• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leslie Stirrups

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I talked with Leavitt about it about two weeks ago.  He told me there are ways to still get him in.  

I asked him if they were going to get him in the same way they were trying to get John Paul (DL from Immokallee) in.  He said its different from that, which is a looong story in itself.  

Sounds to me they are trying despirately to do what they can to get him in.  Before my talk with coach I was very doubtful he'd get in, but now I'd say I've upgraded to just doubtful.  

Josh Newberg

I've been saying this same thing for a while and a few people didn't believe me.  This is not a lost cause just yet, and Stirrups is working like hell to get it done.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

guys, all leslie needs is a learning disability.

We are not Miami! and this is NOT Frank Gore...

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

it is time usf moves on and recruit a kid that can play and make it thru usf

leavitt recruits these kids so the perception of usf's talent is better than it actually is

it is time usf moves on and recruit a kid that can play and make it thru usf

leavitt recruits these kids so the perception of usf's talent is better than it actually is

actually I'd say the reverse is true...many top eval folks feel Leavitt has done better than any school outside of the big three scouting and recruiting FL.  Often signing kids, sometimes inconspicuous two stars that have the talent to play at any 1-A school.

We are not Miami! and this is NOT Frank Gore...

What's that suppose to mean Joe?  Learning disabilities are legit arguments, and we've brought kids in before with learning disabilities- hell UF brought in many kids like Mike Mangold who had learning disabilities.  First, it must be a documented disability before the NCAA will allow it, so there isn't any hanky panky going on.  Second, it's not something someone can use to skate kids into school.  All state schools have special services and programs for learning disabilities.  It's a law.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585

What's that suppose to mean Joe?  Learning disabilities are legit arguments, and we've brought kids in before with learning disabilities- hell UF brought in many kids like Mike Mangold who had learning disabilities.  First, it must be a documented disability before the NCAA will allow it, so there isn't any hanky panky going on.  Second, it's not something someone can use to skate kids into school.  All state schools have special services and programs for learning disabilities.  It's a law.

Not that I don't disagree with you, but I think this is now being abused by many.  Here's one article that discusses it:

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=1787712&page=1

Some folks are claiming learning disabilities to improve their chances of success to either get into college or even graduate schools.  I'd rather not have a physician who needed double time on his MCAT's for any reason...

USFFan

I understand fan, but they are often legit too.  Schools and the NCAA would need to evaluate before granting special permission.   I am not suggesting anyone should be granted special opportunities that will eventually land a critical thinking job but I know a person that had a learning disability and went on to be a very good school teacher.

Remember learning disabilities doesn't necessarily mean one is stupid- dixlexia, ADHD, and many other things can contribute to an individuals ability to have trouble keeping up with the rigors of everyday classroom exercise.  But that doesn't mean they are mentally disabled, which is a BIG difference.   I am not trying to patronize you, because I am sure you know the difference but in the end qualified people will decide when this is a legitimate situation.  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Bein,

I rarely doubt you, and I agree that learning disabilities need to be addressed, my lil sis has ADHD and Dyslexia. However, what Miami did with Frank Gore was a joke and takes out any legitmatcy from D-I football.

I have no problem with a kid seeking help from using a University to assist him in helping his diability, BUT I don't want that to be the sole basis of him playing on the team or making it into the school.

Joe,

I do not know the circumstances surrounding Frank Gore's enrollment but I do recall it being a bit salty.  However I thought his was related to the new rule being created about diploma factories.  In any event no one at USF is making a mockery of the system, but if something like this is indeed legit it's difficult to fake.  Once proven to be legit then that player or individual deserves every right to be afforded the same opportunities as others.

Miami might have got one over, but by and large many of these circumstances are legit.  All the schools do it, I can cite UF's enrollment of Mike Managold (who unfortunately didn't make it) but we wouldn't be exclusive in this situation but rather the norm.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Frank Gore is a good guy ... had a tutor actually with him during his SAT.

Best Wishes for Stirrups.

Go BULLS !!!