of having players smoking weed during the season is proposterous! Think about it! Do you want our team to be known as the Pot Heads instead of the Bulls? I sure as heck don't. Maybe that is why Ponton was fumbling so much last year! Maybe that's why Julmiste kept getting winded on Defense? If you smoke the dope, you WILL pay the price. Co=ordination, lung capacity, stamina are all health issues. Remember, we are just one step away from jailtime for making that "one" mistake. These kids have an obligation, and that is to play football, stay in the best shape possible, get a great education that is paid for, and be a success in life. Smoking dope and being an athlete is the biggest oxymoron I have heard!   Reaper

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

The sad part of all this is that drug use enjoys such a high incidence in the college student age group that the fact that a third of the team hasn't tested positive (twice, I guess, for us to have heard about it) is almost impressive. The U.S. Department of Justice website states that in 2004, 34% of all high school seniors used marijuana in the past 12 months, and 70% used alcohol. It also says 33% of college students used marijuana during the year. I do not condone the use of any illegal substance by athletes (or anyone, for that matter), but it's actually sort of a good thing it's not more prevalent than it is.

Hopefully, some sort of internal punishment aside from a 6-game suspension can be worked out. Hopefully the appeal is granted pending a negative test now, and they submit to bi-weekly drug tests from here on out such that another positive means they're out (or something to that effect). Obviously, I don't know the rest of the circumstances regarding these players or the incidents, but from a fan's perspective, I'm hoping they'll be out on the field for the UCF game and clean from drugs hereafter. =)

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

they submit to bi-weekly drug tests from here on out such that another positive means they're out

The tests were failed in June, and the players are required to submit to routine testing now.  Under the current policy, if they fail again, they are history - loss of scholarship and off the team.