• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

3 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

I remain of the opinion that USF getting LUCKY in 2003 has made a lot USF fans delusional about USF's place in the world of college football.

Thanks! Very well said and I been trying to point this out to all those negative Nancies. They are coming off like spoiled brats to be honest. USF fans should remember the Ponderosa days. 

Edited by Bull Matrix

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  3,002
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, Jim Johnson said:

I remain of the opinion that USF getting LUCKY in 2003 has made a lot USF fans delusional about USF's place in the world of college football.

Well we had a decade of "good luck" playing in the Big East and now we've had another decade of "bad luck" here in a relegated conference.  When will it turn again?

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  416

5 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

One thing that might be of value to the PNW teams is that the AAC is the only conference that has shown upward mobility for their teams.  One thing that USF is counting on, I'm sure.  Who knows.  

But would that apply to the PNW schools? They were just in a P5 league. They're about as attractive as they'll ever be and no P4 league wanted them. If they join the AAC, they're in a league with schools in the southeast, a much more attractive spot for the next schools to get elevated from. They'd just be joining far flung schools with a better chance of leaving them than the MWC schools. They may be better off in a solid, stable MWC than an AAC that already took another bit and is at risk for more. They'd basically be flying cross country to play in CUSA if there are more defections.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

3 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

No matter how we got there we still got there and that doesn’t mean we have to be solely reliant on luck and repaying our karmic debt. We are allowed to try to move up or at least stop moving down by other’s mobility.

• Go Bulls! 1

3 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

But would that apply to the PNW schools? They were just in a P5 league. They're about as attractive as they'll ever be and no P4 league wanted them. If they join the AAC, they're in a league with schools in the southeast, a much more attractive spot for the next schools to get elevated from. They'd just be joining far flung schools with a better chance of leaving them than the MWC schools. They may be better off in a solid, stable MWC than an AAC that already took another bit and is at risk for more. They'd basically be flying cross country to play in CUSA if there are more defections.

Calford is going to be playing east coast teams.  Maybe they have hopes to be invited to the ACC in the distant future.  The MWC offers regionality, but conference realignment is not about that lately.  Must include that I have no idea what will happen.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if PNW teams join the MWC.  I can't control it.  

Edited by Cat941
ETA
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

6 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

Easy. I remember in the earlier years it was hard to find people wearing USF gear. There was no serious talks about an OCS. There was not huge IPF. Basically the media didn’t even mention USF. Even when USF only won 4 games in 3 seasons their attendance is not that bad. USF has grown & will continue to grow.

Attendance is not that bad is not growth. Also, it wasn't that hard to find people wearing USF gear in the late aughts. The IPF was too little, too late. USF was mentioned WAY more in the media prior to the last 5 years. Aside from the massive POTENTIAL debt from an OCS, you haven't identified a single objective way that USF has grown. I don't need any more subjective thoughts on this subject. I wish I was as blissfully ignorant to the plight of our program as some of you are. I was once one of the more positive voices on this forum, but the Universe has won. I accept our fate as an also-ran. We will always have the first 9 weeks of 2007. What a magical time that was. *Sigh*

3 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Attendance is not that bad is not growth. Also, it wasn't that hard to find people wearing USF gear in the late aughts. The IPF was too little, too late. USF was mentioned WAY more in the media prior to the last 5 years. Aside from the massive POTENTIAL debt from an OCS, you haven't identified a single objective way that USF has grown. I don't need any more subjective thoughts on this subject. I wish I was as blissfully ignorant to the plight of our program as some of you are. I was once one of the more positive voices on this forum, but the Universe has won. I accept our fate as an also-ran. We will always have the first 9 weeks of 2007. What a magical time that was. *Sigh*

You are not alone in the acceptance stage.  Or is it the depression stage of DABDA?

Edited by Cat941
grammar

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

10 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

That isn't it at all. I understand fully how lucky we were in 2003. It is the tremendous failure of leadership and a lack of vision that has led us to where we are. We squandered a lucky break. To me that is worse than never having a lucky break to squander. We have been passed by a program to the East that we dominated. We had lapped them. Then we decided to take a nap on the side of the road like the hare and the tortoise passed us by. 

6 minutes ago, puc86 said:

No matter how we got there we still got there and that doesn’t mean we have to be solely reliant on luck and repaying our karmic debt. We are allowed to try to move up or at least stop moving down by other’s mobility.

If it's money, can we buy our way in?  We've assumed that Miami and FSU would block us in the ACC.  Is that idea not true?

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  416

4 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

Calford is going to be playing east coast teams.  Maybe they have hopes to be invited to the ACC in the distant future.  The MWC offers regionality, but conference realignment is not about that lately.  Must include that I have no idea what will happen.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if PNW teams join the MWC.  I can't control it.  

That's probably their hope. Or a Big 12 invite. I just don't see them as attractive candidates and see more potential in select G5 schools over them. They're almost destined to remain left behind so might as well be left behind and play regional opponents.