• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Where are we rowing to?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

25 minutes ago, Bullcocky said:

I actually used my tickets, drove the 8 hours, and was in attendance for this game. I got a call from somebody I know in athletics and he reassured me that usf has a plan to be in the upper echelons of college football in the up coming years apparently they are not content with being a novelty product and still committed to competing at the highest level. I still want to see concrete plans, but it's reassuring that we aren't content with the status quo. It was a good game. Glad to be back to a bowl. 

Can they at least provide the elevator pitch on how they are doing this or is everything supposed to be glossed over by the word stadium?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

31 minutes ago, Bullcocky said:

I actually used my tickets, drove the 8 hours, and was in attendance for this game. I got a call from somebody I know in athletics and he reassured me that usf has a plan to be in the upper echelons of college football in the up coming years apparently they are not content with being a novelty product and still committed to competing at the highest level. I still want to see concrete plans, but it's reassuring that we aren't content with the status quo. It was a good game. Glad to be back to a bowl. 

If that's the exact way it was worded to you, you probably got pranked. Unless USF has been told by a conference(s) exactly what to do and then guarantee, in writing, you'll get the invite when you do, nobody in Athletics can make that statement. Closest thing they can say is that they've planned/are planning stuff to try and be in position to be attractive when/if more expansion comes around.

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

If that's the exact way it was worded to you, you probably got pranked. Unless USF has been told by a conference(s) exactly what to do and then guarantee, in writing, you'll get the invite when you do, nobody in Athletics can make that statement. Closest thing they can say is that they've planned/are planning stuff to try and be in position to be attractive when/if more expansion comes around.

It was probably closer to Stadium good. Mike build stadium. Yay!! Uh-oh bills bad. Mike need money, give Mike more money, yay!!!!

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

It was probably closer to Stadium good. Mike build stadium. Yay!! Uh-oh bills bad. Mike need money, give Mike more money, yay!!!!

eyeroll.gif.84fd0ddd553075600f00fe19ee579042.gif

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  227
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, hightechbull said:

An OCS makes them a hell of a lot more money.   At RJS the Bucs and the TSA have their hands out first before USF gets their share of the profits.

Agree! And what conference is going to agree to have any revenues generated by said conference go first to the TSA or the Bucs? 

I don’t think that it was a coincidence that the schools the Big 12 selected  (BYU, UCF, Cincy, and Houston)  had their own stadiums….

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

10 minutes ago, St.PeteSlim89 said:

Agree! And what conference is going to agree to have any revenues generated by said conference go first to the TSA or the Bucs? 

I don’t think that it was a coincidence that the schools the Big 12 selected  (BYU, UCF, Cincy, and Houston)  had their own stadiums….

Yet USC and UCLA were selected by the BiG. Don't think stadiums factored in. Probably winning, tradition and TV markets.

14 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Yet USC and UCLA were selected by the BiG. Don't think stadiums factored in. Probably winning, tradition and TV markets.

Agreed, making the other members the most money is the only thing of consideration in realignment and a stadium doesn’t make them an additional penny. Had so much not been made of the shabbiness of UCF’s stadium no one would be pretending it was a necessary and important component of their selection. Most teams have an OCS, for no other reason than they had no other option as such most teams called up are in fact going to have an OCS but the P5 is littered with teams that don’t. It’s a non factor.

Edited by puc86

31 minutes ago, St.PeteSlim89 said:

Don't really know how big, if any, a part that played but it is interesting that the city of Memphis just announced transferring ownership of Liberty Stadium to the university ...

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  227
  • Days Won:  0

21 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Agree with your factors. However, those schools don’t share a stadium with an NFL team, so revenue sharing presumably wouldn’t be an issue. 

Memphis didn’t get selected in the last round of conference realignment either. However, the City of Memphis is getting ready to transfer ownership of the Liberty Bowl to the University of Memphis.  Why would the University accept ownership and future maintenance costs?  To obtain additional revenues and control revenue streams? Just a thought.

I’m just speculating that stadium revenue sharing is a hurdle in conference realignment. But if it is, then how does USF solve that problem? Other than getting a really good lawyer to renegotiate the agreement with the TSA, it seems to me that the solution is to go find another place to play football. 

I’ll get off the soap box now…

Go Bulls

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

9 hours ago, Triple B said:

Don't really know how big, if any, a part that played but it is interesting that the city of Memphis just announced transferring ownership of Liberty Stadium to the university ...

So we just need to own Ray Jay, not have it on campus?

• Upvote 1