• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

great read from Mike Camunas in the Oracle

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

Hall of fame

by Mike Camunas

January 09, 2006

He took off his helmet and raised it to the sky.

He bowed his head, graciously accepting the applause from fans who stuck around after his final game.

Then, the best player USF has ever had in its nine-year history trudged into the tunnel, never to don a USF jersey again.

There were many seniors playing in not only their first bowl game, but also their last with USF in Charlotte during the Meineke Car Care Bowl. However, none stood out as much as No. 2.

Not surprisingly, running back Andre Hall accounted for 167 of the Bulls’ 295 total yards. While the senior remained scoreless in his last game with USF, he holds nearly every offensive record in his two-year stint as a Bull. In 2004, Hall set the single-season rushing record with 1,357 yards. On top of winning the Big East rushing title this season over Louisville’s Michael Bush, Hall finished 2005 with 1,374 yards (a new school record) and 13 rushing touchdowns (a single-season record).

Hall also holds the single-game rushing touchdown record (3), rushing touchdowns in a career (24), career rushing yards (2,731), rushing yards in a game (275 yards), USF’s longest non-scoring run (60 yards), most points in a game (24) and most points in a season (156).

Hall spoke of the candidates for his replacement next season and feels it will probably be freshman Ricky Ponton.

“Ricky can (take over for me),†Hall said. “I told you in the beginning, ‘Ricky is going to be something special.’ He just has to get the chance. I just hope he don’t break all my records.â€Â

Hall will participate in the Senior Bowl on Jan. 28 in Mobile’s Ladd-Peebles Stadium and will look to impress NFL scouts at the NFL combine.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Met Mike in Charlotte.

Good Read Mike.

Thanx.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,142

Great article!  "Who's my favorite playa?  Mr. Andre Hall!!!"--Mutt's favorite chant!

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  102

Thanks for reading everyone.

Charlotte was a lot of fun and members from this board that I had the chance to meet where good fellas.

Thanks again,

MC

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Ponton will break Andre's records for rushing yards and TDs, if only because he'll have 2 more years than Andre did to do it.

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

I met Andre after the game at the team hotel.  What a great guy.  I got my picture with him and he signed  my USF alumni hat.  He also said something funny to my 10 year old niece.  Andre's the man!!  

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

chitown posts-maybe one day #2 will be a retired jersey

I HOPE NOT

WE SHOULD RETIRE NUMBERS OF PLAYERS  THAT ACCOMPLISH SOMETHING TRULY SPECIAL

HALL DID NOT DO ANYTHING TO WARRANT SUCH AN HONOR

CHITOWN-YOU NEED TO SET YOUR SIGHTS  HA BIT HIGHER

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

You mean being the ALL time leading rusher in school history. The player to have the two biggest rushing seasons at our school and the Big East number 1 leading rusher are NOT special?

Please give me a freaking break if Charlie Bradley's jersey is retired at USF so should Andre's

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

i agree with Smazza on this one.  you dont retire too many college football jerseys.  should Andre be in the USF athletics Hall of Fame...yes.  no need to retire a jersey.  you usually only retire jerseys of Heismans or National Title game MVPs at best.

Hall is are leading rushing in school history but there is no way that his record stands very long.  all it really needs is a 3 year starter to break it.  Ponton just might be able to do it.