• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This is why we need an OCS......

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

If YOU read the entire report you will find that the debt coverage is 145% before fundraising.

If you want to compare what USF and UCF have you need to only look at the increased revenues UCF gets from things USF doesnt get now (concessions, catering, parking, premium seating, advertising, naming rights, and other revenue)  Then look at the cash outlays.

Why do it this way? Becuase USF still has ticket revenue and still has capital gift fundraising without a stadium.

UCF's per game cash costs are $833,000. THATS PER GAME. USF will have Ray Jay for the entire year for less than your stadium costs you for one game. Take into consideration UCF's extra "revenue" and your stadium will still cost you $333,333 per game.

Now your right that the survey estimated about 26k per game and you could have higher, but students wont help those numbers if that's where the extra interest comes from.

Also, look for the debt service to be higher. UCF estimated 42 million over 30 years at 6%. Recent reports puts the realistic number at 51 million per year instead of 42. They estimate debt alone to run $4 million. That's $666,666 per game in DEBT without consideration of other stadium related expenses.

While its great you have your own stadium, you will be dumping a few million more cash into it every year than USF pays to rent Ray Jay.

Well...if you read the entire report...you would find the Debt Coverage Ratio with "conservative figures" for Year 1 at 157% and increase to 186% by Year 10.

You do know as well that this report was written following UCF's 0-11 season.

Something tells me (Texas was a hint) that UCF will be able to "blow away" many/most of this reports "conservative" numbers.

KL

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Trip,

I'm not saying we need an OCS right now, I was making a point to the lack of leverage we have with TSA as compared to the Bucs.

Mine was more a pre-emptive shot in case a certain faction felt the need to start waxing poetic about how an OCS is the ONLY way to experience college football .....

1) The Bucs do pay rent at RayJay to cover stadium operations.  All of the employees there (ticket tackers, ushers, janitors) are paid by the Sports Authority.  But their lease gives them the right to collect money from all permanent in-stadium advertising, parking revenue during games and the first $2 million collected annually from non-Bucs events, and revenue from all permanent-concession facilities (hence the reason the Bulls Heaven items are not 'permanent').

2) The Sports Authority is an independent entity created by the state.  It has a City Council and County Commission representative, but the rest of the Board is appointed by the Governor.

3) Leavittation is right - the $720,000 per year to rent the stadium (minus $180,000 that USF will get back for the 3,000 parking spaces) makes the cash for an OCS pale in comparsion.

For those interested in other math -- let's say USF is able to average 40,000 fans at $25 average ticket price.  That would be $1,000,000 for one game.  So what USF sells in tickets t one game easily covers the rent for the entire year.  The other $5+ million goes to the operating budget. (This also doesn't include the annual donations required for preferential seating).

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

While its great you have your own stadium, you will be dumping a few million more cash into it every year than USF pays to rent Ray Jay.

I think this says it all.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

1) The Bucs do pay rent at RayJay to cover stadium operations.  All of the employees there (ticket tackers, ushers, janitors) are paid by the Sports Authority.  But their lease gives them the right to collect money from all permanent in-stadium advertising, parking revenue during games and the first $2 million collected annually from non-Bucs events, and revenue from all permanent-concession facilities (hence the reason the Bulls Heaven items are not 'permanent').

2) The Sports Authority is an independent entity created by the state.  It has a City Council and County Commission representative, but the rest of the Board is appointed by the Governor.

3) Leavittation is right - the $720,000 per year to rent the stadium (minus $180,000 that USF will get back for the 3,000 parking spaces) makes the cash for an OCS pale in comparsion.

For those interested in other math -- let's say USF is able to average 40,000 fans at $25 average ticket price.  That would be $1,000,000 for one game.  So what USF sells in tickets t one game easily covers the rent for the entire year.  The other $5+ million goes to the operating budget. (This also doesn't include the annual donations required for preferential seating).

I think your discounting the fact that Students get in free (11 per hour athletic fee) and there are other circumstances. I don't see us making 1 Mil a game, two of the biggest revenue making schools in Ohio State and Florida pull in 3 Million a game with over 90,000 in each stadium and all luxery suite money going to the schools.

I do believe down the line an OCS is going to happen. However, it is not feasible at this time.

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879

a new 10-year rental agreement

This really could be perfect timing.  

Eight years from now a lot of things will likely have changed:

1.  Bulls drawing consistently larger crowds

2.  RayJay not so 'state of the art'

3.  USF sports facility improvements completed

4.  Bulls will have the leverage in contract negotiations

A legitimate OCS conversation should take place then and the result will be good for USF regardless the outcome.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

In the beginning (especially if one doesn't already have a like facility), renting is always cheaper than building and owning your own.

But in the long run...with our Village Entertainment Complex, increase in Booster Membership, Increase in Season Tix & Attendance, etc...benefits for UCF will far outweigh our old "rental" agreement of the Citrus Bowl.

Obviously, RJS is a great NFL Stadium...and if one has to rent a stadium for a College Game...RJS still has to be as good as it gets in regards to renting.

KL

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  614

Eight years from now a lot of things will likely have changed:

And maybe they will have found a way to pay for new uniforms for the HOT by then. :D

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

I'll throw in the 1st 5 bucks to blow up MOSI....  ;D

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

oh, and by the way....

This discussion is to thebullspen what barry bonds is to Dan Sileo.

When all else fails, go with 'ol reliable!