• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  454
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, Triple B said:

Bigger crowds is certainly a tangible benefit for the school, more $, but how is bigger crowds a tangible benefit for a fan? Hell, the tangible effects on the fan of moving to a P5 is probably negative with higher ticket prices ....

Bigger crowds (and quality of opponent) is the difference between watching USF vs WVU in 2007 and watching USF vs Temple in 2023. If you know, you know (as I’m guessing you do)…it’s tangible. 

Fair with ticket prices but I’d donate an organ right about now for a rerun of the glory years.

Speaking of Michigan, I don’t watch any football outside of USF, but Joel Klatt shared a story about what happened after Michigan’s guard went down with the leg injury that’s worth a listen to. First :05 ish minutes of video. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

21 minutes ago, 00Bull said:

Bigger crowds (and quality of opponent) is the difference between watching USF vs WVU in 2007 and watching USF vs Temple in 2023. If you know, you know (as I’m guessing you do)…it’s tangible. 

Fair with ticket prices but I’d donate an organ right about now for a rerun of the glory years.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on the definition of tangible personal benefit ....... and I'd give one of your organs for that, too.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,125
  • Days Won:  6

11 hours ago, Friscobull said:

Most of us including you didn’t really even know what AAU was and now you guys would rather have this than multiple NY6 bowls and a P5 conference?  Absolutely outrageous mind boggling post, this helps some of us rationalize our years of shat performance, we all do what we can to cope I guess.

I love when people are ignorant to something and project it on to others.  "Hey I am too stupid to know about XYZ so you must be too" is really not the argument you think it it.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,916
  • Days Won:  67

9 minutes ago, MMW said:

I love when people are ignorant to something and project it on to others.  "Hey I am too stupid to know about XYZ so you must be too" is really not the argument you think it it.

I knew what it was from a post a few years back by NEB however didn’t find the value to exceed the benefit of a successful team playing better opponents.  Your take is either ignorant or disingenuous considering we are on a sports message board.  Get off your high horse and admit you are full of ****.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,125
  • Days Won:  6

16 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I knew what it was from a post a few years back by NEB however didn’t find the value to exceed the benefit of a successful team playing better opponents.  Your take is either ignorant or disingenuous considering we are on a sports message board.  Get off your high horse and admit you are full of ****.

I am on a sports message board but I am not an ingorant knucklehead.  I am the one advocating academics and student experience over P5 membership. 

You guys are chasing your tails.  USF will never be invited to the big boy table for football. They don't want us there, it is all about money and we are like Oliver with an empty bowl of mush asking for more.

There is a certain utility for having a football team at a college.  It is a fun activity for the students to get drunk at and stumble around at.  I went to Rutgers for my undergrad, we got killed every week but we didn't care.  It was some of my fondest memories tailgating on a fall day and comisserating with my friends.  I can't even tell you who we played.  The ivy league school's figured that out.

By and large the students don't care.  Only some of the people on message boards care.  Nobody in the real world pays any attention to conference realiment.  

My kids are in college now (UF/FSU) and the message is that they are preparing them to get jobs afterwards.  I had to explain to them what a conference was and which ones they were in - they still don't care. 

USF's AAU raises it's the academic prestige.  Gallagher called it "drive through U" back in the day.  That was funny but it significantly diminished the value a degree from USF. 

AAU status goes a long way in repairing that reputation.  There are only 69 members in that club.  It is a shorthand for saying - nope its a quality school.  You can bet your ass that FSU that is undefeated in football right now is kicking themselves.  We are in an enviable position.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

18 minutes ago, MMW said:

I am on a sports message board but I am not an ingorant knucklehead.  I am the one advocating academics and student experience over P5 membership. 

You guys are chasing your tails.  USF will never be invited to the big boy table for football. They don't want us there, it is all about money and we are like Oliver with an empty bowl of mush asking for more.

There is a certain utility for having a football team at a college.  It is a fun activity for the students to get drunk at and stumble around at.  I went to Rutgers for my undergrad, we got killed every week but we didn't care.  It was some of my fondest memories tailgating on a fall day and comisserating with my friends.  I can't even tell you who we played.  The ivy league school's figured that out.

By and large the students don't care.  Only some of the people on message boards care.  Nobody in the real world pays any attention to conference realiment.  

My kids are in college now (UF/FSU) and the message is that they are preparing them to get jobs afterwards.  I had to explain to them what a conference was and which ones they were in - they still don't care. 

USF's AAU raises it's the academic prestige.  Gallagher called it "drive through U" back in the day.  That was funny but it significantly diminished the value a degree from USF. 

AAU status goes a long way in repairing that reputation.  There are only 69 members in that club.  It is a shorthand for saying - nope its a quality school.  You can bet your ass that FSU that is undefeated in football right now is kicking themselves.  We are in an enviable position.

A lot to chew on with this conversation, haha. I’ll give it a go. 

from a real world perspective, I completely agree with you. A full college education is more than just a football team or just a degree. Going to a major university is about living in your own, learning about bills, balancing an education, being exposed to different cultures and people and their backgrounds, balancing social events, extracurricular activities and finding how you fit in and what you want to be. 

From a sports fan perspective, it’s all about competition and being the best of the best. In that light, what USF has done over the years is unacceptable; especially when you see schools that have both the education and sports scene nailed down (Mich, OSU, Stanford, Tx, UF, etc). 

Now, how those two are married is a grey area. During the mid 00’s, USF was getting incredible publicity and exposure that elevated it image in the general public’s eye (whether I was in Michigan or Ohio, people would comment on my USF gear, not anymore, unless they mistake us for UCF now). This exposure creates buzz and interest in the school which can have a positive impact on academics and student interest. If you a student that doesn’t care about sports, it doesn’t matter, but the majority of the USA, people at least have a casual interest in sports and would like to go to a school that they can cheer for. Now I am in the middle, I am proud of our academics/AAU, but am ashamed that we were in the BE now relegated to playing lesser opponents. I live in Michigan so my only “active” connection to USF is sports. Nobody up here cares about talking school academic rankings or what our average GPA or patents are. The real world is different for everybody. My employer doesn’t care about USF’s AAU membership, they just cares that our engineering program is ABET accredited. The difference between my degree from USF and Grand Valley State University (real school) is nothing. So I don’t think it’s fair to dismiss one or the other without considering different perspectives. Sports are a great way to feel connected and proud of your school that can create conversations with people who did go there, and it’s better to talk about a winner beating big name schools than a nobody, haha. 

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,916
  • Days Won:  67

51 minutes ago, MMW said:

Just got back from the gym and it appears you wrote a very lengthy yet informative post.  IMO the only area the AAU membership is important is the academic circles and I don’t mingle with that crowd so it means very little to myself, my employer, spouse, friends etc.. like Michibull said, my only real connection is sports and I simply want us to be better.  I will speak for all the ignorant knuckleheads out there, we would take success on the field over success in the classroom all day long.  It is  nice to have both but if they are mutually exclusive then just win baby!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MMW said:

Yeah I’m sure everyone at FSU wishes they were at USF. Your apparent dislike of football is clouding your ability to reason.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

13 minutes ago, 00Bull said:

Yeah I’m sure everyone at FSU wishes they were at USF. Your apparent dislike of football is clouding your ability to reason.

Not everyone but I’m sure some do wish they were at USF. Why you ask? Well for one they probably want to get to play in the game. Also Tampa Bay is a better place to live imo. I been to Tally and it is nice but it is no where near as special as Tampa Bay.