• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who gets fired first - Coach Gregory or Coach Scott?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

I meant to post this before the BYU game but didn’t get around to it.  Both coaches seem unable to turn their programs around.  Both got extensions to the surprise of most fans.  And neither one has really landed a recruit that could really “move the needle” so to speak.  I’m not counting the transfer portal on this one as I think recruiting is more important to long term success than working the portal.

And just to “make things fair” since football season will mostly be over by the time basketball gets up and running, l’ll handicap this by saying “how far into their respective seasons will they be”?

For example, Coach Scott is roughly 20% into his season so game 6 or 7 would be around the same point in Coach Gregory’s season.  Obviously CG has been here longer but I’m saying from this point forward.

To make things interesting is “the tweet” referenced elsewhere on this site that “may” indicate things are not good in the football locker room right now while we know based on the Coach Antigua firing USF is more than willing to fire a basketball coach fairly early in a season.

Any thoughts on this?  I think Gregory goes first.  If an OCS is going to move forward I don’t think “the powers that be” want to get distracted with a coaching search too.  Just my 2 cents.

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

I would think Scott gets canned first if we show no improvement. If we can’t get past 4 wins, I am not so sure he will survive. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,835
  • Content Count:  5,483
  • Days Won:  13

8 minutes ago, bulls phanatic said:

I would think Scott gets canned first if we show no improvement. If we can’t get past 4 wins, I am not so sure he will survive. 

While message board and Twitter people will use wins as a measuring stick... what it comes down to, really, is whether keeping Scott will cost more than firing Scott.  By that I mean, if VPMK comes out and gives Scott another year, how many donors and season ticket holders walk away... and does that threaten the fundraising goals for the OCS and the master plan -- which threatens the chances of USF being on the "right side" of the divide coming in D1 football?

I heard a rumor that Nebraska has something like $50 or $60 million in pledges to fire Scott Frost... USF doesn't have those deep pockets.

The internet denizens clamoring for his termination now need to be asked: Will you pledge to double whatever you're giving USF if they fire Coach Scott? Will you donate to the annual fund to cover the cost of buying out the contracts of Scott and his coaching staff?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  121

I actually think Brian Gregory will have a decent season this year. We have a pretty good starting lineup and depth has been improved.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,470
  • Days Won:  43

Just now, Rob-Bull said:

I actually think Brian Gregory will have a decent season this year. We have a pretty good starting lineup and depth has been improved.

Hope so. Love college basketball so it is about time for USF to start winning 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118

6 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

While message board and Twitter people will use wins as a measuring stick... what it comes down to, really, is whether keeping Scott will cost more than firing Scott.  By that I mean, if VPMK comes out and gives Scott another year, how many donors and season ticket holders walk away... and does that threaten the fundraising goals for the OCS and the master plan -- which threatens the chances of USF being on the "right side" of the divide coming in D1 football?

I heard a rumor that Nebraska has something like $50 or $60 million in pledges to fire Scott Frost... USF doesn't have those deep pockets.

The internet denizens clamoring for his termination now need to be asked: Will you pledge to double whatever you're giving USF if they fire Coach Scott? Will you donate to the annual fund to cover the cost of buying out the contracts of Scott and his coaching staff?

THIS. First of all, now way CJS gets fired in season but second, Jim asks a way better poll question- are you doubling your gift if he gets fired? Are you contributing to the buyout? Or are you just trying to play Madden in real life? 

I’m invested in my kid’s schools - I don’t express to the principal when it is time to fire a teacher. I pay taxes for the good of my community. I don’t tell the county to fire the people in long range planning when they don’t get it right. 

These countless fire somebody threads are ridiculous. We are all frustrated- So is CJS and VPMK and CBG. Go for a run, spend time with your kids - take your frustrations out in a productive manner. 

To clarify - this group or twitter or whatever being LOUD does not solve a single problem. And no it doesn’t make you a better fan or show you care about your team. If you want to make those decisions pursue that career path and become a VP of athletics so fans with a keyboard who posses less knowledge than you can tell you that you are doing it wrong. 

To the OP - I apologize as this post isn’t even directed at you. Just happened to be the latest one I read. I hope your poll gives you the results you desire. 

10 minutes ago, jjlovecub said:

THIS. First of all, now way CJS gets fired in season but second, Jim asks a way better poll question- are you doubling your gift if he gets fired? Are you contributing to the buyout? Or are you just trying to play Madden in real life? 

I’m invested in my kid’s schools - I don’t express to the principal when it is time to fire a teacher. I pay taxes for the good of my community. I don’t tell the county to fire the people in long range planning when they don’t get it right. 

These countless fire somebody threads are ridiculous. We are all frustrated- So is CJS and VPMK and CBG. Go for a run, spend time with your kids - take your frustrations out in a productive manner. 

To clarify - this group or twitter or whatever being LOUD does not solve a single problem. And no it doesn’t make you a better fan or show you care about your team. If you want to make those decisions pursue that career path and become a VP of athletics so fans with a keyboard who posses less knowledge than you can tell you that you are doing it wrong. 

To the OP - I apologize as this post isn’t even directed at you. Just happened to be the latest one I read. I hope your poll gives you the results you desire. 

No offense taken but I did play football at a big school in a big conference.  Got to play in some bowl games too.  Then I was blessed to play professionally for a few years so I have a perspective that most on here don’t have.  Plus I have a nephew that coaches college basketball.  He’s given me a lot of perspective on the basketball side of things.

• Go Bulls! 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,067
  • Days Won:  469

No offense, but I just don’t see the sense or thought in asking that kind of question.  Humor? Cynicism? 

21 minutes ago, Brad said:

No offense, but I just don’t see the sense or thought in asking that kind of question.  Humor? Cynicism? 

Goes to state of mind your honor.  The fan base is fed up.  In my opinion the administration knows they are going to have to make a move to show that they at least care, are doing something and most importantly to save their (his) own job.  No one goes to BB games anymore, FB is trending that way, fans are desperate for an OCS hoping that will make things better and worst of all USF athletics is in danger of falling into apathy.

Like Anthony (?) said in Draft Day, sometimes you gotta make splash.  Right or wrong a fire and hire is about the only option left at this point.

Sports is business even at the college level.  Results and lack Thereof have consequences.  Success usually means more money, contract extensions,etc.  Failure usually means getting fired (or an extension at USF apparently).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brad said:

Reality.