• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Released from Gators, Riley considers a transfer t

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

Released from Gators, Riley considers a transfer to USF

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/12/Sports/Released_from_Gators_.shtml

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published January 12, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Defensive lineman Julian Riley, the former Lakewood standout who played only one series in three seasons at Florida, is transferring this week, with USF as the front-runner.

Riley, a 6-foot-3, 280-pound redshirt sophomore, requested and was granted his release from the Gators, former Lakewood coach Brian Bruch said. His release was sent to USF, Bethune-Cookman, Southern and Eastern Kentucky, and he talked with Bulls coaches this week.

Riley would have to sit out the 2006 season after transferring, which would leave him with one year of eligibility. He had surgery in November 2003 to repair a torn knee ligament and has not shown the talent that made him a Times first-team All-Suncoast selection as a senior in 2002. He had 17 sacks among 31 tackles for a loss as a senior and Rivals.com rated him as the nation's No. 19 defensive end prospect.

BRONSON TO TRANSFER: Kyle Bronson, the freshman walk-on from Wharton who became USF's starting kicker and connected on 11 of 16 field goals this season, has requested his release and plans to transfer this summer.

Bronson's mother, Tammy, said her son spoke with coach Jim Leavitt after the season and asked to be put on scholarship.

Leavitt, who has one kicker on scholarship in freshman Mike Benzer and has a commitment from Robinson punter/kicker Delbert Alvarado, did not want to put Bronson on scholarship for the spring semester, she said.

With Bronson's departure, the likely starter is Benzer, who was 0-for-3 on field goals and 2-for-3 on extra points before losing the job to Bronson. Redshirt freshman Justin Teachey, a walk-on who handled kickoffs, will also compete for the job this spring.

INCOMING: He'll wait to make it official in person, but Joseph Jackson, a defensive end from Miami Washington, said Wednesday he'll accept a scholarship offer to USF.

"I'm visiting on the 20th, and I plan on committing then," said Jackson, a 6-foot-4, 205-pound end who had 16 sacks for Washington this season. "I just like the atmosphere of the program, and I like the way I can fit into their defense."

Jackson is a teammate of another Bulls' commitment, quarterback Alwan Lee, and said the two have been "best friends since pre-K." They'll both start in this weekend's Dade-Broward all-star game.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

No Thanks,

I dunno the complete story of this kid but I know from what I've heard he was lazy and often got into arguments with coaching staff this past season.

We'd get him for one year at that. He should just go I-AA

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

he will most likely end up in i-aa due to the years he has left.  he cant afford to sit out another year

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

If we're the only I-A his release was sent to, there's a reason.  Don't waste a schollie on him...

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we wont give a sholly to the kicker but this bum thinks we will give him one

we shouldn't tAKE GATORS  cast offs

leAVITT HAVE SOME PRIDE FOR GODSAKES

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

not worth the 1 year on the field if we can develop an underclassmen longterm at that position instead.

bad move on letting our kicker go.

Guest BullsFans
not worth the 1 year on the field if we can develop an underclassmen longterm at that position instead.

Leavitt should hire you as an advisor.

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  342

I know I am in the minority on this one but I  saw him play in High School and he was awesome.  I think one year of D-line help is worth more than a kicker.  Benzer / Alvarado have to be better than Santiago and we had to suffer with him for 4 years.  I thought Bronson was Ok but he wasn't worth all of the hubbub.

http://usf.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=9367

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

running,

If he had 2 years eligibility we'd have a point. But this is a guy who was constantly seen as "lazy" after recovering from knee surgery. He also got into it with coaching staff on many occassions (Zook's and Meyer's) He is not the same player he was in high school.

He was one year left, he hasn't been in more than a practice situtation except for one series (Which I'm sure was garbage minutes). Why waste a scholly on a guy we'll get in two years for ONE year when we could bring in a young talent that can be brought up.