• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QBs Reward Leavitt with Strong Scrimmage

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

WR - Ean Randolph, Jackie Chambers

WR - Marcus Edwards, Amp Hill

WR - S.J. Green, Carlton Mitchell

WR - Taurus Johnson, Jessie Hester Jr.

WR depth chart string from Bretts blog tells you how strong our WRs were last year. Amarri isn't even on the 2 deep. Its going to be a lot better this year, at least I believe so.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I BULLieve GrothE will have better pocket awareness. He will be able to avoid sacks better than PJ has.

Where are you basing this from? I think both are pretty good at scrambling when they have to and are very quick guys, but PJ was very good at times last season of avoiding the sack, he had it down to an art, and dare I say made it one of the few consistent things he did last season.

Our oline blew last year, yet PJ was only sacked 20 times and hurried probably 4-5 times that amount. He was usually able to a) get rid of the ball or B) get to the line of scrimmage.

I'm not saying Grothe may not be better, but nothing I have seen from him leads me to believe that as a Redshirt Freshman stepping onto the field for the 1st time that he's going to immediately pick up the pocket as well as a guy who played against 3 of the best defenses in the country last year.

I BULLieve GrothE will have better pocket awareness. He will be able to avoid sacks better than PJ has.

Where are you basing this from? I think both are pretty good at scrambling when they have to and are very quick guys, but PJ was very good at times last season of avoiding the sack, he had it down to an art, and dare I say made it one of the few consistent things he did last season.

Our oline blew last year, yet PJ was only sacked 20 times and hurried probably 4-5 times that amount. He was usually able to a) get rid of the ball or B) get to the line of scrimmage.

I'm not saying Grothe may not be better, but nothing I have seen from him leads me to believe that as a Redshirt Freshman stepping onto the field for the 1st time that he's going to immediately pick up the pocket as well as a guy who played against 3 of the best defenses in the country last year.

et is a big grothe supporter

i guarantee grothe will better qb than pj who was ranked 98 by ncaa

pj lost his position to a DB(DENSON) LAST FALL

PJ HAD ONLY 6 TD PASSES.

it was my recollection that our OL was a strong unit last year

pj had no facet of qbing down to an art.he looks clumsy and out of place playing qb.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

WR depth chart string from Bretts blog tells you how strong our WRs were last year. Amarri isn't even on the 2 deep. Its going to be a lot better this year, at least I believe so.

I may be in the minority around here, but I felt our receivers were average to maybe even below average.  Athletically superior maybe, but a strong receiving corps doesn't drop as many balls as our guys did last year.  Chalk that up to inexperience maybe because we had so many younger guys in there.  We'll still have a pretty young receiving corps with only SJ Green as a Senior.  hiopefully they can run better routes, use better technique and hold on to the ball so their athleticsm shines.

I may be in the minority around here, but I felt our receivers were average to maybe even below average.  Athletically superior maybe, but a strong receiving corps doesn't drop as many balls as our guys did last year.  Chalk that up to inexperience maybe because we had so many younger guys in there.  We'll still have a pretty young receiving corps with only SJ Green as a Senior.  hiopefully they can run better routes, use better technique and hold on to the ball so their athleticsm shines.

i agree with you

yes we are in the minority

our  receivers are below average in catching ability

and below average in route running

they may lack courage based on small % of balls over the middle but that may be the OC's fault

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Our Oline was not very good last year, and were very inconsistent at times. They missed blocks a lot, blocked the same guy, or were over powered by some of the better defenses and against better teams our QBs had guys in their faces almost immediately on a lot of plays. When PJ did get time, he really wasn't as bad of a QB as many made him out to be.

Listen I am not saying by any means that I think PJ has no blame because he made some stupid moves last year and they did cost this team at times. I don't think he's that good, but I also really don't think he's the "aweful" QB many are making him out to be because in reality there were a lot of dropped and tipped balls by the WRs and a lot of missed blocks by the oline that added to the mistakes PJ was making.

For those that think I'm saying this to try and sound more football smart and undermine you, I'm not meaning to. I have been around the game my whole life, many of my family members are coaches and I hope to one day coach too (at a MUCH younger level). I'm just saying what I saw.

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

How about a two back set with Plancher and Ponton?  Love it that we have depth at QB and RB!!

Where is Chico Canales when you need him?   ;)

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Joe,

I wouldn't say the OL wasn't good last year, that's not true or fair to Frey.  The OL had to deal with lots of injuries last year and it hurt the cohesiveness.  The only game where the OL threw in the towel was Miami, the rest of the games they played hard, and had decent protection but after the Cinci game all bets were off because we started to get decimated by injury- Frank Davis, Miller, Watson, and Walker all missed valuable minutes due to injury and were playing injured quite a bit last season.  Furthermore the last four games we were also killed by injuries at the TE position which hurt the blocking even more.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Bien, I don't think it was the players fault. I think it was just a combination of a lot of guys playing a lot of places on the line. It created an inconsistency and a good bit of missed blocks (for example NC State). It just didn't leave anyone we put back there with the proper amount of time to make reads, etc.

It comes with the depth situation, something USF climb out of as the recruiting gets better over the next few seasons.

To get back to my point, I thought one of the few good things PJ did last year was his ability to avoid the sack. He was hurried a lot and only had 20 sacks (I was shocked with this number). Expecially he faced Penn State, Miami, and NC State's defenses.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Bien, I don't think it was the players fault. I think it was just a combination of a lot of guys playing a lot of places on the line. It created an inconsistency and a good bit of missed blocks (for example NC State). It just didn't leave anyone we put back there with the proper amount of time to make reads, etc.

It comes with the depth situation, something USF climb out of as the recruiting gets better over the next few seasons.

To get back to my point, I thought one of the few good things PJ did last year was his ability to avoid the sack. He was hurried a lot and only had 20 sacks (I was shocked with this number). Expecially he faced Penn State, Miami, and NC State's defenses.

NCST was all over him, that had to do with a combination of injuries, and a great NCST line, some shuffling....there were a lot of games early in the season that PJ was given plenty of time to throw- Pitt, Rutgers, UCF, UL, Cinci...but again at some point injuries killed us and the last quarter of the season the offense was struggling, partly with protecting the QB, and it killed any potential we had on offense.

lack of stats isnt the only stat one should look at

pj had 11 ints.one a game

he lost 147 yards

i couldnt find how many fumbles pj had

pj held on to ball way too long

andre hall great season was due to good oline play.i will not accept they were good against run but not good in pass protection.that wasnt the case.