• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conwell enters the portal

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

Of course not, but it depends on the quality of the big man.  I see it all the time out here - the other Hurley runs on threes until they lose.  They don't use bigs to get a bucket when they really need one.  Loss.  Like SDSU without a big to count on went 11 minutes tossing up clankers and falling behind by 16 +

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

19 minutes ago, Brad said:

Of course not, but it depends on the quality of the big man.  I see it all the time out here - the other Hurley runs on threes until they lose.  They don't use bigs to get a bucket when they really need one.  Loss.  Like SDSU without a big to count on went 11 minutes tossing up clankers and falling behind by 16 +

in the national championship game.....

very few teams can (or do) run their offense through a traditional post player. Tchewa is a traditional post player.

He has to play down low with his back to the basket otherwise he is a liability on offense.

Purdue runs an offense through Edey. How did that work out?

sure in the slow boring big ten world it's great but once they play athletic teams they fold.

I appreciate what Tchewa did here but if our new coach doesn't run an old school offense through a low post then it really doesn't make sense for him to stay.

Edited by Bull94

16 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

very few teams can (or do) run their offense through a traditional post player.

Not saying anyone does.  I'm discussing your suggestion that a team only needs 5 guys that can shoot threes.

As I said Tchewa was an average big AT BEST.  That's to be kind.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

Not saying anyone does.  I'm discussing your suggestion that a team only needs 5 guys that can shoot threes.

As I said Tchewa was an average big AT BEST.  That's to be kind.

I don't think you only need 5 guys to shoot threes.

I think you need a stretch 5 that can do more than play in the low post.

He needs to be a threat to run the floor. He needs to be able to dribble drive. Maybe knock down a 3 once in a while.

He has to be a threat outside of the paint to stretch the defense. He doesn't have to be a lumbering 7 footer that's only a threat in the low post.

You ever notice how good teams play a guy that isn't a threat on the perimeter. They sag off him and play help. players like that clog the lanes.

The new coach clearly values shooters.

KSU shot 37% from 3.

Miami shot 37%. FAU shot 37%. UConn shot 36%. heck even the terrible shooting SDSU shot 35%.

Our team without Harris barely shot 30%.

There is a reason why the NBA and college are going away from the traditional post player.

Yes 5s that can hit threes. That's what it was, had to go back and look.  But it would then be five guys that can shoot threes.

Yeah...

Again, you're arguing the wrong argument.  It has nothing to do with Tchewa.  Put a different way, in your terms, I would NEED my all-world MVP 5-tool All-Star post to also play under the basket.  Teams, like SDSU, ASU and others struggle when they really need a basket because they don't play inside basketball.  Perimeter, non-contact basketball doesn't work when you run into perimeter ball-hawking bullies like SDSU.   UConn figured it out.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,045
  • Days Won:  10

Either way losing someone ( Tchewa) who scored 11 points a game( second on the team), and provided 8.6 rebounds a game ( first on the team) is very disappointing.  If there was someone who I would have liked to stay around for another year ( together with Miguel) it was him. Hope coach Rahim can recruit and get some more players through the transfer portal. The additions of Youngblood and Stroud are great, but that now has been offset by  potentially losing Conwell and Tchewa, and we need more quality players if we want to be competitive year 1.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

Again, Tchewa was improved but average at best.   If he can't replace Tchewa (if he leaves) through recruiting and/or development then we got bigger issues.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  366
  • Days Won:  1

Tchewa is very replaceable, to win we need the opposite of Tchewa. We need a big man that can throw it down when a good pass is delivered, good rebounder and rim protector.He doesn’t have to be the leading scorer on the team. Out those 3 things I listed Tchewa was decent at only one. 

now Miguel I really hope he stays because he could create his own shot. he was very good at getting to the rim with the right hand even when being guarded.

• Upvote 1