• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is it cool now to complain about game lengths?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,075
  • Days Won:  469

Seems everyone is whining about how long a game takes.  Geez.  Just leave.

I shall open myself to abuse, but I just don't get it.  First it was the people that didn't understand baseball, but had to be seen at games and then shuffle off to something more important like a furry party.  

I don't get the complaining.  Just like baseball, it's the perfect time to talk to the fan next to you, grab a bev or berate the officials 😉.  Enjoy the time or GO THE **** HOME!  Or just stare at your phones longer.

But don't change the game to accommodate this now common complaint.  Everybody wants things over faster so they can go do something faster.  More, more more, less depth, less enjoyment. 

I know, commercials.   Imagine the games not being on TV, especially in the new AAC.

• Upvote 2
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

I shall open myself to abuse, but I just don't get it.  First it was the people that didn't understand baseball, but had to be seen at games and then shuffle off to something more important like a furry party.  

I don't get the complaining.  Just like baseball, it's the perfect time to talk to the fan next to you, grab a bev or berate the officials 😉.  Enjoy the time or GO THE **** HOME!  Or just stare at your phones longer.

But don't change the game to accommodate this now common complaint.  Everybody wants things over faster so they can go do something faster.  More, more more, less depth, less enjoyment. 

I know, commercials.   Imagine the games not being on TV, especially in the new AAC.

When you only get 12 or 13 games per season, 4 hours should be tolerable. Hell, we should all want it to last as long as it can. 

As far as baseball goes, with 162 games per season, I'm definitely fine with the new rules. 4+ hour 9 inning baseball games are a bit absurd. I also think it plays to the advantage of younger teams, so as a Rays fan, I'm for it. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,503
  • Days Won:  13

Big problem is when the games are going over and you are trying to watch on TV. Games go over and games scheduled to be on TV don't get on TV until mid 1st quarter. 

3 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I'm definitely fine with the new rules.

Like a reliever having to face three batters?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

As others have said, baseball I understand.  162 game season and games that should take 2 hours were creeping to 3 1/2 hours.  That is a lot of time over the course of a season.  NCAA football is a dozen games per year.  More of an event, in that case I agree - who cares how long it takes?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

When you only get 12 or 13 games per season, 4 hours should be tolerable. Hell, we should all want it to last as long as it can. 

True!

I have the luxury of committing my entire day to USF Football on Saturdays.  When the kids were young, I still had to coach games, but I made it work.  I never once thought the problem was the game and not my own mismanagement of life.  :roflmao:

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

I try not to worry about what is cool, but yes I will complain about the increased stoppages and commercials.  I don't see ESPN's corporate interests as aligning with USF's interests anymore.  Until it does I suppose then bring on the commercials.

1 minute ago, Who'sYourData? said:

NCAA football is a dozen games per year.  More of an event, in that case I agree - who cares how long it takes?

WTF is going on here?  I was trying to be controversial....

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

16 minutes ago, Brad said:

I think this obscures the shrinkflation argument that is happening.

Just now, Rocky Style said:

I try not to worry about what is cool, but yes I will complain about the increased stoppages and commercials.  I don't see ESPN's corporate interests as aligning with USF's interests anymore.  Until it does I suppose then bring on the commercials.

In some ways the game has done it to itself "by changing the game" and allowing for ridiculous reviews.  That ain't on the TV overlords.