• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Naples' Hernandez going to S. Florida

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2006/jan/24/naples_hernandez_going_s_florida/?sports

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 | Updated at 6:41 p.m.   Welcome, New Reader! Log In | Register E-mail story | Printer-friendly | Discuss story E-mail editor | iPod friendly | Get on your phone Naples' Hernandez going to S. Florida

Staying close to home was a priority for the offensive lineman. Also, Immokalee running back Javarris James, who has verbally committed to Miami, was impressed with his trip to USF.

Naples' Hernandez going to S. Florida

Staying close to home was a priority for the offensive lineman. Also, Immokalee running back Javarris James, who has verbally committed to Miami, was impressed with his trip to USF.

By Derek Redd (Contact)

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

One Collier County football standout verbally committed to the University of South Florida over the weekend, and another recently visited the school to check things out for himself.

Naples High offensive lineman Hector Hernandez, a Class 3A second-team all-state selection, verbally committed following his visit to Tampa, while Immokalee running back Javarris James, a Class 3A first-team all-state selection and the two-time Naples Daily News Offensive Player of the Year, also visited the USF campus this past weekend.

The 6-foot-4, 256-pound Hernandez helped anchor an offensive line for one of the two Southwest Florida teams to average 300 yards rushing per game. He told the recruiting Web site, Rivals.com, that proximity was one of the deciding factors to his decision.

"I really think this is the place for me," he told Rivals. "I don't know why I committed. The close-to-home factor was really the thing that made me decide I wanted to go here."

Hernandez will try to help a Bulls offensive line that must replace three starters next season. Naples coach Bill Kramer said Hernandez has the talent to make an impact.

"I'm really proud of Hector," Kramer said. "It's his commitment and his work ethic that has helped him to maximize all the size God has given him. We always tell people the overriding theme of our program is to have the ability to choose wisely. Hector has the ability and, hopefully, he'll choose wisely."

James, who rushed for 1,057 yards and 11 touchdowns in just eight games in 2005, told Rivals and Immokalee coach John Weber he thoroughly enjoyed his trip to South Florida, giving it a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. James told Rivals that he was very intrigued by the running back he would try to replace if he signed with USF.

"I was really impressed by Andre Hall," James told Rivals.

"He was the man. They all love him. I kind of put myself in his shoes and I could picture myself being something like him."

James has scheduled an official visit to Miami, where he has verbally committed, this weekend. Weber said he felt James' decision might not be made until National Signing Day on Feb. 1. The current front-runners, in Weber's mind, are Miami, USF and Nevada-Las Vegas. James recent visited UNLV. He enjoyed that trip and has three former teammates  Wiselet Rouzard, Rodelin Anthony and Renan Saint Preux  already there.

"I'll tell you now, I think it's going down to Signing Day, and he'll have three scholarships in front of him," Weber said. "He hasn't told me that yet, but that's the drift I get."

By Derek Redd (Contact)

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Hernandez is a nice pickup, he'll probably redshirt to put on some weight.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

looks like there is still hope for james to come here

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

Hernandez is a nice pickup, he'll probably redshirt to put on some weight.

Well, that was short lived..... from TBO.....

HOLD ON HECTOR: Naples OT Hector Hernandez, who committed to USF on Sunday, said his scholarship offer has been rescinded because he is visiting Louisville this weekend.

"I'm undecided right now," Hernandez said Wednesday. "USF kind of put me against the wall [to make a decision.]"

Hernandez said USF's offer was withdrawn after USF coaches learned he was still taking his Louisville visit.

With Hernandez, who has offers from UL and Central Michigan, no longer being recruited by USF, the Bulls now have 23 verbal commitments. Signing day is Wednesday.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

I hated playing naples, but not as much as fort myers or estero.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i love the move rescinding scholly

we must have someone better

let him go to ky(not to close to home)

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I want kids that want to be Bulls. If he committed to us and is still visiting UL, then I'm not so sure whether he's so gung-ho about coming to USF. If his scholarship was indeed pulled, then I don't think it's such a bad idea to send future recruits this kind of message.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

I wonder ?  We have some very smart and informed people on this board that know recruiting.  Is this the type of guy we would have done anything for two years ago but we are that much better now that we don't have to fall all over ourselves or is there someone else probably in the wings that we really want more ?

Guest Josh Newberg

It shows that the program can be picky.  This was a big time move by the USF staff.  As far as the guy waiting in the wings, we got him.....I'm sure the paper or others will pick up on it in a day or two.

Josh Newberg