• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

EC Replacements

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

Oh wait, that didnt seem to work that well with another sport.  Sorry scratch that suggestion.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  292
  • Days Won:  0

I think we need someone to come in and sell this program or at least spike interest in the community.  We need someone with ties to hillsborough county.  There is too much talent in this area and we have consistantly lost out on much of that talent in the past 5+ years.

I'm just throwing some names out but what about the old UT coach Lelo Prado who is the head coach up at U of L.  I've also heard good things about the current head coach at UT (who is #1 in 1AA again this year).

If we go outside the area, than I say we need someone from a proven conference, the SEC, ACC, etc. to take over.  Why wouldn't anyone want to coach at USF.  We have one of the best recruiting areas in the state if not country for college baseball players, we are in the Big East which should give us a chance to be one of the top teams year after year, and we will get improved facilities soon.  

We also have got to get a dedicated "recruiter".  Many of the top programs in the country have a dedicated recruiter who has the ability to travel and monitor players throughout the year and isn't tied down by any game schedules.  This may be a long shot to accomplish but needs to be given some thought.

The fact is that I think EC has done a great job with what he had but it's time for the University to move in another direction.  If the school doesn't look for someone to replace EC, than they need to make a new committment to EC and the program and make some serious upgrades to the facilities and make them "soon".

Either way I think the USF baseball program has a lot to over and I'm sure we would have a large list of highly credible applicants.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  154

Rene Lachman, John Boles, or Jeff Torborg

lol...nice trend of horrible Florida Marlins managers...I would say give Wade Boggs a shot...not only is he a Tampa native/USF alum but his son also plays for the team.  Also had a good track record in the MLB

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I would say give Wade Boggs a shot...not only is he a Tampa native/USF alum but his son also plays for the team.  Also had a good track record in the MLB

and on cross country flights...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

Trader Jack anyone?

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Easiest nomination ever: Joe Urso- Head Baseball Coach University of Tampa

00_1.JPG

Former Spartan All-American Joe Urso is in his sixth season as head baseball coach of The University of Tampa, compiling an 211-82 record. In his first five seasons as Spartan head coach, Urso has led Tampa to its eighth and ninth conference titles and he led Tampa to its ninth and tenth regional championships with a second place finish in the 2003 National Championship Series. Tampa won a school record 49 games in 2001.

Urso returned to Tampa following a three-year stint as coach and manager in the Anaheim Angels organization. Most recently, Urso was manager of the Angels' minor league affiliate in Butte, Mont. Prior to that, he was manager of the Angels' Instructional League team and assistant coach with the Lake Elsinore (Calif.) Storm and Boise (Idaho) Hawks since 1997.

The 1992 UT business management graduate was the 49th-round draft pick by the Angels and played four years in their system.

As a Spartan, Urso ranks as one of The University's most popular players. Urso was a four-year starter at second base and was twice named second-team All-American, first-team all-South and first-team all-Sunshine State Conference in 1991 and '92. He was a career .332 hitter, who held the NCAA career record for runs (258). He owned the school mark for runs in a season (76) and still holds school records in walks for a season (54) and career (176). He ranks fourth on the all-time school list for games played (223), is second in career doubles (63) and sixth in stolen bases (70).

Among his achievements as a senior, Urso hit .377 and was a perfect 11 for 11 in stolen base attempts in 15 games against Div. I competition, including Florida, Clemson, Michigan, Alabama and Miami.

Among the top players to lead UT to the NCAA II National Championship Series in 1990, he was voted MVP of the Spartans' national championship in '92. In 1997, Urso was named to the NCAA II NCS all-time team as the best second baseman. In two tournaments, he played in eight games, hitting .469 with one homerun and 10 RBI. He was named to the Sunshine State Conference Silver Anniversary team.

A Tampa native, Urso was a member of Plant High School's 1988 state champions where he was a two-time 1st Team All-Area, all-County and All-Conference honoree and 2nd Team All-State.

Within the Angels organization, Urso's number was retired in Lake Elsinore in 1997; he was team MVP and league All-Star for the California League champions in '96; recognized by an award in his name which is presented to the Lake Elsinore fans' favorite player since '95; received three fans' favorite player awards (1994-96) and was the Palm Springs Angels fans' favorite player award winner in 1993. His community outreach efforts earned him the moniker "Mayor" of Lake Elsinore by the Angels' staff.

He is married to Julie and they have two sons, JD and Preston.

Mr Wollard, you can contact him at JUrso@ut.edu or 813-253-6240-ext. 3488

If USF cannot beat out UT for a coach then they have no business in the Big East and should just make EC contract a lifetime, tenured position.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

I agree, Boggs would be a great fit, especially with his son on the team.

And as a client and sponsor of Medical Hair Restoration, Wade Boggs now has a bushy, full head of red hair!

;D

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

I'm suprised no one's said it yet...

...HUGGINS!

(I'm kidding, of course)

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

Dwight Gooden is a local guy with "time" on his hands.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0220/1337166.html

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959

Bo Puckett... coached Plant after graduating from USF. Has good local ties... ex-military... USF alum... young... I believe he is 30 this year. Would be a breath of fresh air if Eddie Cardieri goes. I like Eddie though... hope he can turn the ship around and steal the Big East championship!

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAH BO Puckett ????????????????? He knows more about football than baseball chief.