• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

you really don't need to defend Leavitt's legacy by tearing down Taggart

It is possible and a fact that they were both good for us

Can also argue that Holtz did some good for USF. He beat Clemson, Notre Dame Miami. Won the Mieneke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte. 

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459
  • Days Won:  0

I think the point about Judy being a key donor is relevant.  But how many bigger donors has USF lost cow-towing to Judy? 

The problem is this program is in the gutter.  It is going to take a lot to resurrect it too.  What name do the Bulls pick up that is going to inject any life into this program?  They still play on Dale Mabry and a lot of the plans outlined require vision, money and on-field success.  Next year's AAC looks like a 6A Florida HS slate...and USF probably still won't win more than 2-3 games.

Leavitt probably wouldn't take the job if offered and USF is so stubborn they won't offer.  Sad for each as it is probably the only thing that breaks the Indian Burial ground curse.  But they'll take another run at some ACC or SEC also-ran and we'll be at the same place in 3 seasons with no OCS, an AAC losing record and less fans than a WNBA game.

Meanwhile, UCF is eating USF's lunch.  Malzahn seems like a legit long-term option for that team (has said multiple times his last coaching stop) and I see no reason things don't further improve for them with a Big12 conference home.  They certainly will out-recruit USF for years to come.  They have everything right now that we probably want and they did some bold things in the past to achieve them (certainly a few a little sketchy).

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488

The only coach to truly and passionately care for this program.  Everyone else will use/have used South Florida as a stepping stone…to greener pastures and in many cases to a coaches’ graveyard.

He doesn’t want to come back even if admin begs him…I hope he proves me wrong.

Edited by Supersurch

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

12 minutes ago, puc86 said:

First part sure, but we were a defense first ball control team (almost as if one was an LB and the other a QB) the second one not so much

Year Round Pick Overall Player Team Position
2001 4 1 96 Kenyatta Jones New England Patriots DT
4 2 97 Anthony Henry Cleveland Browns DB
4 3 98 Bill Gramatica Arizona Cardinals K
2003 2 15 47 Kawika Mitchell Kansas City Chiefs LB
4 32 129 Shurron Pierson Oakland Raiders DE
7 39 253 DeAndrew Rubin Green Bay Packers WR
2004 4 33 129 J. R. Reed Philadelphia Eagles DB
2007 4 10 109 Stephen Nicholas Atlanta Falcons LB
2008 1 25 25 Mike Jenkins Dallas Cowboys DB
5 24 159 Trae Williams Jacksonville Jaguars DB
2009 3 33 97 Tyrone McKenzie New England Patriots LB
2010 1 15 15 Jason Pierre-Paul New York Giants DE
2 5 37 Nate Allen Philadelphia Eagles DB
3 1 65 Jerome Murphy St. Louis Rams DB
6 8 177 Carlton Mitchell Cleveland Browns WR
7 19 226 George Selvie St. Louis Rams DE
2011 3 1 65 Terrell McClain Carolina Panthers DT
6 5 170 Mistral Raymond Minnesota Vikings DB
6 37 202 Jacquian Williams New York Giants LB
2013 3 26 90 Kayvon Webster Denver Broncos DB
7 26 232 Sam Barrington Green Bay Packers LB
7 31 237 B. J. Daniels San Francisco 49ers QB
2014 5 10 150 Aaron Lynch San Francisco 49ers LB
2015 6 35 211 Reshard Cliett Houston Texans LB
7 5 222 Austin Reiter Washington Redskins C
2017 4 36 143 Marlon Mack Indianapolis Colts RB
5 26 170 Rodney Adams Minnesota Vikings WR
6 28 212 Kofi Amichia Green Bay Packers T
2018 3 26 90 Deadrin Senat Atlanta Falcons DT
5 37 174 Marquez Valdes-Scantling Green Bay Packers WR

Didn't say draft picks but they are probably pretty close. just refuting your point that Taggart didn't do anything as well as or better than Leavitt.

Mike White, Mitchel Wilcox, D'Earnest Johnson all hanging around the league

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

15 hours ago, Johaan said:

Not against the idea, the program has never been the same (or as fun) since his dismissal ... but how many years do we think he has left in the tank? He was still in his early 50s when the poop went down. 

Given our coaching carousel it might not matter, I'd be happy for a string of a few good (or at least entertaining) years. Would be interesting if nothing else. 

15 hours ago, dausfbulls11 said:

And bring in former players currently coaching….Verpaele, mompremier, cedric hill, larry scott, marquel, , to name a few to be able to take over after 3-4 years

This would be extremely similar to the Buccaneers pulling Bruce Arians out of retirement and building a staff, with the goal to retire and hand off to a new HC on staff and keep staff together.

Hiring CJL would also do wonders to establish the OCS.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

10 minutes ago, Bull Awakening said:

Can also argue that Holtz did some good for USF. He beat Clemson, Notre Dame Miami. Won the Mieneke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte. 

It is an argument I now subscribe to but at least it is a reasonable argument that I can understand both sides but comparing CWT to CJL makes about as much sense as comparing CJS' potential to CJL's because there is no math anyone can use no matter how hard they try to conveniently select their measurables. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

14 minutes ago, Bull Awakening said:

sure why not

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

10 minutes ago, USFreak said:

I think the point about Judy being a key donor is relevant.  But how many bigger donors has USF lost cow-towing to Judy? 

The problem is this program is in the gutter.  It is going to take a lot to resurrect it too.  What name do the Bulls pick up that is going to inject any life into this program?  They still play on Dale Mabry and a lot of the plans outlined require vision, money and on-field success.  Next year's AAC looks like a 6A Florida HS slate...and USF probably still won't win more than 2-3 games.

Leavitt probably wouldn't take the job if offered and USF is so stubborn they won't offer.  Sad for each as it is probably the only thing that breaks the Indian Burial ground curse.  But they'll take another run at some ACC or SEC also-ran and we'll be at the same place in 3 seasons with no OCS, an AAC losing record and less fans than a WNBA game.

Meanwhile, UCF is eating USF's lunch.  Malzahn seems like a legit long-term option for that team (has said multiple times his last coaching stop) and I see no reason things don't further improve for them with a Big12 conference home.  They certainly will out-recruit USF for years to come.  They have everything right now that we probably want and they did some bold things in the past to achieve them (certainly a few a little sketchy).

Well said. The good news is Leavitt was able to help USF out perform UCF when we started the program in 1997. Sure UCF had the head start but USF made up ground and became a threat to UCF which is why they hate USF so much while we honestly never gave a **** about UCF. I am counting on USF hitting a home run with the new hire and we will eventually end up in the ACC with a great OCS. That is my positive outlook 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

5 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Didn't say draft picks but they are probably pretty close. just refuting your point that Taggart didn't do anything as well as or better than Leavitt.

Mike White, Mitchel Wilcox, D'Earnest Johnson all hanging around the league

k

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459

2 minutes ago, Bull Awakening said:

Well said. The good news is Leavitt was able to help USF out perform UCF when we started the program in 1997. Sure UCF had the head start but USF made up ground and became a threat to UCF which is why they hate USF so much while we honestly never gave a **** about UCF. I am counting on USF hitting a home run with the new hire and we will eventually end up in the ACC with a great OCS. That is my positive outlook 

The problem is USF never gets an OCS if they keep running in place.  There is about as much excitement for this program as an upcoming colonoscopy.  Nobody attends the games and I don't think anybody with lined pockets wants to cough up any real money for this boat anchor of a program.