• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Practice Report - 8/11/06

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Courtesy USF SID Office

Leavitt Stresses Youtth, Competition After First Day of Full Pads

TAMPA, FLA. (August 11, 2006) – USF head coach Jim Leavitt indicated the only set in stone first teamers are his linebackers and possibly the cornerbacks. But after the team’s fifth practice – and its first in full pads – this morning, Leavitt said there’s competition at every other spot.

“The linebackers – (Stephen) Nicholas, (Pat) St. Louis and (Ben) Moffitt. Are set at first team,” Leavitt said. “And Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams are pretty strong at the corners, but I want to tell you Jerome Murphy and Ryan Gilliam are doing a heck of a job. And Jeremy Burnett is doing a good job at strong safety.”

Leavitt also had praise for the newest member of the defense, true freshman Nate Allen (Cape Coral, Fla.), who has moved from quarterback to safety. “He’s going to play this year,” Leavitt said. “We wouldn’t have moved him if we didn’t think he was ready to be a good safety.”

"This is the youngest team I've had since our first year," Leavitt continued. "There's a lot of competition everywhere."

On offense, Leavitt indicated Marc Dile would be a starter, but he’s not ready to lock him into one position just yet until he can determine who the best linemen are. “He’ll play at starter,” Leavitt quipped.

The Bulls start a two-a-day schedule Saturday with sessions set for 8:30 a.m. and 3:45 p.m.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

I'm surprised to hear Nate Allen will play at safety this year.  I considered that position to be pretty deep with Verpaele returning from injury.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

I've got some MikeG practice images getting prepped right now...stay tuned.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Is Thed Watson questionable only due to grades or did he step in something to get on CJL's bad side?

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

Is Thed Watson questionable only due to grades or did he step in something to get on CJL's bad side?

I've seen Dile listed mostly at right tackle, with Watson and Carnes at left.  I don't understand the RS talk around Watson, though.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I love having  former QB's at the safety position. They have that offensive mind set and can think like the passer. This should only add to his athleticism. This move tells me that Grothe is going to be the man, and I think it also says that Alton Voss will be committing to USF very shortly. There is no way the coaches make this move if they didn't have some confidence about the future of our notoriously weak position.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,666
  • Days Won:  29

Good Point BP, but also ... I think that it would be tough for a True FR to make a move at QB.

But you are right that things must look better if you are taking him away to learn the position.

And he must be looking strong at Safety when Leavitt already has praised 3 other Safeties in the same day.

I feel very good going against teams with our Nickel & Dime packages.

And I think Watson is solely because of grades . . . and that can get you in the dog house. Hope all is fine with him though.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

thank god only 22 days to go

[move]GO BULLS[/move]

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

or maybe that we have a Simms coming here

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,666
  • Days Won:  29

I don't think we would base a position move, even if we had a verbal - would have to wait for the dotted line to be signed.

8-)

I would say just good player being moved where he can help the team ... and himself play early.

Go BULLS !!!