• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A.D.'s Pick UTEP for C-USA

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,103
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Mike Price is the HC at UTEP

Speaking of the University of WEST TEXAS ...

Which is closer to El Paso ?

Dallas or L.A.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Dallas is about 200 miles closer to El Paso than L.A.

You'd think the distance would be longer, what with

Arizona & Nuevo Mejico wedged in there, huh?

However...as of April 17th..

http://www.borderlandnews.com/stories/borderland/20040417-106859.shtml

UTEP denies Conference USA asked school to join

Darren Hunt

El Paso Times

UTEP and Conference USA officials said Friday that an Orlando Sentinel report stating the school will be invited to join the league was premature.

"This is the first time we've had any indication of that," UTEP Associate Athletics Director Mack Rhoades said. "We knew that Conference USA was certainly interested in us and a number of other schools. But at this point in time, we have not received any official invite and don't know that we will."

UTEP President Diana Natalicio could not be reached for comment. Athletics Director Bob Stull, in New York City on Friday with Western Athletic Conference commissioner Karl Benson negotiating the league's new television contract with ESPN, could not be reached for comment.

"It doesn't surprise me that UTEP may be the preferred choice" of Conference USA, Benson said. "But I think the WAC has much more to offer UTEP than Conference USA."

In 2005-06, Conference USA, seeking a 12th member after surviving several defections, will include East Carolina, Marshall, Central Florida, Alabama-Birmingham, Memphis, Southern Miss, Tulane, Houston and former WAC members Tulsa, SMU and Rice.

After next year's football and basketball seasons, the WAC would become a nine-team league with UTEP and new additions New Mexico State and Utah State. Other members are Fresno State, San Jose State, Nevada, Boise State, Hawaii and Louisiana Tech. Possible WAC additions include North Texas and Idaho.

"I don't know that (UTEP) is our selection," Southern Miss Athletics Director Richard Giannini said Friday. "I think that's a little premature. But they were one of several schools we discussed when we met in Dallas earlier this week."

Giannini added, "There were a lot of positive things discussed when it came to (UTEP). One of them is that it's a big area with more than 800,000-plus homes."

The UTEP men's basketball tradition and solid football attendance -- more than 29,000 a game the past four seasons -- also impressed Conference USA athletic directors, Giannini said.

"The biggest 'con' is the geographic location," said Giannini, who reiterated that no decision has been made. "We're getting to that point, but we haven't got there 100 percent."

Giannini added that there is "no question" UTEP is in the mix, "because they do bring some solid credentials. And I want to make sure if we add another member, it's one that brings value to the league."

University of Houston Athletics Director Dave Maggard said UTEP, Louisiana Tech and North Texas were given the most consideration.

"Everybody's still looking at the possible options in all this," Maggard said.

Maggard said he expects the expansion discussion between Conference USA athletics directors to continue through conference calls in the coming weeks and days.

Miner fans had differing opinions Friday on a possible move to Conference USA. An informal poll on KROD-AM's "SportsTalk" yielded 18 callers who favored leaving the WAC, while 12 said the school should stay put.

"I'd go with Conference USA," West El Pasoan Orly Mena said. "They might not ask us again, and the Mountain West may never ask. Hey, it's nice to be wanted. And I'd rather go to Orlando, Florida (Central Florida), than Logan, Utah (Utah State). I also like the fact that we stay with the Texas schools."

UTEP Alumni Association Dallas Chapter President Servando Enriquez pointed out Friday afternoon that the coming departures of SMU, Rice and Tulsa from the WAC will leave thousands of Miner fans in East Texas without the opportunity to see their team.

Unless, of course, UTEP is invited and accepts an invitation to join Conference USA.

"That would be absolutely fantastic," Enriquez said. "We have an opportunity here to promote UTEP as a product to a very large portion of the country that traditionally we have not addressed. There's a very popular alumni base out here. The support is incredible, and UTEP is starving for that kind of thing."

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

Was Troy State not interested?

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  23

C-DOA......................**** glad to be gone!  8)

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

wheres tcu going?

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  63

I thought tcu was taying or going to the mac or wac?   GO BULLS!!!

BIGJL

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  162

I believe TCU is joining the Mountain West Conference.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Yep.  The whole population of El Paso shows up.  I mean, what else is there to do?

How many plane/stage coach changes between Orlando and El Paso, anyway?