• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF players and the Transfer Portal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

4 minutes ago, BrowardBull17 said:

Matthew Hill disagrees with you. 

Possibly the worst DB I’ve ever seen . . . Didn’t he start out at Auburn as a WR. Maybe we ought to try that.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

A third string OT and a WR who has not yet caught a pass in college. Meh.

My mistake, Jones had 7 receptions in 2022.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

25 minutes ago, BrowardBull17 said:

Matthew Hill disagrees with you. 

HE had to beat out some of our starters to play here. I am not saying he is great.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

A third string OT and a WR who has not yet caught a pass in college. Meh.

He caught 7 passes at Baylor and he was just getting started.  He has 3 years of eligibility left.  He had a good offer list out of HS.  Texas A&M, TCU, Utah.  So a guy offered by Texas A&M is meh.  The guy has legitimate talent, otherwise he wouldn't have been offered by an SEC, Big 12, and Pac 12 school.

He has 4.47 speed, which is good and more than adequate for what we need.  He can move.

11558413.jpg

Jones becomes the fourth new addition to USF's wide receiver room.

16 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

He caught 7 passes at Baylor and he was just getting started.  He has 3 years of eligibility left.  He had a good offer list out of HS.  Texas A&M, TCU, Utah.  So a guy offered by Texas A&M is meh.  The guy has legitimate talent, otherwise he wouldn't have been offered by an SEC, Big 12, and Pac 12 school.

He has 4.47 speed, which is good and more than adequate for what we need.  He can move.

11558413.jpg

Jones becomes the fourth new addition to USF's wide receiver room.

Yep, he’s meh at this point with 7 receptions in 8 career games, but that doesn’t mean he’ll always be. Wouldn’t you rather be signing a guy from another school who’s like Jimmy Horn or Xavier Weaver and has already proven on the collegiate level? That would be not “meh”

What has Yusuf Terry done at USF. Nada. How about Khafre Brown of the 4.4 speed? Meh. Time will tell, but an unproven WR and a 3rd string OT are “meh” until proven otherwise. Give me a WR from Baylor or Tennessee or wherever who has 50-70 catches to his credit and I’ll be much more fired up. Give me a guy like Ryan O’Keefe who left UCF and transferred to BC.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,046
  • Days Won:  10

9 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Yep, he’s meh at this point, but that doesn’t mean he’ll always be. Wouldn’t you rather be signing a guy from another school who’s like Jimmy Horn or Xavier Weaver and has already proven on the collegiate level? That would be not “meh”

Most of the players we have gotten so far through the transfer portal don't have great stats. Many have barely played. Time will tell, whether they will work out; and hopefully they can deliver for USF. Right now getting new players in is important, and I'll take 2nd or 3rd string players from power 5 schools. At some point though I will expect coach Golesh to turn a rabbit out of his head, and get someone who is proven as we did last year with Bohanon who had been a starter at a p5 school. 

Edited by belgianbull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

10 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Yep, he’s meh at this point with 7 receptions in 8 career games, but that doesn’t mean he’ll always be. Wouldn’t you rather be signing a guy from another school who’s like Jimmy Horn or Xavier Weaver and has already proven on the collegiate level? That would be not “meh”

What has Yusuf Terry done at USF. Nada. How about Khafre Brown of the 4.4 speed? Meh. Time will tell, but an unproven WR and a 3rd string OT are “meh” until proven otherwise. Give me a WR from Baylor or Tennessee or wherever who has 50-70 catches to his credit and I’ll be much more fired up. Give me a guy like Ryan O’Keefe who left UCF and transferred to BC.

Khafre Brown has been injured so we can't really tell yet what he will be.  Terry, I agree has been a bust so far.  I don't know but maybe Baylor had a better group of WR's than we did, and that's why he only had 7 catches during his redshirt freshman year.  Maybe he couldn't get past more established guys in the system.  Sometimes it's hard to break through, but he could legitimately have the same talent as Horn and Weaver, since he was offered by an SEC, B12, and Pac 12 school.  They don't usually offer scrubs, he has some ability. 

Take a look at our hoops team as an example. Tyler Harris, Selton Miguel and Keyshawn Bryant have been instant impact guys for that team. Why? Because they’ve already proven they can play at this level. Two of them are 1,000-point scorers. Plucking a backup guy who’s done nothing at a P5 doesn’t light the fire. We can cross our fingers and hope they develop, but we could use a few guys who have already done it at this level if we want to shorten the timeline to turn this around.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

3 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Khafre Brown has been injured so we can't really tell yet what he will be.  Terry, I agree has been a bust so far.  I don't know but maybe Baylor had a better group of WR's than we did, and that's why he only had 7 catches during his redshirt freshman year.  Maybe he couldn't get past more established guys in the system.  Sometimes it's hard to break through, but he could legitimately have the same talent as Horn and Weaver, since he was offered by an SEC, B12, and Pac 12 school.  They don't usually offer scrubs, he has some ability. 

PLENTY of over-recruited scrubs at P5 schools - PLENTY. Listen, I want them to be great, too, but at this point, how can we get excited about any of these guys until we see them produce?

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,046
  • Days Won:  10

7 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

PLENTY of over-recruited scrubs at P5 schools - PLENTY. Listen, I want them to be great, too, but at this point, how can we get excited about any of these guys until we see them produce?

I rather get a player who was a starter and produced decent stats at a Sun Belt or Conference USA team versus someone who was a 3rd string at a Power 5 team. Are we even going for these players?

It is still early and still a lot of recruiting to be done but so far the recruiting  is very similar or even worse then Scott. Especially if you take into account the players we are losing to other teams through the transfer portal like Battie and Weaver. 

However, the hope is that Golesh can coach these guys up and have us relevant again sooner then later.

• Upvote 1