• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Women’s Basketball Picked First In AAC Preseason Poll

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

24 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

With Dulcy gone, do we have anyone that can replace her productivity? Johansson only saw about 9 minutes per game as Dulcy's backup. Here is an old highlight tape that showcases her skills. At about an inch taller than Dulcy, she has better ball-handling and outside shooting skills than Dulcy.

Probably not going to get the number of rebounds as Dulcy unless she's bulked up a bit this year. But Dulcy got much stronger and aggressive going into last year so here's hoping Emma had done that. But, as you pointed out in other posts, we are overall taller this year so hopefully the rebounding will be more spread out among the others.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  779
  • Days Won:  2

27 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Probably not going to get the number of rebounds as Dulcy unless she's bulked up a bit this year. But Dulcy got much stronger and aggressive going into last year so here's hoping Emma had done that. But, as you pointed out in other posts, we are overall taller this year so hopefully the rebounding will be more spread out among the others.

Yes, I think she that she may not average what Dulcy did last year, but, as you said, the team should be a better rebounding one this year. One stat that she may end up with that was better than Dulcy's is blocks. She had about half as many blocks in 4x fewer minutes.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

this is impressive

i wonder how football and mens basketball can be so bad for so long

10 minutes ago, smazza said:

this is impressive

i wonder how football and mens basketball can be so bad for so long

When you say impressive, are you referring to the sustained success of the women's team?

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

Well, this happened for many reasons that all came together. 
1. We hired the right coach who had a clue and knew how to do his job.

2. That coach knew how to recruit in a lesser recruited area of the world early on before it became more popular. There aren’t as many top tier women’s basketball players in the USA as in the men’s game, and he went elsewhere to pull in unrecruited talent for USF. The top tier women’s players typically all go to the same 10-15 schools each year.

3. The same coach recognized he has a good thing going for him, wasn’t greedy and opportunistic and stayed at USF to build success here. (Caveat: there isn’t as much money in women’s basketball or room for career altering advancement aka jumping from one program to another as a women’s head coach after having some success like in football or even men’s basketball. This is because there aren’t as many successful large programs with open desirable jobs. — USF has been establishing itself under CJF as one of those perennial Top 25 programs and destination spot.)

We are EXTREMELY lucky to have Jose Fernandez at the helm to continue guiding this program to greatness. What a story!

• Upvote 1

Here is another chance to see Levy in action against Tennessee. I saw her block 3 shots but she was credited with only 1. Her final stats line in 28 minutes:

Pts: 10 (all seen in video); Rebounds: 5; Assists: 2; Steals: 2; Blocks: 1

She is on video during the following time marks: 0-6, 14-18, and 21-end.

In all the clips I have seen of her, she seems to favor her ACL knee, which seems to limit her mobility. Other than that, I am very impressed with her all-around game.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

2 hours ago, USFBulls12 said:

Well, this happened for many reasons that all came together. 
1. We hired the right coach who had a clue and knew how to do his job.

2. That coach knew how to recruit in a lesser recruited area of the world early on before it became more popular. There aren’t as many top tier women’s basketball players in the USA as in the men’s game, and he went elsewhere to pull in unrecruited talent for USF. The top tier women’s players typically all go to the same 10-15 schools each year.

3. The same coach recognized he has a good thing going for him, wasn’t greedy and opportunistic and stayed at USF to build success here. (Caveat: there isn’t as much money in women’s basketball or room for career altering advancement aka jumping from one program to another as a women’s head coach after having some success like in football or even men’s basketball. This is because there aren’t as many successful large programs with open desirable jobs. — USF has been establishing itself under CJF as one of those perennial Top 25 programs and destination spot.)

We are EXTREMELY lucky to have Jose Fernandez at the helm to continue guiding this program to greatness. What a story!

It has been a while but I think when UF had an opening he was contacted. He really is happy living here and I think he'd like to stay. It's just a shame that the top talent goes to those 10 - 15 schools. He's a really good coach and always has a nice staff to support him.

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,045
  • Days Won:  10

5 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

It has been a while but I think when UF had an opening he was contacted. He really is happy living here and I think he'd like to stay. It's just a shame that the top talent goes to those 10 - 15 schools. He's a really good coach and always has a nice staff to support him.

easy one, living in Gainesville or Tampa?  

16 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

It is only a matter of time. If they start having better success (deep runs in the tournament), we may see more top recruits. I think that there are many young girls who are dreaming of playing for USF when they are older. Hopefully, a few of them develop in top players. If they have had that dream, it does not matter which school comes calling.

This brings me to Amy Thompson, who already committed for the class of 2024. Why would one of the top high school point guards in the state of Minnesota (and probably the country) commit to USF as a junior? Does she have ties to Tampa or to CJF? When Puisis leaves, she won't be missed because Thompson will light it up from deep.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

38 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

It is only a matter of time. If they start having better success (deep runs in the tournament), we may see more top recruits. I think that there are many young girls who are dreaming of playing for USF when they are older. Hopefully, a few of them develop in top players. If they have had that dream, it does not matter which school comes calling.

This brings me to Amy Thompson, who already committed for the class of 2024. Why would one of the top high school point guards in the state of Minnesota (and probably the country) commit to USF as a junior? Does she have ties to Tampa or to CJF? When Puisis leaves, she won't be missed because Thompson will light it up from deep.

I'll miss her. I hope she has the same spark this season without her friend Dulcy around...they seemed to be really tight.