• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hoops Signing Day - Mobley to Sign/Completes Class

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  15
  • Days Won:  0

Height is not a major concern for me. The best defender/rebounder at the PF position that I can remember at the collegiate level was Jerome Lane at Pitt in the mid 80's. He was listed at 6-6, but was 6-5 at the very best. Our own Hakim Shaihid did a **** good job manning the 5 slot for us, granted it was against Sunbelt competition, but he was listed at 6-7 and must have been standing on a phone book when they measured him. If Mobley can use his muscle to push his man away from the basket, it will negate any height disadvantage he would perceive to have. There are not to many 6-10 guys in the NCAA that can hit a 15 footer with any consistency, most of those guys are now going straight to the NBA.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  17

I had a class with Hakim back in the day and he was 6-4 at the most but chiseled out of granite.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Not to knock our the Bull past greats but Hakim played Sun Belt basketball unlike Mr. Mobley who will play BE ball.  Comparison falls short.  Mobley seems to be an odd signing.

I see Brigman & Diarra & some Jones at the 5 with Leather, Jones & Mobley at the 4 spot.  TL will see some time at the 3 and even the 5 if CRM goes athletic or there is foul trouble.  Prekevicius will primarily be a three but I can see him drift to the 2 maybe even 4 when shooters are needed.  I know the 1 is Swift w/Collins making a big push by conference play  and Mosley spending some time here too.  The 2 is a lock for Mosley w/Holmes, Bryant and Flowers(?) backing up

I saw someone mention that Brian Graham could come back.  I'd like to see it.  He would give the team solid depth at the 2-3.  Might even be worthy of Mobley's schollie.  I see .500 ball 2004-05 as possible w/o any significant injuries and a cake OOC schedule.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,831
  • Days Won:  22

Dont forget Gary Alexander,James Harper and Jesse Salters they were awesome on the glass n both were smaller guys than 6'8 but big bodies n were awesome inside players

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19

Charles Barkley is barely 6'5" FWIW.  Hakim was a monster and would've started on every team we've had since then.  He was definitely good enough to play in C-USA.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  100

Craig Smith is a 1st team all BE player and he is a 6'6" PF.  If this guy is half the player Smith is I will be happy.  

You cannot underestimate the presence of muscle down low in the college game.  Most of the big men are very slight of build.  Smith always is up against guys 2-5 inches taller than him and excels.  He was not highly recruited and is a great, great player.   Give Mobley a chance, lets see what he has before we jump to conclusions.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i will wait until they play to comment

until than they all have my support  though what bien says concerns me

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

A class of midgets and only 2 will be true freshmen when this season starts.  I don't care what anyone says or if RMC is their hero.    This class does NOT bode well for the BE or CUSA for that matter.  The BE is a tougher, physical style of play conference unlike CUSA, Pac 10 or even the Big 12.  Apparently RMC thinks we are going to the MAC and not the BE.  This is pathetic.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Charles Barkley is barely 6'5" FWIW.  Hakim was a monster and would've started on every team we've had since then.  He was definitely good enough to play in C-USA.

It is arguable if Hakim wooda started during the last two yrs of Chonsey Asbury's tenure w/BB & Tron and then with Big Will (5) in the middle w/Tron (3) & BB (4).