• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Women’s Basketball Picked First In AAC Preseason Poll

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DATE: Monday Oct. 9, 2023

LINK:https://bit.ly/3ZI0zC5

Women’s Basketball Picked First In AAC Preseason Poll; Sammie Puisis Named First-Team

IRVING, Texas (Oct. 9, 2023) – For the fourth straight year, the University of South Florida women’s basketball program has been picked to finish first in this year's rendition of the American Athletic Conference (AAC) preseason coaches poll, as announced by the league office on Monday.

Additionally, senior guard Sammie Puisis was named to the AAC Preseason All-Conference First Team.

The Bulls landed atop the preseason coaches poll with a grand total of 166 points and 10-of-14 first-place votes. East Carolina (159) was picked to finish second with the last four first-place votes. Rice (135), SMU (118), and Memphis (115) rounded out the top five spots. Tulane (110), Tulsa (104), UTSA (75), Temple (72), Charlotte (62), Wichita State (53), and North Texas (47) were slotted sixth through 12 on the ledger. UAB (30) and Florida Atlantic (28) rounded out the bottom two teams.

Puisis averaged 15.5 ppg and 4.1 rpg last season while starting 33-of-34 contests. The Mason, Ohio native put up double-figures in all but five contests and had 11 20-plus point outings. She finished the 2022-23 season with 109 3-point field goals made, the third most in a single season in program history and fifth all-time in the American. Puisis finished the last season ranked fifth national in three-point field goals per game (3.21).

This past season, South Florida posted a 27-7 overall record and held a 15-1 mark in conference action. The 2022-23 campaign was concluded on a high note, as the program made its ninth appearance in the NCAA Tournament, marking its eighth trip to the Big Dance in the last 11 years. USF has advanced to the postseason 18 times in the club's history.

Included in their 27 wins were ranked victories against No. 22/18 Texas, 70-65, a gritty 66-65 overtime win versus No. 17/19 Arkansas in the San Diego Invitational, and a 67-65, comeback overtime triumph against ninth-seeded Marquette in the first round of March Madness.

The Bulls will kick off the 2023-24 campaign with four of the first five matchups at home versus UT Arlington (Monday, Nov. 6), Stetson (Friday, Nov. 10), Grambling State (Monday, Nov. 13), and North Florida (Sunday, Nov. 19) before heading to Alabama (Thursday, Nov. 16). USF will then head to the U.S. Virgin Islands to take part in its fourth Paradise Jam appearance. Playing in the Reef Tournament, USF will play High Point (Thursday, Nov. 23), Arizona State (Friday, Nov. 24), and Texas (Saturday, Nov. 25).

2023-24 AAC Women’s Basketball Preseason Coaches’ Poll

1. South Florida (10)            166
  2. East Carolina (4)               159
  3. Rice                                     135
  4. SMU                                   118
  5. Memphis                           115
  6. Tulane                                110
  7. Tulsa                                  104
  8. UTSA                                  75
  9. Temple                              72
  10. Charlotte                           62
  11. Wichita State                    53
  12. North Texas                      47
  13. UAB                                    30
  14. Florida Atlantic                 28

First-place votes in parenthesis

Preseason Player of the Year

Danae McNeal, Gr., G, East Carolina

Preseason All-Conference First Team

Amiya Joyner, So., F, East Carolina

Danae McNeal, Gr., G, East Carolina*

Madison Griggs, Gr., G, Memphis

Sammie Puisis, Sr., G, South Florida

Temira Poindexeter, Jr., F, Tulsa

Preseason All-Conference Second Team

Dazia Lawrence, R-Jr., G, Charlotte

Aniya Hubbard, So., G, Florida Atlantic

Malia Fisher, Jr., F, Rice

Aleah Nelson, 5th, G, Temple

Jordyn Jenkins, Sr., F, UTSA

* Denotes unanimous selection

TICKETS 
Fans can purchase women’s basketball tickets by calling 1-800-GoBulls or at USFBullsTix.com.

WATCH THE BULLS
All of South Florida's home regular season games will once again be streamed live on the ESPN+ platform. Subscriptions for the ESPN+ app is $9.99 monthly or $99.99 annually and can be packaged with Hulu and Disney+ streaming services. A step-by-step guide for subscribing to ESPN+ is located here.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

Massey Ratings' algorithm predicts the Bulls women's basketball team will finish the regular season 26-3 with losses coming on the road at Alabama (36% chance of winning), in the Bahamas vs. Texas (18% chance of winning), home vs NC State (30% of winning).

They predict USF will finish 18-0 in conference play.

2022-23: 15-1 in conference.

2021-22: 12-3 in conference.

2020-21: 12-2 in conference.

If the Bulls finish 18-0 in conference this season, as modeled, the ladies will be 57-6 in conference over the past 4 seasons (.905 win %).

We should expect another trip to the NCAA tournament this season.

Support the women's basketball team and CJF! :1396_metal_tone2:

https://masseyratings.com/cbw2024/7278

Edited by USFBulls12
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  779
  • Days Won:  2

First game in 4 weeks. I don't know which I am most excited to see, women's or men's basketball.

GOUSFBULLS.COM

For the fourth straight year, the University of South Florida women's basketball program has been picked to finish first in this year's rendition of the American Athletic...

• Go Bulls! 1

6 hours ago, USFBulls12 said:

Massey Ratings' algorithm predicts the Bulls women's basketball team will finish the regular season 26-3 with losses coming on the road at Alabama (36% chance of winning), in the Bahamas vs. Texas (18% chance of winning), home vs NC State (30% of winning).

They predict USF will finish 18-0 in conference play.

2022-23: 15-1 in conference.

2021-22: 12-3 in conference.

2020-21: 12-2 in conference.

If the Bulls finish 18-0 in conference this season, as modeled, the ladies will be 57-6 in conference over the past 4 seasons (.905 win %).

We should expect another trip to the NCAA tournament this season.

Support the women's basketball team and CJF! :1396_metal_tone2:

https://masseyratings.com/cbw2024/7278

Interesting that they predicted we will lose to 2 teams we beat last year. Bama and Texas must be hugely improved or they are not aware of the roster we have.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Well, let’s prove that wrong…

26-3 is very attractive too.  

20 minutes ago, Brad said:

Well, let’s prove that wrong…

26-3 is very attractive too.  

I like 29-0 better. I think we have the team to do it.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Try to give us an 8 or 9 seed with a second round matchup against South Carolina after going 29-0! Honestly though, if we went undefeated in our regular season, we'd probably be the first team to go undefeated and not get a #1 seed. If we did, I think we'd be the weakest #1 seed of the 4.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

4 hours ago, panchosanchez99 said:

We did lose two WNBA draft picks. I know we picked up some talent but those two will be hard to replace.

8 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

We did lose two WNBA draft picks. I know we picked up some talent but those two will be hard to replace.

Yes, we did lose 2 good players, but this squad is better than last year's squad. Last year, I think our 2 biggest weaknesses were lack of height and having a point guard who had no offensive game. Our third biggest weakness was Tsineke's propensity to turn the ball over. She often had the ball stolen when trying to dribble by 2 players. She also had her shot blocked often trying to score against players several inches taller. We won't be depending on Tsineke to score this year, so those weaknesses are gone. In addition, we addressed the height issue.

If Lutje, Johansson, and Levy are on the floor at same time, the team would have 3-4 great outside shooters with Lutje down low. While Dulcy was a better post player than Johansson, the latter has a better outside game. If Lutje plays in the post, we would have Puisis, Levy, and Johansson who are all good at draining the 3-pointer. If the point guard is someone other than Wilson, that would be 4 good 3-point shooters in the lineup at the same time.

So, as a group, I think this 5 is much better than last year's starting 5. They are bigger, better shooters, and better ball-handlers than last year's squad. And this is why I think they have a shot at going unbeaten in the regular season.

• Like 1