• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Name for "Rocky II"

Guest bullistic930

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah but Jim, it starts to sound like the Stallone movies...

Um, that's the point.

I'm pretty sure the bull's name is "Rocky II" and that's what it will be, and it's a fine name.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Um, that's the point.

I'm pretty sure the bull's name is "Rocky II" and that's what it will be, and it's a fine name.

Then let's call him "Friday the 13th", there were about 9 of those.

I appreciate your insight, but I think we need to be somewhat more creative.  Even, if we called him "Porky" or "********" (Steve Martin - The Jerk reference) people would ask why -there'd be a story, maybe a tradition.  Rocky II doesn't stir much excitement.  Besides when the human Rocky retires, we'll probably have to start calling him Rocky IA...do you know how confusing that will be after a couple years?   ;)

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  4,642

he's all white right? what about whitey? or would that be something racist? how did the name rocky for the original mascot come about? if it's just a random name, then maybe something like joey would even work.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

The "human" Rocky never retires, that's the nature of mascots.

Look, folks, I'm pretty sure we're beating a dead horse here. The athletic department's decided the name is Rocky II. I think a better topic for debate is the nature of our mascot in general... I mean, Brahmans aren't the most attractive animal, and we'd better hope Rocky II gets bulked up big time so we aren't stuck running around with an oversized goat.

The "human" Rocky never retires, that's the nature of mascots.

Then what in blazes happened here?

[table][tr][td]Rocky

rocky.gif</p><p>

circa 2004

[/td][td]Rocky

newRocky.gif

circa 2005[/td][/tr][/table]

modified to add this:   ;D

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

How about Ferdinand?

ferdinand.jpg

Just kidding. How about selling Taurus to the Ford people?

taurusho_front.jpg

Kidding again. How about Gore?

film9606_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg

(Is it me or does the guy on the panel looking almost horrified at Gore?)

Really: VooDoo? No? How about Triumph. Blitz? Heisman? Spike?

My favorite would have to be the greatest white bull of all time, my dear old dad. The Cretan Bull, made by Poseidon himself he was perfect and (to make Terry happy) he scored with the ladies, that is until that **** Theseus got him. One day I'll find him and wrap up the family business. Anyway I digress.

holycow

Really I like BLITZ.

I'm surprised that witty littany of potential names did not include

BULLwinkle.

psst....that would give us two mascots - Rocky and BULLwinkle...like the cahtoon....get it?

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

I like it! You da man Bulliever.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  614

USF Mascot - Rocky the Bull

Today's Rocky the Bull got his start as a toy idea for the USF Bookstore in 1965. The first Rocky was drawn as a cartoon rendition for Athletics to use in their newsletters. Rocky's image was first trademarked in 1974 and re-designed in 1986. Today's Rocky was unveiled in 2003. Rocky is a regular at USF football and basketball games and other campus and community events.

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/History/traditions.html

The first Rocky was horrible looking.  His picture can be found on page 111 of  University of South Florida, the First Fifty Years

Chickens, Camels and a Bull named Rocky

by Patricia Abdou, USF Oracle, August 28, 1989

When the issue of a school mascot was first raised in 1961, "Rocky" the Bull was far from first choice.

The process of choosing a mascot was apparently not a smooth one. University of South Florida Chickens, Roosters and Camels were all included for serious consideration. Even the Desert Rats, named after a group of men who played intramural sports and were the forerunners of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, was contemplated, but proved to be another failed attempt.

Gerald Stack and Jack Boyd, members of USF's charter class, planted the seed for what later became the school mascot, the Brahman Bull.

Stack said the issue first developed during committee meetings to construct the school's constitution. It was at this time that he and Boyd brought up the idea of the bull.

Boyd said it was a natural thing for them to choose the Brahman bull because both of their partners were breeders of the animal.

Although the name was put forth, it was never officially used. Stack left USF after only one semester and the idea was either lost in the shuffle or just temporarily forgotten.

The idea re-emerged in the fall of '62 when a representative from the class ring company announced that one side of the class rings would be left blank for the school mascot. Rejecting the representative's idea of a sailfish, the University Center sponsored a contest to name the school mascot.

Robert Bickle, another member of the charter class and presently a law professor at Stetson, submitted the Golden Brahman as his choice of mascot.

In the election, five finalists were selected: the Buccaneer, the Golden Brahman, the Olympian, the Cougar, and the Golden Eagle.

The Buccaneer, which received the most votes, was originally not adopted because it was believed that a junior college in Pensacola had the same mascot. The Golden Brahman, which had lost to the Buccaneer by only three votes, was chosen instead.

After it was learned that the junior college mascot was in fact the Pirate and not the Buccaneer, a 12-member judiciary committee decided that the Buccaneer would serve as the USF mascot.

With the decision came controversy. Many students were unhappy about the lackadaisical way in which the contest was run, while others thought that both choices were unfit to be the official mascot.

A petition was formulated and collected more signatures than the actual number of votes in the original election. A run-off election was granted between the Buccaneer and the Golden Brahman. The Golden Brahman was victorious and was officially unveiled Nov. 17, 1962.

Bickle takes no credit for coming up with the name, saying the suggestion was made one evening during a discussion of the issue and that he was just "elected to represent a group of friends" who collectively came up with the idea.

The rationale for the idea, he explained, was that since Florida was a cattle-raising state, like Texas, they wanted something comparable to the Texas Longhorns.

Once all conflict was cleared up, the Golden Brahman successfully remained the mascot until the early '80s.

"The athletic department decided to change the mascot to the Bulls around 1982 for promotional reasons, to advertise basketball games and homecoming events," said Marshall.

Today "Rocky" the Bull still serves as the official mascot and still carries the spirit of USF.

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/History/rocky.html