• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jeff Scott and the 2021-2023 Recruiting Philosophy (Interesting perspective)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,555
  • Days Won:  28

Burning some midnight oil and took a little break and found this little gem. This is a nice write up regarding CJS Recruiting. This was from @USFBulls27 on the 247 board. 

default.png

Jeff Scott and the 2021-2023 Recruiting Philosophy

• Steeglife
    Posted on Aug 2nd, 1:56 PM, , User Since 31 months ago, User Post Count: 183
    • Aug 2nd, 1:56 PM
    • 31 months

Courtesy of @USFBulls27, i wanted to make a separate thread (rather than giving that other mid florida dude some pop) to discuss Jeff Scott's recruiting strategy the last few years.

Entering USF in the December of 2019 [delayed start due to Clemson's CFP appearance] Jeff Scott took the traditional route of trying to close the gaps where he could with the class of 2020, which included players like Katravis March, Omarion Dollison, Tramel Logan, and Brian Battie. Jeff Scott has mentioned that he didn't watch film of the previous year, but i think he could still tell the cupboards were pretty barren of talent and size, so he went out and picked up some transfers who had at least some college football experience. Guys like Thad Mangum, Cade Fortin, Mitchell Brinkman, and Noah Johnson came in and were able to contribute right away (albeit, performance was lacking for some of the transfers), but having at least some size and experience helped USF bridge the gap in that 2020 COVID season. Overall, of that 2020 bridge class that included 15 enrollees and 12 transfers, we have four guys who never even put on a USF football uniform (Devin Gil, Bo Peek, Levontae Valentine, and Sione Tuitupou), and a vast majority of this class has never even taken a meaningful snap for USF. The only ones who i would consider to be meaningful contributors are Katravis Marsh, Brian Battie, Omarion Dollison, Tramel Logan, Chris Townsel, and Holden Willis from the traditional route (6/15 or 40%). From the transfer route, you had TJ Robinson, Mitchell Brinkman, Cade Fortin, Demontrey Jacobs, Noah Johnson, and Jared Sackett (6/12 or 50%)

Entering the 2021 cycle, you had CJS take a more traditional recruiting class, 18 enrollees from HS or JUCO, and 9 transfers. The cupboard is at least a little less barren, but CJS was able to hit some homeruns in this class out of High school with Timmy McClain, Jimmy Horn, Keeon Terrell, and Andrew Stokes who have all contributed mightily in their first season. From the Transfer route, you had Jaren Mangham, Yusuf Terry, Christian Williams, Matthew Hill, and Timarcus Simpson all come in right away and put a lot of minutes on the board. Since the high school class were true freshmen vs players with D1 experience coming in as transfers, it's not fair to compare apples to oranges there, but you were able to get more snaps and playing time out of the 8 transfers sans Xander Yarberough (7/8 transfers played meaningful snaps for USF last year, Will Jones injured in pre-season) vs 4 of the 17 true freshmen playing last year (K'Wan Powell injured in pre-season). Most D1 staffs would feel more comfortable throwing out a D1 transfer into the game rather than a true freshmen, so it's something to consider as CJS and company load up on their roster.

The overarching decision for Coach Scott and his recruiting philosophy going through this year and next year is scholarship management. You could have upwards of 16 open scholarships going into next season, 10 graduate players who are absolutely done after this year and 6 seniors who could have one more year left should they get it approved Then of course you'll have attrition via transfers (but that's a separate discussion), that's only 16 guaranteed scholarships to utilize this recruiting cycle (with some wiggle room to get to 85 scholarship players in 2023). With 2 (soon to be 3) scholarships already taken by HS players, you really can't be caught with your pants down here and the staff knows that. 13 slots with a bevy of high school talent available, and plenty of transfer portal talent that could potentially come available. The first date players can lock in their NLI is in december, so if USF is full and has all 10 scholarships taken, it won't allow the staff any flexibility to take transfers or any last minute players that could be available.

It was brought up recently, but getting a guy like Michael Williams on the last day of this most recent recruiting cycle was an absolute steal. He was one of the best players on a dominant West Bloomfield program and was a mere 2 sacks away from getting a state record in sacks recorded. You were also able to get DeAunte Hunter and Jackson Long (who are all rated about an 86 on 247) on the homestretch. If USF had filled up their class with middling low-three star guys, they wouldn't have been able to score these three diamonds in the rough (pending performance).

What i'm getting at is this: depending on your current program's status, you have to play to your strengths rather than the perceived notion. UCF is able to recruit these big name prospects because of their status going into the Big12 and Gus's recruiting methodology to get these guys locked in early. CJS and USF, being in a less talented G5 conference, feels comfortable playing the slow game, waiting for guys like Michael Williams and Jackson Long to slip through the P5 grasps due to their scholarship mishandlings, and lock in USF as a rebound play when a guy eventually doesn't get what they want out of a P5 program (i.e. Clyde Pinder).

Edited by Gatorbull325
  • Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,885
  • Days Won:  67

I won’t challenge any of this however his decision not to watch any of the prior years tape of a team he is inheriting is either stupid or lazy IMO.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,529
  • Days Won:  25

16 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I won’t challenge any of this however his decision not to watch any of the prior years tape of a team he is inheriting is either stupid or lazy IMO.

He was busy being co-oc and not calling plays . Seriously though I agree but maybe he thought he was good at evaluating  talent. I mean he has admitted he was not fully prepared for the first two years . Sadly Frisco all we can do is rely on Gerry B, the new DC, the new OC,  Chad Morris to help build an offense with trickett and Scott, and Jeff Scott to maybe figure it out and become a decent coach. The recruits and transfers have slightly improved from year one but under Jeff Scott we have zero clues and one piece of evidence how that translates on the fbs field. We have a coach with a country club extension and has not proven anything in two years. Gator believes he is the guy and let's hope he is right . If he doesn't go .500 this year I say give Morris the coaching job at least he can run a team that scores in the AAC.

Edited by Outlaw

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

He was busy being co-oc and not calling plays . Seriously though I agree but maybe he thought he was good at evaluating  talent. I mean he has admitted he was not fully prepared for the first two years . Sadly Frisco all we can do is rely on Gerry B, the new DC, the new OC,  Chad Morris to help build an offense with trickett and Scott, and Jeff Scott to maybe figure it out and become a decent coach. The recruits and transfers have slightly improved from year one but under Jeff Scott we have zero clues and one piece of evidence how that translates on the fbs field. We have a coach with a country club extension and has not proven anything in two years. Gator believes he is the guy and let's hope he is right . If he doesn't go .500 this year I say give Morris the coaching job at least he can run a team that scores in the AAC.

We have discussed it before but has anyone ever pressed him on it.  Everyone of us believes they can evaluate talent but the best way to evaluate talent is in a live game not in a weight room or in pads and shorts.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

4 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

We have discussed it before but has anyone ever pressed him on it.  Everyone of us believes they can evaluate talent but the best way to evaluate talent is in a live game not in a weight room or in pads and shorts.

How many of “us” make a living evaluating football talent and translating that to game day? On the same note, some of the best evaluators in the game believe CJS has all the tools to be successful here at USF. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

How many of “us” make a living evaluating football talent and translating that to game day? On the same note, some of the best evaluators in the game believe CJS has all the tools to be successful here at USF. 

Not me, we all have beliefs.  CJS is a member of a tight knit group where most will back each other.  I hope this guy gets it rolling, no other options for now.