• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New baseball field?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

I remember seeing Woolard unviel plans, but has there been any word on when the project will begin? I did a quick search and wasn't able to find anything.

Thanks in advance.

I guess this is what I was thinking of when I posted. Its just a long term plan and what got approved was a feasability study. Sorry.

Stepping up and into the Big East

The athletic plan was partially approved by the Board of Trustees on Thursday.

By Chris Gardner

Staff Writer

February 18, 2005

"Why not USF?" Doug Woolard, USF athletics director, asked the Board of Trustees yesterday. "Why can't we have the best athletic department in the Big East?"

That is what Woolard said to the BOT as he laid out the master plan Thursday for the future of USF's athletic facilities. The plan, called the Athletic Land Use Plan, would first realign the "athletics district" in the southeast corner of campus. As it is now, the land allocated to Campus Recreation (such as the intramural fields) and the land used by athletics make a sort of checkerboard. The plan would reorganize the Campus Recreation land into more of a block and place it closer to the residence halls, and would group the athletics land together in the southeast corner of campus.

While lobbying for the plan, Woolard also laid out the Athletics Department's overall plans for the future.

He showed the BOT slides of facilities at other schools nationwide.

"Pictures are indeed worth a thousand words," Woolard said.

He then showed USF facilities in an attempt to demonstrate the need for renovations throughout the athletics district.

Woolard's presentation included a hefty list of facilities he wants to build in the "athletic district" in the coming years, one of which is a new softball stadium.

"We have a perennially ranked softball team that plays in, really honestly, one of the poorest facilities in Division-I athletics," Woolard said.

A new soccer stadium and a new practice field for soccer were also on the list.

"Our soccer field, which takes place inside the track, isn't even the right width or length," Woolard said.

A renovated Sun Dome arena was also on the list.

"The Sun Dome is a tired facility that needs renovation," Woolard said.

A renovated baseball stadium, new men's and women's basketball practice facilities, a new football practice complex, a new tennis complex and a new artificial surface surrounded by a 400-meter track were also on the list.

The BOT conceptually approved the Athletic Land Use Plan, which gives the Athletics Department the go ahead to do internal feasibility analyses and begin fundraising.

Theoretically, costs will be enumerated in the feasibility analyses, as will the cost of facility maintenance. Following the construction of the new athletics training facility in 2003, the maintenance costs were higher than anticipated and a 58-cent increase in the flat athletic fee paid by students each semester was deemed necessary and passed by the BOT.

The fee came as a surprise to students, who thought the facility's costs had already been covered.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

New baseball field?

New baseball coach?

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

all talk, which i guess is actually unusual.  Why no updates since that story?  I could list out all the things I want, but how likely are they to actually happen?  Why list out things if there are no plans to get them done?

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

Just like the OCS, the baseball stadium is on the Campus Master Plan, with the rest of new upgraded athletic facilities.  

BUT, the upgraded facilities, including the baseball stadium, are REALLY going to happen!  The OCS doesnt have any plans yet.

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

Basicly... within the next 10 years guys...

Guest Sprtsfn627

10 years? Are you serious?  Our baseball stadium is easily the worst in Florida at the Division 1 level.  If we don't make a serious commitment to it, i'd rather drop the sport and add lacrosse.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

Any of y'all got an idea what the average attendance at our baseball games are? I know the Northwestern, Army, and Sunday's Notre Dame games left plenty of room to spread out. Come to think of it, I've never been there when it was - crowded.

I don't know if winning would necessarily bump up attendance at the baseball games, could be just limited interest.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

maybe we can work something out to go slum with the devil rays at Tropicana Field.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Ya gotta remember that this athletics facility plan included a lot of different items that really have no revenue streams associated with them to cover bonds.  Therefore, construction on many aspects is going to require general athletics revenue and donations.  They know what we need, now we just need the dough.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

or perhaps we can get Busch Gardens to build us a baseball stadium, then they can graze elephants and lions in the outfield.

My 2300th post, you're going down Smazza!