• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hoops Signing Day - Mobley to Sign/Completes Class

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

tbologo80x60.jpg

Apr 14, 2004

Center Mobley Completes South Florida's Class

By BRETT McMURPHY

bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

TAMPA - Maurice Mobley, a 6-foot-5, 240-pound center from Parkland (Ill.) Community College, verbally committed to South Florida and will sign today with the Bulls.

``I know it's a tough comparison, but he kind of reminds me of the Mailman [Lakers forward Karl Malone],'' Parkland CC coach Chris Warren told USFBullseye.com. ``When he gets within 10 feet of the rim, somebody better have a body on him or it's going to be trouble. I really thought he'd shatter a backboard this year. He dunks with that kind of force.''

Mobley completes USF's five-man recruiting class. Forward Marius Prekevicius (6-5, 215) of Weatherford (Texas) College and 6-3 guard Montavious Waters of Westover, Ga., earlier committed and are expected to sign today.

In November, Solomon Jones, who transferred from Daytona Beach Community College to Cloud County (Kan.) Community College in January to improve his academics, and Richland (Texas) High's Collin Dennis signed with USF.

The USF women's team is not expected to sign any recruits today, the first day of the late signing period. The USF women have three scholarships available.

This weekend three of the nation's top junior college players - Seward (Kan.) Community College guard Stephanie Thiel and Trinity Valley (Texas) Community College teammates Vanessa Clementino, a 6-2 center, and Chanae Early, a 5-5 guard - will visit USF.

This story can be found at: http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGAC4THN0TD.html

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  1,400
  • Days Won:  0

Maurice Mobley, a 6-foot-5, 240-pound CENTER

did i read that right maybe its just getting late... but  that seems kind of small for a center is that a missprint...

anyone

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Maurice Mobley, a 6-foot-5, 240-pound CENTER

did i read that right maybe its just getting late... but  that seems kind of small for a center is that a missprint...

anyone

Yes! Mccullum plans to play him at the same position he played in high school...

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  1,400

alrighty then I hope he can really deliver

Guest BasketBull.

Hakim Shahid was only 6-7, 225, and he did very well at center...

C/F Maurice Mobley JUCO

C Solomon Jones JUCO

F/G Marius Prekevicius Enters as a sophomore

PG Collin Dennis Freshman

G Montavious Waters Freshman

--------------------------------------------------

[glb]The 2 freshmen[/glb]

I think they are Big East players on paper, so nice signees.

Grade: B  Nice finds.

[glb]Jones[/glb]

We have a big void at center and if he gets his grades in order and qualifies, I think between he and Diarra we will be okay.

Grade: C Had better be good enough!

[glb]Prekevicius[/glb]

Well, he's had a lot of pt and against good players, so that is a plus, not to mention he did well against that type of competition. He can shoot, and hopefully his handling skills and speed are good enough for the Big East. Coach Mac is a teacher, so we can trust that Prekevicius will get better with time.

Grade: B- A safe pick-up with experience.

[glb]Mobley[/glb]

A JUCO-player with a big body. Well, we need the size to get inside. Hopefully he can shoot and finish when he's in there. Not much press on the Net, so it worries me.

Grade: C+ Could be an unknown sleeper or a sleeper on the bench.

Recruiting-class Grade: C+

It's been a very tough time for the team and the staff with all of the changes, so we Bulls must be patient. However, that doesn't mean that other teams will ease up on our boys when they play us... Recuiting has to get better if we are going to survive in the Big East!

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Not enough big men, too many "guards." Hopefully we may see some walkons that coach may have tucked away under the radar who have height.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

I agree with Omni here, he will be a PF...

In the brief info i've read about him on his juco and hs articles... it says he has a powerful body and tremendous leaping abililty.  My guess is that he makes up for his lack of heigh by the fact he can muscle people to the basket on offense, and use his leaping ability to put up high percentage shots, and on defense, hold his ground with his strength rather than just height (ala morris).  I wish he was taller, but i'm not disappointed.  I don't see him playing at center... Diarra and Jones will do that... with Brigman at PF/C as well.

PF will be Leather/Brigman/Mobley

We'll probably go 3 guards many times due to the # of small guys with Swift/Holmes/Mosley as well as the incoming frosh, waters and dennis.

The juco guy, not gonna try and butcher his name, from europe, will probably play SF along with leather on occasion when we aren't in a 3 guard set or need some more size on defense.

My big ? right now is still Marlyn, we are that much better defenders with him on the floor.  I hope his knees can rehab before the season.

Guest S.  Bien
I think Mobley will be at PF.

If 6-5 Mobley is playing PF, we will get killed.  I don't care if he has a 50 inch vert., at that height he will be going against guys that are 6-8 to 6-10 night in and night out at that position in C-USA and BE.  The refs will eat him up at PF because he's so much shorter, he will get nailed for every foul.

That's my biggest problem with this signing, and class.  I don't see Mobley as a BE, C-USA caliber PF, so where does he go SF, then what happens to Prek, who was probably the SF/Swing Guard on this team.  

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

I read one report that says 6'6" for mobley, and looking at his picture, if that was him, he does look big for 6'5... i see what you mean but his size/strength can make up for height, maybe not a 5 inch disadvantage, but maybe as much as 3.  I guess we'll have to wait till midnight mania to see just how big this kid is.