• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is the Times writer pulling a John Kerry?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

With all due respect to all parties involved here...

The Times eats the Trib's coverage of USF for lunch.  Auman kicks 10 different levels of ass in his access to and coverage of USF athletics in general, but particularly of the football team.

It sounds to me that what Greg was doing was calling Notre Dame for a follow up on the possibility of a game... something's wrong with that?   Were we just supposed to sit around and wait for it to happen by itself?  Instead of making stuff up, Greg's pursuing a story.  It's what good reporters do.  I don't care if he went to the International Academy of Art and Design, if he consistently gets valid USF news to me over breakfast each day, more power to him.

By the way, Greg, tell your bosses that I signed on to the Times for a year, a decision based solely on the stellar USF coverage you've been giving us.  I want a kickback on your next raise, though.   ;)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

By the way, Greg, tell your bosses that I signed on to the Times for a year, a decision based solely on the stellar USF coverage you've been giving us.  ...

Be sure to send a note to the Sports Editor also ...

Guest Sprtsfn627

Appreciate what these guys do for the program. ...

2nd !

And another thing that I think many take for granted, the ease of getting questions answered by our SID.

I have emailed him many times and ALWAYS have received an aswer.

And this goes with the communication we get from Eric S.

Third!  I thank both Mr. Auman and Mr. McMurphy for their coverage of USF sports. In my eyes, they both do a great job.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Once the Dark Side takes hold of you it is nearly impossible to shake off.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

We should be able to read both newspapers online and feel like the information is credible with respect to the USF beat. It seems like there is a hidden agenda when it comes to accurate reporting at times with the Times.

If your hidden agenda accusation is to include blogs, you're absolutely correct .... except you have the wrong paper. Just compare the current blogs to see who has some sort of hidden agenda.

Their first agenda is to call the Tribune wrong, and then try to piece together the facts later regardless if the Tribune was right.

The key word there is "facts". One paper seems to rely on them more than the other. "Grothe passing Julmiste by" immediately comes to mind. The Huggy and the mysterious bigtime USF boosters caper also pops in....

At least Auman has had the balls to say he missed the boat on a story before

Too bad the same can't be said for his counterpart.

To be honest, most of the time the Trib has the better quantity of USF stuff but the quality, ie accuracy, is sometimes lacking. Reading both is almost a must ...

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Greg... here's my point... when I see a real good story written by you... I acknowledge the story on the message board (regardless of your terrorist connection to UF). The same can be said with McMurphy. He comes out with a story now and then that knocks our socks off and leaves us talking for days. We see it from both of you guys from time to time. Your blog is great... don't get me wrong. It's another source of info for people like myself to take in.

I don't believe I have my green and gold glasses on though when I see the Times come after a Trib story that wasn't originally reported in the Times. When I was a sports writer for the Manassas Journal Messenger back in the early 90's (no where near as big as the Times) and you were still in junior high, I read every article written by the sports writers from the Potomac News (my competition). I knew what they put out... and when I did miss the scoop, I didn't try to one up them on that story by looking for an ambiguous quote (the quote from your story) that would make their story look doubtful.

Just try to beat Brett to the next best story.

When I wrote, I was always looking for the next best story to quench my readers hunger... just like your blog does. You're not always going to get the scoop... Brett has time on the pond with his sources (and I learned that is a tough obstacle to overcome when I was writing)... but I do admire your dedication to your work (although you still went to a loser institution that harvests gambling among its athletes and sets up recruits that have unwavering commitments to their rivals).

Guest Sprtsfn627

Just checked NationalChamps.net....says that ND also has 6 games planned with Rutgers from 2011-2016.  If true, that would leave 6 games, one a year from 2011-2016, that ND will play against Big East teams.

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  172
  • Days Won:  0

usf 2004 I would like to say Thank you for your work and I do appreciate the coverage you are giving USF. Down in South Florida none of the major papers write about USF. At least we have a paper dedicated to USF. A couple of years ago, we barely had any Tampa Bay newspapers covering USF day to day. They where to busy covering UF, or FSU. :)

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry, But Brett McMurphy has blown his credibility as a reporter with his recent inflamatory articles, (see recent Amarri Jackson and QB articles).  Read the difference in his quotation and then pull up the same article on the St Pete Times websites.  McMurphy prints partial quotes from the coaches to fit what they say to his story / headline.  This is appalling!  His freakin' JOB is to report news, not create it.  How difficult is that?  I guess printing the truth doesn't sell papers, inflammatory headlines do.  

At the very least this buffoon owes a PUBLISHED APOLOGY and retraction to Jackson and his family.  Not some "All's well that ends well" garbage!  

Is he a UCF fan or something?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Their first agenda is to call the Tribune wrong, and then try to piece together the facts later regardless if the Tribune was right.

The key word there is "facts". One paper seems to rely on them more than the other. "Grothe passing Julmiste by" immediately comes to mind.

I don't remember exactly, but I think that was just the headline, which is done by Editors, not Writers.