• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

4 Locals Commit To USF Baseball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Aug 18, 2006

TAMPA - Jesuit's Kevin Quackenbush and Jonathan Koscso, Gaither's Chris Jones and Chamberlain's Todd Brazeal had scholarship offers from some of college baseball's elite programs. Those, however, couldn't match what the University of South Florida offered - a chance to try to lead the hometown Bulls to the College World Series.

Quackenbush, who is rated the nation's 122nd-best senior prospect by Baseball America, Brazeal (No. 134), Jones (No. 160), Koscso and Oviedo pitcher Randy Fontanez verbally committed to USF, giving new coach Lelo Prado seven commitments for the 2007-08 season.

A righty, Quackenbush was 7-3 with a 2.66 ERA as a junior. He also considered FSU, Florida, Miami, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest. "They want to get to Omaha and I want to help them get there," he said. "I didn't consider USF at all before Coach Prado got there."

Jones, a left-handed pitcher, turned down offers from Florida, Clemson, Alabama, Auburn and Georgia.

"I love the pitching coach [Lazer Collazo]," said Jones, 15-3 the past two years, including 7-2 and 0.98 ERA as a junior. "When we sat down and talked, they went through everything with their program and I felt comfortable with USF."

Brazeal, a third baseman who hit .388 with 16 RBIs, chose USF over LSU, Clemson and South Carolina so his family and grandparents could watch him play.

"The kind of confidence Coach Prado and Lazer have, the future of the program and how they're going to turn it around - for me USF is a sure thing," Brazeal said.

Koscso, a third baseman who hit .383 with 23 RBIs, considered several schools, including Virginia, Army, Navy and Davidson.

"Ever since I talked to Coach Prado, they were serious about turning the program around and winning," Koscso said. "They want to do what it takes to get to Omaha and the way they were talking, I believe it."

A right-handed pitcher, Fontanez is 12-2 the past two years, including 9-1 and 1.24 ERA as a sophomore.

USF's 2007 schedule features 11 games against teams that reached last year's NCAA Tournament and a home date with Florida (Feb. 27). The Bulls' debut under Prado is Feb. 9 against High Point.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGB2OP810RE.html

It sounds like Coach Prado is making a difference already!

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Great pick ups and it looks like Woolard has made another great hire, I told you guys. I was behind Lelo all the way.  ;)

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879

USF baseball is going to the top!

• Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Better yet, I am starting to believe that they are going to Omaha. Maybe not today . .

I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong in Omaha. We're part of the work, the thing that keeps USF from going. If that plane leaves the ground and were not with Lelo, we'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.

Holy crap I am on a bastardized movie qoute roll . . .

Somebody stop me!

6303667880.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I have a problem.

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991

Omaha Bound!!!!

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

snip

A righty, Quackenbush was 7-3 with a 2.66 ERA as a junior. He also considered FSU, Florida, Miami, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest. "They want to get to Omaha and I want to help them get there," he said. "I didn't consider USF at all before Coach Prado got there."

snip

"The kind of confidence Coach Prado and Lazer have, the future of the program and how they're going to turn it around - for me USF is a sure thing," Brazeal said.

As much as Coach Cardieri was liked as a person, it's hard to ignore the change in the program's perception by local blue chip players who would have probably gone elsewhere had a change not been made.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  538

Hmmm, gosh, those motivated new coaches suuuuuuuuuuuuure seem to make a lot of good, quick first impressions, don't they................

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Omaha Bound!!!!

The jinx is in! I remember you saying we'd go to the NCAA Tournament after the Men's Basketball team won at Valpo a couple of season ago.

In all seriousness these are very good signings. Way to go Coach Prado!!

• Content Count:  687

Lelo seens to be doing a great job in recruiting.  Locking up the top local talent is key to us making it to Omaha.  

Now if some big dollars can speed up the construction of a new Red.