• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

21 hours ago, Brad said:

I probably didn't ask that right.  Why do we think we're a top pick when there are plenty of P5 teams out there?  The GOR?  Ultimately the Big 12 and ACC should combine top teams and spit out the rest.

we arent the top pick

we will end up in the left over conference which is still better than aac

we will be the fill in if orlando leaves for acc

if big ten got bold and smart they would steal orlando and invite usf and lock up i 4 and put a florida school in each division

the tampa/orlando market is far bigger together than either individually as you cover each side of the state

Edited by smazza
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  2,983
  • Days Won:  2

Saw this on another board and it is old (from 2022) but the B1G commish at that time told Brett about six schools that we're being considered aside from ND.  Today, two are already in the BIG, and the other four are in the ACC or moving to the ACC.  FSU is one that the B1G thought would add value.  

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,845
  • Days Won:  22

46 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

Saw this on another board and it is old (from 2022) but the B1G commish at that time told Brett about six schools that we're being considered aside from ND.  Today, two are already in the BIG, and the other four are in the ACC or moving to the ACC.  FSU is one that the B1G thought would add value.  

I think for the BigTen there are really 4 schools that they are attracted to from ACC

FSU,Miami, UNC and Virginia

For the SEC: UNC and Virginia are main two

In both cases they add schools in new territory. For SEC two new states and the flagships of each state. For BigTen 4 schools in new territory with the academics

Big notice that Clemson doesn’t really look like a target for either. At the end I think we  see SEC and BigTen each take two. More likely FSU/ Miami to BigT3n and UNC/ UVA to SEC

For the ACC the big part will be forcing those four on big enough exit fees and keeping ESPN contract intact. If they achieve those two, then it makes it unprofitable for the rest to go look at Big12.

The Big12 with their GOR and teams not attractive to SEC or BigTen will stay as is.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

8 hours ago, Roaming Bull said:

Have they tried joining the Canadian football league? They might find a future there

That would be cool. My favorite pro football league! If only they could get in.

conan obrien conan25 GIF by Team Coco

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  2,983
  • Days Won:  2

3 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

I think for the BigTen there are really 4 schools that they are attracted to from ACC

FSU,Miami, UNC and Virginia

For the SEC: UNC and Virginia are main two

In both cases they add schools in new territory. For SEC two new states and the flagships of each state. For BigTen 4 schools in new territory with the academics

Big notice that Clemson doesn’t really look like a target for either. At the end I think we  see SEC and BigTen each take two. More likely FSU/ Miami to BigT3n and UNC/ UVA to SEC

For the ACC the big part will be forcing those four on big enough exit fees and keeping ESPN contract intact. If they achieve those two, then it makes it unprofitable for the rest to go look at Big12.

The Big12 with their GOR and teams not attractive to SEC or BigTen will stay as is.

It is exciting and I agree with the P2 looking first to add in new states.  But I've been surprised so many times recently in realignment with the B12 adding our rivals, SMU somehow attaining inclusion in the ACC, that I'm jaded.  My instinct is that realignment should work out with the P2 gaining FL and then we'll have opportunity.  But as politics seems to play a part (messes it up for us), I could totally see us being left out again.  

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

On 12/29/2023 at 10:51 AM, Brad said:

I probably didn't ask that right.  Why do we think we're a top pick when there are plenty of P5 teams out there?  The GOR?  Ultimately the Big 12 and ACC should combine top teams and spit out the rest.

The Big 12 GOR is virtually identical to the ACC GOR... the big difference that we know today, the ACC media deal with ESPN only goes through 2027 while the Big 12 with Fox and ESPN goes through 2031.  So if FSU gets out of the GOR because of the 2027 date, that won't apply to the B12 teams.

The Big 12 also has a 99-year "membership agreement" that includes exit fees.  So any team leaving the Big 12 will be paying quite a bit to do so. 

So ... much like the ACC --> B12 argument.  Why would [INSERT TEAM HERE] pay $50-$100M in exit fees to move to a conference where the media rights are about the same as they get today?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,074
  • Days Won:  469

From "Blue Blood Bias"   :roflmao:

I really don't care what FSU does, but continuing to crumble CFB is probably a good thing.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,074
  • Days Won:  469

3 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

So ... much like the ACC --> B12 argument.  Why would [INSERT TEAM HERE] pay $50-$100M in exit fees to move to a conference where the media rights are about the same as they get today?

Good point.  If that's the case, perhaps no reason.  At the same time, teams change conferences all the time here lately.  If I was building a conference to last more than the next five years, I'd go for the best teams, not the ones in G5 waiting on a rescue plan.  Maybe it's time for the conferences to get more creative than the teams and build something competitive, not something that will soon be cherrypicked and decay.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

Just now, Brad said:

Good point.  If that's the case, perhaps no reason.  At the same time, teams change conferences all the time here lately.  If I was building a conference to last more than the next five years, I'd go for the best teams, not the ones in G5 waiting on a rescue plan.  Maybe it's time for the conferences to get more creative than the teams and build something competitive, not something that will soon be cherrypicked and decay.

Yes, but consider all of the Pac 12 teams had $0.00 in exit fees because their agreement was combined with the TV contracts.  SMU will have to pay something for leaving the ACC on one-year's notice (a slice of which will come to USF).  Texas and Oklahoma each paid $50 million to leave the Big 12 one year early.

So if you were building a conference to last more than five years, you can't forget about what it would take for those teams to be available to you.  WVU would probably love to be in the ACC, but considering they've had to cut some sports, it's not likely they would try to raise the money to pay the exit fees to join your new club.

• Like 1