• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conversation with JL

Guest Bullsgobowling

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

One point that is being overlooked is that PJ has been nothing but a QB in college and highschool.  Aside from route running and pass catching, Blocking requires a hard earned talent at this level.  It isn't something that can be mastered in one spring from someone who hasn't played a position based upon hitting.  I'm not saying he has never given nor received hits, I'm talking about three point stance, firing off the ball, low pad level, using leverage, proper hands, etc.  These are things that offensive and defensive lineman work on for years to be able to play at this level of competition.  Not to say it can't be done, but it is very unlikely.

2 things:

1.  You used the words "hard-earned talent".  Experience and talent are two completely different things.  PJ HAS the talent.

2.  There are all kinds of odd stories in the NFL, like joe horn and matt jones.  PJ does have a full year to learn the position.  It all depends on how hard he wants to work at it and how much he wants it.  His body is certainly capable.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

let's see which QB steps up.

IMHO someone has to beat PJ out for the job.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

One point that is being overlooked is that PJ has been nothing but a QB in college and highschool.  Aside from route running and pass catching, Blocking requires a hard earned talent at this level.  It isn't something that can be mastered in one spring from someone who hasn't played a position based upon hitting.  I'm not saying he has never given nor received hits, I'm talking about three point stance, firing off the ball, low pad level, using leverage, proper hands, etc.  These are things that offensive and defensive lineman work on for years to be able to play at this level of competition.  Not to say it can't be done, but it is very unlikely.

at least he has college football experience...Antonio Gates didnt when he got his UFA deal..I do believe he is one hell of a TE for the Chargers

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Ok, first of all, the words Pat Julmiste and NFL should never even enter the same PARAGRAPH unless you're talking about what he watches on tv.

A position change shouldve been made before the '05 season IF one was gonna take place. 1 year at a new position is pretty counterproductive, if you think about it.

I dont mind Julmiste as a backup QB. He's actually a pretty good 3rd stringer.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,596
  • Days Won:  29

let's see which QB steps up.

IMHO someone has to beat PJ out for the job.

Was hoping for this to happen last season, but 2 True FR was too much to ask.

Now we have a True SO, RS FR, & RS FR/SO(Gregory, not sure how that works sitting out the year, he RS'd at IU) ... I feel very good about our potential.

Hoping for the Best !

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

i love this board

when i see it i will believe it

Guest S.  Bien

I agree...I remember when this board was singing the praises of Evan "You da man" Kraky..how good he looked, how he was destined to start...all based on the spring game.  ;)

Someone said those things about Evan?  I would have smacked them down if I read it.  I saw plenty of practices back in those days and Evan couldn't have scratched water boy status.  I would say that Severino was worlds ahead of that maroon.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  387

PJ is a great athlete and a true team player. He would have no problem skill wise at TE. He ran a sort of wishbone offense in Miramar and he's already proven himself as a tough runner. Plus, because of his heart he will block with the best of them. The bonus is having a trick play up our sleeve with him in the line up.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,354
  • Days Won:  43

I say use Pat Julmiste as either a TE or FB. Use him like UL uses Michael Bush. Julmiste can run over some linebackers on the short yardage situations. I dont want to see Julmiste in at QB. I would rather USF use Amarri Jackson at QB then to have Pat play that position next season.