• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

He wasn't kidding (re: recruiting)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

11 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

You must also need to account, the type of players Tennessee attracts vs USF. Just because a kid can’t break into starting role at UT doesn’t mean he can’t at USF. We had one of the worse defensive line in college football. 

Doesn't mean they can.  Didn't we pull like six transfer portal guys on the DLine last year?  Did they improve the DLine sognificantly?  If so, why are we there again?

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,170
  • Days Won:  56

9 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

You must also need to account, the type of players Tennessee attracts vs USF. Just because a kid can’t break into starting role at UT doesn’t mean he can’t at USF. We had one of the worse defensive line in college football. 

I’m not sure what the argument is here? Did someone get on Coach Go for not signing Mamudi and Phillips? I didn’t see that. I also didn’t see anyone saying we know better than him on talent. On paper, they both looked like guys that could help our d-line, but I trust that Alex knows what he’s doing. As for, “if they were any good, they wouldn’t be in the portal” - that’s just nonsense. Lots of good guys in the portal. We’ve gotten a few of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Doesn't mean they can.  Didn't we pull like six transfer portal guys on the DLine last year?  Did they improve the DLine sognificantly?  If so, why are we there again?

Is it your point that we shouldn’t be signing guys from the portal - period? Or just D-linemen from the portal?

15 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Is it your point that we shouldn’t be signing guys from the portal - period? Or just D-linemen from the portal?

My point is that we have no idea of any particular player we sign will help or not.  I know it is fun to speculate.  But a guy from JuCo is as likley to succeed as a guy who flamed out a good school.  A guy like GB who succeeded on the field is one thing.  But a guy that didn't see the field for a "big" school really doesn't mean much

7 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

My point is that we have no idea of any particular player we sign will help or not.  I know it is fun to speculate.  But a guy from JuCo is as likley to succeed as a guy who flamed out a good school.  A guy like GB who succeeded on the field is one thing.  But a guy that didn't see the field for a "big" school really doesn't mean much

I don’t think anyone would argue that point. So we won’t know until we know, right? It’s all speculation. But I think we might all be able to agree that, looking at the roster, interior d-line needs some more bodies. We can’t be playing guys who are 230-250 pounds in there and expect to stop anyone.

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I don’t think anyone would argue that point. So we won’t know until we know, right? It’s all speculation. But I think we might all be able to agree that, looking at the roster, interior d-line needs some more bodies. We can’t be playing guys who are 230-250 pounds in there and expect to stop anyone.

Certaintly not saying we don't need DLine help, clearly we do.  And sure one would *hope* to get a *leftover* from a big time school that works out.  My only point was the premise that "this guy was on the bench at **** school, so clearly he is an immediate upgrade for us."  That part isn't really how things work.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,844
  • Days Won:  22

2 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Which six players from DLine are you referring too?

Cheney from Minnesota started and was our best DT last year. Bags from Temple got much playing time. Pinder from UNC never made it to school, neither did Ash from Wake Forest.. so from my records , two came in and they both produced.

We are there again because only two are in team from last year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I’m not sure what the argument is here? Did someone get on Coach Go for not signing Mamudi and Phillips? I didn’t see that. I also didn’t see anyone saying we know better than him on talent. On paper, they both looked like guys that could help our d-line, but I trust that Alex knows what he’s doing. As for, “if they were any good, they wouldn’t be in the portal” - that’s just nonsense. Lots of good guys in the portal. We’ve gotten a few of them.

Was referring to the post that anyone in transferring portal from P5 schools wouldn’t start here.

15 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Certaintly not saying we don't need DLine help, clearly we do.  And sure one would *hope* to get a *leftover* from a big time school that works out.  My only point was the premise that "this guy was on the bench at **** school, so clearly he is an immediate upgrade for us."  That part isn't really how things work.

And the opposite is also true, just because they were on bench in those schools doesn’t mean they wouldn’t start here.

the two transfers we took last year from Minnesota and Temple would say otherwise. Both got way more playing time here than they did at schools they transferred from. That tells you how bad we were in the trenches.

Both return this year and will get plenty of playing time. Truth is that we haven’t gotten nor developed much at the DT position for a few years,which is why we are back in same boat in 2023. We better find some more big bodies

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

2 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Yes, I agree. Its hard to predict which players will produce. The problem right now is that we are an AAC team that just won 4 games in three years, so 4-5 star high school recruits, or players that started and produced in FBS last year are not jumping to come to USF right now, with a few exceptions. The hope is that coach Golesh is able to find the right type of players who might not have the resume, and who might have flown under the radar, but can be coached up or developed to help USF get wins next year. If we start winning recruiting will pick up. Also better coaching will help, and you might see players develop that nobody expects; even players that didn't contribute last year.

Also there is time  left until I believe after Spring training to bring players in through the transfer portal ( remember Bohanon last year I believe). Hopefully he will be able to bring in more players to shore up defensive needs.

• Upvote 1