• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who gets fired first - Coach Gregory or Coach Scott?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

35 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

This thread title should change to who gets the extension first?

But that would require us to know who the next MBB and FB coaches are going to be because I don't think CBG or CJS get another extension.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

8 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

But that would require us to know who the next MBB and FB coaches are going to be because I don't think CBG or CJS get another extension.

You say that but they both them this offseason. If there is one thing AD Mk values it is stability and winning is not high enough on his requirements of earning an extension. It is better to lose more today  and have the same coach promise a better tomorrow then fire a failing coach and bring in a new coach.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103

8 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Dude, your obvious misconception, based on the stuff I highlighted, is that an IPF is used for all practices. They're not ..... You're either trolling or clueless.

Thanks for the insult (clueless).  I'm sure my years of playing collegiate and professional football did nothing to prepare me this discussion while your endless hours of Madden NFL have prepared you to dictate on high about what you think is right and who is right (mainly you apparently).

One of the biggest complaints I've heard about IPFs from people that USE THEM (not counting players here) is "I wish we would have made it bigger, I wish we would have done this, I wish we would have done that".  Why?  "Because we're using it far more than we ever thought we would."  Hmmmmmmm.  Think any of those upsets or close games around the country had anything to with some teams being a little more prepared for the elements, the heat, the "X" factor?  Maybe even just 1?  What do you do if you find out that Howard doesn't even have an IPF (I don't know) and here they practically embarrassed us?  Every coach I have ever played for has said some version of EVERYTHING MATTERS.

Of course schools use IPFs and practice outside too.  It's not all or none.  Of course they have days with pads on and days with pads off.  Of course there are days when ALL THEY DO IS CONDITIONING DRILLS because they were dogging it in the 4th quarter.  We simulated 4 straight quarters of no huddle offense once OUTSIDE so the coaches on both sides could evaluate it.  If we did it inside an IPF it would have been a waste of time unless we were playing someone in a dome or fair conditions (but it was hot).

When I hang out at some buddies houses or have them down to Florida one thing that comes up from some of the older guys when we're watching games is "You just don't see as many guys with bare arms when it's cold anymore".  They wore that like a badge of honor (not me).  Zero degrees and it's trying to snow (hard to snow at that temp we found out) and some of these guys didn't have on any cold weather gear.  I have no data to support this theory, just the comments of former NFL players, but if fewer guys are able to handle the cold like they use to be it probably comes down to practicing indoors and not being prepared for it.  Again, I'm just going by what guys who were there say.  Of course, you've always got your "little highlighter" so you can prove me wrong.

And for what it's worth, I pretty much always wore cold weather gear when it was below freezing.  It did affect me.  I guess you can call me a sissy and maybe I was.  But I'm sure you toughed it out playing in the snow on Madden NFL.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  187

For me it seems like a simple answer. I think we’ve all heard the saying sometimes it’s not the X & O’s it’s the Jimmy’s and Joe’s.

But I believe that great coaching is as a big part of winning as having is great players is , maybe bigger.

if a good coach takes over a bad team in three years they should have a good team

if  a great coach takes over a bad team in three years thay would be great

If a bad coach takes over a great team in three years they will be bad just look at Charlie Strong or Skip

after three years if there’s not improvement that falls on the leadership “coaching “. In the  case of the basketball program & the football program at USF It’s clear progress Is not being made 

We’re only in  week two so if miraculously Jeff Scott & this team turns it around in I would be the first to be excited . But I don’t see that happening

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, BullShirt said:

Thanks for the insult (clueless).  I'm sure my years of playing collegiate and professional football did nothing to prepare me this discussion while your endless hours of Madden NFL have prepared you to dictate on high about what you think is right and who is right (mainly you apparently).

One of the biggest complaints I've heard about IPFs from people that USE THEM (not counting players here) is "I wish we would have made it bigger, I wish we would have done this, I wish we would have done that".  Why?  "Because we're using it far more than we ever thought we would."  Hmmmmmmm.  Think any of those upsets or close games around the country had anything to with some teams being a little more prepared for the elements, the heat, the "X" factor?  Maybe even just 1?  What do you do if you find out that Howard doesn't even have an IPF (I don't know) and here they practically embarrassed us?  Every coach I have ever played for has said some version of EVERYTHING MATTERS.

Of course schools use IPFs and practice outside too.  It's not all or none.  Of course they have days with pads on and days with pads off.  Of course there are days when ALL THEY DO IS CONDITIONING DRILLS because they were dogging it in the 4th quarter.  We simulated 4 straight quarters of no huddle offense once OUTSIDE so the coaches on both sides could evaluate it.  If we did it inside an IPF it would have been a waste of time unless we were playing someone in a dome or fair conditions (but it was hot).

When I hang out at some buddies houses or have them down to Florida one thing that comes up from some of the older guys when we're watching games is "You just don't see as many guys with bare arms when it's cold anymore".  They wore that like a badge of honor (not me).  Zero degrees and it's trying to snow (hard to snow at that temp we found out) and some of these guys didn't have on any cold weather gear.  I have no data to support this theory, just the comments of former NFL players, but if fewer guys are able to handle the cold like they use to be it probably comes down to practicing indoors and not being prepared for it.  Again, I'm just going by what guys who were there say.  Of course, you've always got your "little highlighter" so you can prove me wrong.

And for what it's worth, I pretty much always wore cold weather gear when it was below freezing.  It did affect me.  I guess you can call me a sissy and maybe I was.  But I'm sure you toughed it out playing in the snow on Madden NFL.

Based from your college and pro experience why is CJS failing at running the team, having a offense that scores a lot with a passing attack (his "strength"), or having average defense? I want to know what you see wrong as a guy with a lot of experience here . You obviously know more than most  including me, if you played college and pro football. I am not trying to attack but hear your opinion.  We need more players with experience in the college and nfl ranks helping this team.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

4 hours ago, BullShirt said:

I don't know where you played and am not challenging your knowledge in general. If you are a Bulls fan you may know that last season, in particular, they lost a lot of practice time overall due to lightning.  For example, practice is scheduled for 8am (pick a time it doesn't matter too much).  Storms roll through, guys have to get off the field. By time it is safe the guys have to be in classes. A whole day's worth of practice is missed. Happened too many times last year. Whether this will "soften" guys is up for debate. I don't know. But an IPF is critical in our area just because of the lightning. My guess is that practice time inside is better than no practice time.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

5 hours ago, BullShirt said:

if you're not trolling then I'll just assume that you played before IPFs were a thing and really aren't familiar with how they're used (that sounds better than "clueless" which I was wrong for using) ...... and it's been years since I've played Madden and had no idea that they've actually incorporated practice days into it. That's pretty cool.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I will say this again. If either coach is fired this or next season, the VPoA needs to immediately resign. IMMEDIATELY 

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

1 hour ago, DELdaBull said:

I will say this again. If either coach is fired this or next season, the VPoA needs to immediately resign. IMMEDIATELY 

Don’t worry I believe both coaches will be safe these next few seasons. If they don’t turn things around by 2024 then we may see some changes. Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

On 9/11/2022 at 7:31 AM, BullShirt said:

I meant to post this before the BYU game but didn’t get around to it.  Both coaches seem unable to turn their programs around.  Both got extensions to the surprise of most fans.  And neither one has really landed a recruit that could really “move the needle” so to speak.  I’m not counting the transfer portal on this one as I think recruiting is more important to long term success than working the portal.

And just to “make things fair” since football season will mostly be over by the time basketball gets up and running, l’ll handicap this by saying “how far into their respective seasons will they be”?

For example, Coach Scott is roughly 20% into his season so game 6 or 7 would be around the same point in Coach Gregory’s season.  Obviously CG has been here longer but I’m saying from this point forward.

To make things interesting is “the tweet” referenced elsewhere on this site that “may” indicate things are not good in the football locker room right now while we know based on the Coach Antigua firing USF is more than willing to fire a basketball coach fairly early in a season.

Any thoughts on this?  I think Gregory goes first.  If an OCS is going to move forward I don’t think “the powers that be” want to get distracted with a coaching search too.  Just my 2 cents.

whoever is owed less money gets fired first