• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Which is better? Times or Trib?

Guest bullistic930

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433
  • Days Won:  0

I live in Lakeland so the Times isn't an option.  That said, I've had the Trib for 10 years and may just drop the subscription soon because the coverage is apalling for a local university.  They contend that there isn't enough following...that's crap.  It's difficult for potential fans to even know what's happening at USF until after the fact...marginal coverage at best.

The Times seems fine on line and I think that's the way I'll go and just check in with the Trib every now and then.  I think the Trib is full of jealousy and bitterness over USF's alliance with the Times and it translates into coverage.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Let's just say that we are lucky as a very young program to have not one but TWO major newspapers providing daily coverage.

I wish the Times would send their regular beat writers on the road and I wish that the Tribune's headlines weren't as negative as they have been lately.

Just be thankful that Antoyna English is covering the Bulls anymore.....remember that hack?

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

FYI:   Just because the Times has the contract with USF doesn't mean that other papers don't support USF.  I personally prefer the Times, but I dislike how they use their contract to "cockblock" other papers from supporting us.  I just did a photoshoot yesterday  for the Trib with the Beefstuds to appear on several billboards around the Tampa Bay area.  We couldn't have ANY logos on, it couldn't say go bulls, we couldn't even throw up the Bulls Hand Sign a certain way, all because the only one who has that power is the Times and they said no.  The Trib is always better at including the students in interviews...pictures, and when have you EVER seen one St. pete Times billboard supporting the Bulls let alone a handful.  You think they would since they won't let anyone else.  The only reason i prefer the times is their layout.   I worry about the day when things get so political and we are so afraid to make one person mad or break a contract that we can't do anything.  I know it's business, but I sometimes wonder if it is more hurtful than helpful!

I wouldn't be pissed at the The Times. If the contract was signed and the the Times negotiated for exclusivity, then more power to them.

I let my subscription to the Tribune expire after McMurphy started his negative reporting spin. You can only make cracks at attendance for so long until it becomes boring.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

This is like the old boxers or briefs arguement.  Whatever floats your boat.  You have to try on at least one of each before making a decision.

Why not read both papers online for a few days or weeks and then make a decision.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  695

We subscribe to the Times but also check the Trib online.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

Here's another vote for the Times. I prefer Greg's USF coverage, but I'm also fond of the paper in general. I've appreciated the Times since I was a  young journalism major and it was presented as an exemplar of journalistic integrity.