• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is USF's image affected by its name?

Guest bullistic930

Guest bullistic930

Ok...conversation tonight went something like this:

Coworker: "When people think of the state of Florida, they think of only three schools...FSU, UF, and Miami"

Me: "But USF just joined a BCS conference, has over 40,000 students.." etc etc

Coworker: "USF just sounds too much like a "directional" school...maybe if they had a different name..."

I was a little upset by this interaction.  I'm quite fond of the "University of South Florida" name...it sounds sexy to me.  But I can't help but wonder:  Do alot of other people feel the way my coworker feels?  He was not attacking USF or trying to be demeaning...

He suggested a name like "Tampa Bay University" (hence, the Tampa Bay Bulls) would "sound more like a major university, because if you're dont have a (State name) State University, or a University of (State), then you should be named after the metro area, a la Miami, Louisville, etc.

I know the name issue has been brought up before.  But just want to hear your thoughts - do you think USF would be viewed as more "legit" somehow by the nation at large if we were TBU instead?  I know, I know...win and people will know who we are.  Any other thoughts?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812
  • Days Won:  0

change the name to Bang U and think of all the shirts and hats already oty there.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

I like University of South Florida.  To me (and maybe to others) it sounds exotic.  Bikinis, palm trees, sun, etc.

I know this doesn't fit into the Prez' 'top-50 research institution' image for the school, but I don't think it would hurt to leverage the name into a campaign that would make it more of a 'destination' than a 'direction'.

Guest bullistic930
I like University of South Florida.  To me (and maybe to others) it sounds exotic.  Bikinis, palm trees, sun, etc.

I know this doesn't fit into the Prez' 'top-50 research institution' image for the school, but I don't think it would hurt to leverage the name into a campaign that would make it more of a 'destination' than a 'direction'.

Good reponse...this is the kinda thing I'm looking for.

My hope is that, with time, our school will become a household name as common as Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, USC, etc.  Football has done alot to get our name out there, I think.

I agree on the "exotic" image...this is also how I see it.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  701

again... win games and name wont matter

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

again... win games and name wont matter

Going for that Southern California approach eh?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

My take on the directional name ...  ::)

University of California - Los Angelas ... UCLA is a directional school ... same as U Cal - Berkley, Fullerton, etc ...

Winning cures all ... still will have some say the negatives, but that will be from ignorant people and rivals  ;D

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

ET, Los Angelas is not a direction.  However, University of Southern California is a, "directional" school.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

We need to get famous Florida Gangsta Rappers to start sporting our Jersey's and other items in their videos.  That would help us in attracting the Hipper crowd and maybe a few more of the more thuggish football players.  Master P and 2LiveCrew did wonders for Miami

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

That is of course if they could find a jersey that looks anything like the jerseys we wear on the field and on the court.

We need to get famous Florida Gangsta Rappers to start sporting our Jersey's and other items in their videos.  That would help us in attracting the Hipper crowd and maybe a few more of the more thuggish football players.  Master P and 2LiveCrew did wonders for Miami