• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

TBO: USF, UM Finalize Series

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

This is just great F'n news !

Great Job Woolard !

Go BULLS !!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

I just wanted to state, for the record, that I have and always will hate Miami.

Carry on...

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Bien --

You are forgetting to mention that the "Bowden way" of playing anyone anywhere was basically necessary because Florida State was an INDEPENDENT. They did not have any conference games until the early 1990s - and by then Bowden was not playing anyone anywhere.

To be sure, Fresno State has done that - but for the most part they have lost when they played BCS teams.

Personally, I agree that I would love to see the Marylands, Purdues, Kansases, or Ole Misses of the world sign 1 for 1s with USF.  BCS teams in the middle of their conferences would be a good group to have on our plate. Give us some credibility and with wins push us to the top of the Big East.

Exactly, I alluded to that fact when I said there was over two dozen independents.  Back in that time FSU, Notre Dame, Miami, and all the Big East teams for example were independents.  You could say today Notre Dame carries that montra but that's bull because they're an independent and are forced to play conference teams, fortunately for them their prestige allows them to dictate contracts.

Another issue some fail to understand is many big time programs that visit the little people also demand certain additional perks aside from a 2 for 1, perks that simply erode the revenue possibly derived from the team they're visiting.  For example Ok St visited FAU this year, they demanded two return visits, they also forced FAU to pay their travel expenses and get a larger share of the ESPN revenue.  That's not equitable, and for a team like USF, for the team some of you WANT US TO BE, we must sign equitable deals even if that means forgoing deals that some may believe facially is a good opportunity.  

Beating UNC, and Kansas certainly gives us minimal respect, but guess what Joe, UL did it similarly in 2005, and 2007.  In 2005 they finished 7th in the country.  They key is beat UNC, and Kansas, win the other OCC games, then beat your powerhouse conference foes, and let the rest take care of itself.  Be a realist for once Joe, and get out of the clouds of being an NCAA fan.  A realist says scheduling Texas is fun for a moment, or PSU is leading up to the game, but then the reality sets in that you're up against a mighty foe on their turf- in those situations I'd be willing to bet the home team wins 85% of the time.  The key is lining up a winnable, and managable schedule then taking care of business.  The rest will follow just like it did for UL.  Then you sprinkle in a few big dogs and take your crack.   It worked for UL, and I can promise you that's the same exact tact we're going to take to scheduling.  Win the games we're suppose to, subtly challenge you're team and finish say 11-1, and you'll be top 10.  There's no way around it.

I would rather go 11-1, 10-2, and have people saying the only reason they're #8 and not #2 is because of their SOS.  Then, I'll start to worry about scheduling a bit more of a rigid schedule.  Prove to me we find Uconn, and Pitt a walk in the park before bitting off more than we can chew.  The reality is we already have tough opponents- big dogs if you will- on the future schedule so this is moot.  Joe's not looking at the future with Auburn, and UF, so we've got to make sure with those travel dates still intact we schedule around to make a managable slate.  The reality is that argument is moot since the schedule already has big dogs, no reason to add more just for the sake of adding more.

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879

Exactly, I alluded to that fact when I said there was over two dozen independents.  Back in that time FSU, Notre Dame, Miami, and all the Big East teams for example were independents.  You could say today Notre Dame carries that montra but that's bull because they're an independent and are forced to play conference teams, fortunately for them their prestige allows them to dictate contracts.

Another issue some fail to understand is many big time programs that visit the little people also demand certain additional perks aside from a 2 for 1, perks that simply erode the revenue possibly derived from the team they're visiting.  For example Ok St visited FAU this year, they demanded two return visits, they also forced FAU to pay their travel expenses and get a larger share of the ESPN revenue.  That's not equitable, and for a team like USF, for the team some of you WANT US TO BE, we must sign equitable deals even if that means forgoing deals that some may believe facially is a good opportunity.  

Beating UNC, and Kansas certainly gives us minimal respect, but guess what Joe, UL did it similarly in 2005, and 2007.  In 2005 they finished 7th in the country.  They key is beat UNC, and Kansas, win the other OCC games, then beat your powerhouse conference foes, and let the rest take care of itself.  Be a realist for once Joe, and get out of the clouds of being an NCAA fan.  A realist says scheduling Texas is fun for a moment, or PSU is leading up to the game, but then the reality sets in that you're up against a mighty foe on their turf- in those situations I'd be willing to bet the home team wins 85% of the time.  The key is lining up a winnable, and managable schedule then taking care of business.  The rest will follow just like it did for UL.  Then you sprinkle in a few big dogs and take your crack.   It worked for UL, and I can promise you that's the same exact tact we're going to take to scheduling.  Win the games we're suppose to, subtly challenge you're team and finish say 11-1, and you'll be top 10.  There's no way around it.

I would rather go 11-1, 10-2, and have people saying the only reason they're #8 and not #2 is because of their SOS.  Then, I'll start to worry about scheduling a bit more of a rigid schedule.  Prove to me we find Uconn, and Pitt a walk in the park before bitting off more than we can chew.  The reality is we already have tough opponents- big dogs if you will- on the future schedule so this is moot.  Joe's not looking at the future with Auburn, and UF, so we've got to make sure with those travel dates still intact we schedule around to make a managable slate.  The reality is that argument is moot since the schedule already has big dogs, no reason to add more just for the sake of adding more.

Ditto

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

I just wanted to state, for the record, that I have and always will hate Miami.

Carry on...

Miami has opened many doors for USF. They sign these 1 for 1's with us and dont forget if Miami never left the Big East (which looks like a mistake now) then we would still be stuck in CUSA