• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Julmiste vows USF offense will improve

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Please.   No Qb that has taken the field for USF in the PAST THREE SEASONS has had any success or been even remotely prepared .  This is a coaching and preparation issue.  Even a below average QB like PJ should have shown some improvement and he has not, nor have any of the others.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  468
  • Days Won:  0

"I have no idea," Leavitt said. "After the Louisville game (a 45-14 win), I'd say no, after today, I'd say a lot. I haven't thought about it. But we just lost, and we've got to get moving the ball."

Fuel - meet fire. Shouldn't he be thinking about offense constantly even if it were good?

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Julmiste, who will return as a senior, took the blame for Saturday's offensive malaise, saying it will motivate him to work harder in the offseason, especially with his receivers. None of USF's quarterbacks or receivers is graduating.

"You're going to see a different group next season," Julmiste said.

Yes, a different group would be nice. The group we had this year didn't get it done. We can start with a different QB.

The sad part is that the QB job is there for the taking, but Julmiste is still the best of the bunch.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

This is a printer friendly version of an article from www.theledger.com

To print this article open the file menu and choose Print.

Back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Published Sunday, January 1, 2006

Upcoming Offseason Crucial for Julmiste

Rick Brown

CHARLOTTE, N.C. Give South Florida quarterback Pat Julmiste this: He may not be the team's quarterback next year, but he's one standup guy.

Following a dismal performance in South Florida's 14-0 loss to N.C. State in the Meineke Car Care Bowl Saturday, Julmiste stood in front of the media and literally took the blame for the contest.

"Everything they did on defense, we saw on film," the junior said. "It was my fault we didnt get it done."

He was right.

The Bulls had 300 yards of offense, but Julmiste completed just 8-of-25 passes for 91 yards and an interception.

"Sometimes, I held the ball too long, Julmiste said. "Sometimes, the receivers didnt get open. And sometimes when they did get open, I didn't get them the ball."

That also is true, along with the fact that N.C. State's defense was all over Julmiste. They sacked him five times (and USF six overall).

It wasn't all his fault. Yet, as he said, he's the leader of the offense.

He has to find a way to get the ball over the outstretched hands of a defender for a key thirddown conversion.

He has to be able to put the right touch on a timing pattern deep in his own territory.

He has to get his team into the end zone.

Quarterback has been an issue at South Florida ever since Marquell Blackwell left.

This year, the offense showed great promise early. But after the Cincinnati game, the offense seemed to regress.

If the offense scores one touchdown in the Connecticut game, it is playing for the Big East title. If it scores one touchdown in the Meineke Car Care Bowl, who knows what could have happened?

And again, it wasn't all Julmiste's fault. Many times, receivers dropped passes, couldn't get open or ran the wrong route. Not even Joe Montana could do anything about that.

So, this is a very important offseason for USF.

Freshman Carlton Hill will be a year older. And while he has shown flashes of brilliance, especially with his running game, at other times he looks clueless. Saturday, though he connected on a middle screen to Andre Hall, he also threw high on another screen and fumbled on consecutive handoffs.

That kind of performance gets you either banished to the bench or to another position.

Former Lake Gibson quarterback Matt Grothe must have been licking his chops after taking a redshirt this season, knowing he's going to get a great opportunity to get some playing time.

Julmiste is a smart guy. He knows what's at stake this offseason.

"I am going to get together with the receivers and we're going to get ready for next sesason," he said. "I need to get my junk together. If I don't get my junk together in the offseason, then I'm not going to be the guy. This is a big offseason for me."

If the Bulls are going to take it to the next level, it's time for Julmiste to lead this team. If he's not up to the task, then it's time for USF to give the reigns over to someone who can.

Rick Brown can be reached at rick.brown@theledger.com or 863-802-7569.

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

He's had 4 years to get his junk together.  He has proven he can't get it together, so whats another 8 months going to do?  

Guest parradocs

Definitely.  Julmiste's time has come and gone.  I think they waited too long to put Hill into the game.  He would have had an easier time earlier when the game was closer and he wasn't trying to bring the team back from behind.  Regarldless, someone needs to surpass Julmiste on the depth chart during the spring.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

julmissssste is not capable of throwing the ball

he has no touch or accuracy

can he throw ball hard? but so can I

pj is not a qb

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  342

julmissssste is not capable of throwing the ball

he has no touch or accuracy

can he throw ball hard? but so can I

pj is not a qb

Hey Smazza  do you have any more eligibility left?  Since you know everything about football(just ask you) and you just stated that you have a cannon arm,  you would be the answer to our offensive woes.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

I think Pat would make an excellent running back. Size, speed, and good fit there. Just not at QB.