• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ah, those academic folks . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

4 hours ago, Rizman said:

Sure, we are fleecing the students and alumni so they can have an on campus college football experience.  Now bend over and hand me that money.

1) I'm in favor of the OCS because it benefits me.

2) There has never been a stadium built that pays off on the idea that it is has a financial return on investment. Pro or college. In the professional world, it has proved to be a total loss in all aspects for the community moneywise. I doubt it will be different for USF.

3) The OCS will benefit athletics and those who like football. It will not help academics or the school as a whole.

4) It will probably be a financial debt that MANY students pay for and don't care about. 

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

11 minutes ago, JTrue said:

2) There has never been a stadium built that pays off on the idea that it is has a financial return on investment. Pro or college. In the professional world, it has proved to be a total loss in all aspects for the community moneywise. I doubt it will be different for USF.

Seems the Glazers benefitted from a mighty payoff on their community funded stadium.  Bought the team for $192 and within a handful of years established a billion dollar value on the Bucs.

Just because it's dumb for communities to hand out stadiums doesn't mean they can't have a positive financial impact.  Of course Hillsborough gave away a hell of a lot more than a stadium, too.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,616
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, Friscobull said:

I didn’t need the health insurance fee, or the wellness fee, would have opted out of the environmental fee if we had one.  Hell I would have opted out of all of the fees as would most everyone else therefore making these fees worthless.  If we can opt out of that fee then we should be able to opt out of all of them. 

There are only two sure things in life death and taxes. The college version is there are only two things at a university ridiculously overpriced textbooks and made up fees to make more money.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

Seems the Glazers benefitted from a mighty payoff on their community funded stadium.  Bought the team for $192 and within a handful of years established a billion dollar value on the Bucs.

Just because it's dumb for communities to hand out stadiums doesn't mean they can't have a positive financial impact.  Of course Hillsborough gave away a hell of a lot more than a stadium, too.

I would bet the Glazers will do better than USF on each of our stadiums.

3 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Probably because their stadium was mostly publicly funded and holds a lot more people for mega concerts sell out football games.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

9 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Well, of course, we’re not getting any handouts and giveaways.

8 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Probably because their stadium was mostly publicly funded and holds a lot more people for mega concerts sell out football games.

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

Well, of course, we’re not getting any handouts and giveaways.

Sort of my financial point. We're going to fund this and... based on attendance, we have 50k students, 10k goes to games. So, 40k are paying for something they don't care about. A lot like Tampa paying for RJS.

2 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Sort of my financial point. We're going to fund this and... based on attendance, we have 50k students, 10k goes to games. So, 40k are paying for something they don't care about. A lot like Tampa paying for RJS.

It is a valid point. Party at the Ray Jay and Jim Leavitt  were some good times in a power conference.  I still think winning matters more than anything else.

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,483
  • Days Won:  43

9 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

It is a valid point. Party at the Ray Jay and Jim Leavitt  were some good times in a power conference.  I still think winning matters more than anything else.

Makes me wonder if UCF or Tulane would have stated winning without their new OCS…..

4 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

Makes me wonder if UCF or Tulane would have stated winning without their new OCS…..

Depends on their coaching hires.  Good coaches will win no matter whether their team Plays on campus or not. I think the ocs will help build tradition for usf football but winning with sustained success is more important.