• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

12 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

But once again my premise is that IF they could break the GOR they would be gone. The only thing that keeps them together until 2036 is the fact that they can’t break it. So why give the more money when you know they will bail as soon as they can. The key is can they break the GOR, so far from what we have seen from Texas, Oklahoma and the ACC, the answer isNo.

Correct. The legal dispute is whether they can break the GoR or not. Some say yes. Some say no.

To resolve the legal dispute, they agree to terms. FSU gets more money, which is what they want, but they also agree to stay in the ACC. The others keep the conference going for another decade, which is what they want, but with smaller payouts. That’s all I’m saying. 

Do FSU, UM, et al have landing spots in better conferences? Who knows. That’s the bluff/leverage these schools have against the rest of the ACC to renegotiate the GoR. Sure, the other schools could sit back and do nothing, relying entirely on the strength of the GoR (figuring FSU can’t leave even if the Big Ten or SEC would take them). But what if FSU sues under some clever legal theory? Do the other schools want to defend a lawsuit that could drag on for years, even if they’re right? And what if they’re wrong and FSU wins? That’s a lot of uncertainty.

Just my two cents.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  411
  • Days Won:  2

16 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Correct. The legal dispute is whether they can break the GoR or not. Some say yes. Some say no.

To resolve the legal dispute, they agree to terms. FSU gets more money, which is what they want, but they also agree to stay in the ACC. The others keep the conference going for another decade, which is what they want, but with smaller payouts. That’s all I’m saying. 

Do FSU, UM, et al have landing spots in better conferences? Who knows. That’s the bluff/leverage these schools have against the rest of the ACC to renegotiate the GoR. Sure, the other schools could sit back and do nothing, relying entirely on the strength of the GoR (figuring FSU can’t leave even if the Big Ten or SEC would take them). But what if FSU sues under some clever legal theory? Do the other schools want to defend a lawsuit that could drag on for years, even if they’re right? And what if they’re wrong and FSU wins? That’s a lot of uncertainty.

Just my two cents.

The word was that after the whole "magnificent 7" thing came out is that they couldn't find any way to break it though. Which to Cubanbulls point takes away their leverage to make big demands. The ACC will give them some merit based revenue split because even whining without leverage is a bad look for the conference, but not enough to make a difference for the TV deal. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

7 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

The word was that after the whole "magnificent 7" thing came out is that they couldn't find any way to break it though. Which to Cubanbulls point takes away their leverage to make big demands. The ACC will give them some merit based revenue split because even whining without leverage is a bad look for the conference, but not enough to make a difference for the TV deal. 

Understood. And my point is that just because you haven’t heard a public pronouncement that the GoR is breakable doesn’t mean there is no theory upon which to assert a claim or premise a litigation.

In other words, I don’t agree that the M7 can no longer make big demands. Absolutely they can. The lawyers will sort out whether the M7’s demands are anything to worry about, and advise their clients accordingly.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,846
  • Days Won:  22

30 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Just my two cents.

I completely understand what you are saying. But my point is so fat no one has found a way to break the GOR. So if that’s the case why give yourself a cut if they can’t leave. You know if they could break the GOR and SEC or Big came calling they would go regardless of whether they were making unbalance amount

At the end of the day I think the days of FSU, Clemson, Miami and UNC in the ACC are numbered. 2036 if they can’t find a way to break the GOR or earlier if they can. There is no unbalanced payment the others can agree to do that would make up the difference SEC and BIG teams make. The big question mark is who else goes. Notre Dame is the first brick to fall because their contract is up.

• Topic Count:  2,343
  • Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

25 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

At the end of the day I think the days of FSU, Clemson, Miami and UNC in the ACC are numbered. 2036 if they can’t find a way to break the GOR or earlier if they can. There is no unbalanced payment the others can agree to do that would make up the difference SEC and BIG teams make. The big question mark is who else goes. Notre Dame is the first brick to fall because their contract is up.

How is Notre Dame the first brick because are they not independent for Football?   The other sports they don't care.   So, they control their contracts with the media.   Help me understand the thought process?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,916
  • Days Won:  67

I am not sure if the GOR is rock solid or not (no law degree but I have been to court a few times for various reasons 😀) however I personally find it hard to believe the haves in the ACC will stay there until 2036, no way.  They will simply leave and take their chances in court. The ACC in its current state is unsustainable in its current state. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,916
  • Days Won:  67

4 minutes ago, Rizman said:

How is Notre Dame the first brick because are they not independent for Football?   The other sports they don't care.   So, they control their contracts with the media.   Help me understand the thought process?

Exactly, if ND goes Football then that will shake it up, nobody gives two violation where their rowing team competes, except my sister who’s kid rowed for them, the rest of their sports are irrelevant, football is king. 

13 minutes ago, Rizman said:

Notre Dame’s independent TV contract for football comes up now. They are trying to get enough of a raise to match what BigTen gets. If they don’t, then looking to go into BigTen might be a better move, problem is that their other sports are in ACC and they supposedly signed a deal where if they join a conference it would be ACC. So if their deal is low and they want to join BigTen they will need to break that clause and their ACC GOR on non football sports. That deal is probably easier to break than the full GOR the others have.

Thats why I say,watch Notre Dame first

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

50 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I am not sure if the GOR is rock solid or not (no law degree but I have been to court a few times for various reasons 😀) however I personally find it hard to believe the haves in the ACC will stay there until 2036, no way.  They will simply leave and take their chances in court. The ACC in its current state is unsustainable in its current state. 

Couldn’t all the teams in the ACC agree to renegotiate a better TV deal?? They have all the eastern markets so I find it hard to believe that they will fall down