• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hoops roster-builder thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,169
  • Days Won:  56

5 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I was thinking a 6'10"+ to start at center and a 6'9" forward. One center in the portal that I like is 6'11" Favour Aire who sat the bench as a freshman 4-star recruit this past year at U of Miami. He is athletic and is a great rim protector. If he wanted immediate playing time, I would imagine that he would step in right away. However, even we offered, he will probably go elsewhere.

I wish we had made Dok a priority to keep. He was a project, but I liked his potential.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  779
  • Days Won:  2

9 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I wish we had made Dok a priority to keep. He was a project, but I liked his potential.

I liked his potential as well. He tweeted today that he is heading to Cleveland State.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12
  • Days Won:  0

Jayden Reid discusses USF.  I wish there was more noise coming from the portal ...

• Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

14 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Transfer portal closes today.

Will there be another period before the season starts?

1 hour ago, belgianbull said:

Will there be another period before the season starts?

According to what I found, today is the last day to enter your name into the portal; however, once in the portal, you are there indefinitely. That is, if a school has not offered you by the end of the day, you may still receive an offer up until the next season starts.

• Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

1 minute ago, panchosanchez99 said:

According to what I found, today is the last day to enter your name into the portal; however, once in the portal, you are there indefinitely. That is, if a school has not offered you by the end of the day, you may still receive an offer up until the next season starts.

Thanks for the info. That's good to hear. So still time to sign more players.

Just now, panchosanchez99 said:

Also, a lot of big name players entered the portal in the last week, including lots of centers. These were 4-star recruits who did not get a lot of playing time last year. Will Shaver at UNC, Ernest Udeh at Kansas, Isaiah Miranda at NC State, Mohamed Keita at St. John's, and more. Not saying that we have a shot at any of these four, but because of the large number in the portal, I think we have a shot to find us a legitimate starter.

• Content Count:  12
  • Days Won:  0

Udeh is an Orlando guy (Dr. Phillips High).  Would be a very solid get...  

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

1 hour ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Also, a lot of big name players entered the portal in the last week, including lots of centers. These were 4-star recruits who did not get a lot of playing time last year. Will Shaver at UNC, Ernest Udeh at Kansas, Isaiah Miranda at NC State, Mohamed Keita at St. John's, and more. Not saying that we have a shot at any of these four, but because of the large number in the portal, I think we have a shot to find us a legitimate starter.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. I don't think Amir really prioritizes a true center. Last year he had a 9 man rotation and the biggest guy was 6'8 264. Brandon Stroud at 6'6 200 was the 3rd biggest guy in his rotation.

Must preach fundamentals as they still we're great at not allowing offensive boards, 87th percentile in the nation at that. That even held up when playing power teams. 

Against Xavier they had 10 offensive boards and let up 4.

Against Florida they had 11 offensive boards and let up 6.

Against VCU they had 14 offensive boards and let up 8.

Against Indiana they had 4 offensive boards and let up 5.

Playing smaller allows them to have better perimeter defense too, their opponents had one of the worst assist/turnover ratios in the country. That combination of forcing the opposition to create off the dribble and not allowing extra possessions by boxing out is especially deadly when you're smaller and quicker and can capitalize by pushing the pace the other way and catching the defense out of position. Not a coincidence they we're in the 92nd percentile in the country at drawing fouls.