• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

15 minutes ago, MMW said:

Is he suggesting this is the list or what he thinks might happen?  I don't know who SoonerScoop is.  

No, someone asked him what he would do.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

5 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

He was asked who would be his picks. So basically not pertinent info at all.

Pertinent because it is one example of an out-of-market reporter who covers an important Big XII member expressing an interest in USF as an expansion candidate. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

Big 12 coaches don't want to thin Texas recruiting pool with expansion

https://n.rivals.com/news/big-12-coaches-don-t-want-to-thin-texas-recruiting-pool-with-expansion

The numbers game, Rivals.com National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell says, is going to become a compounded problem should another Texas-based team arrive at the party.

“It would hurt Baylor for sure because they are already headed for some dark times and it hurts TCU and Texas Tech,” Farrell said. “Texas and Oklahoma will always recruit the state well, but these other programs have relied upon being the next choices in many instances, at least in the Big 12.

“Especially Houston. Houston to the Big 12 would just cannibalize recruiting for the league. The Big 12 needs to branch out into the southeast with expansion.”

Edited by MMW

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, MMW said:

Big 12 coaches don't want to thin Texas recruiting pool with expansion

https://n.rivals.com/news/big-12-coaches-don-t-want-to-thin-texas-recruiting-pool-with-expansion

“Especially Houston. Houston to the Big 12 would just cannibalize recruiting for the league. The Big 12 needs to branch out into the southeast with expansion.”

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Days Won:  0

Really I think Houston does not thin he recruting as they previously had Texas A&M.  So Houson actually provides competition for A&M for recruting. Houston is no diluting the BIg 2 product so I dont buy this theory.

Guest PCBull14
4 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

Really I think Houston does not thin he recruting as they previously had Texas A&M.  So Houson actually provides competition for A&M for recruting. Houston is no diluting the BIg 2 product so I dont buy this theory.

They are diluting Texas recruiting already by being successful. A&M was already P5 just because they went to the SEC doesn't mean they don't recruit Texas. Adding Houston is a bad idea IMO. Why add a sixth Texas P5?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

1 minute ago, PCBull14 said:

They are diluting Texas recruiting already by being successful. A&M was already P5 just because they went to the SEC doesn't mean they don't recruit Texas. Adding Houston is a bad idea IMO. Why add a sixth Texas P5?

It's a good question. We see the media identifying UH as an inevitable candidate because it's currently good in football and (apparently) has UT's support, but there's a kind of recency bias and laziness also running rampant there. If UH were bad in football, the flaws of inviting still another Texas school into the conference would be even more obvious than they are now.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  180
  • Days Won:  0

lots of tweets from Greg Flugaur   @flugempire regarding Boren statements.  Tied to BYU and their honor code issues

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

If the B12 doesn't expand, they will regret the move down the road.

(1) They don't have that many teams to say they have a legit conference championship.

(2) They have a lot of weak teams who do nothing with the football program.

(3) If they fear the TV networks being upset, think what might happen when OU or Texas or both leave for greener pastures.

This is their chance to shore up a ten-team conference that has but a few good football programs.

Here are their choices:

The dumb move would be to not expand and receive so much negative press over the whole thing, especially for wasting people's time.

Add only two and get back to the 12 teams and be a little better. It's a very conservative move.

The proactive move would be to add four. But it would take guts and vision. I doubt they have it.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

19 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

12 minutes ago, PCBull14 said:

They are diluting Texas recruiting already by being successful. A&M was already P5 just because they went to the SEC doesn't mean they don't recruit Texas.

I agree with PC.  Texas A&M is still recruiting Texas and when they added TCU it diluted the recruiting for everyone (in theory) by adding another P5 school.  

Now by elevation Houston you will have added 2 new P5 schools to the mix.  

Which is why this is one of my favorite slides from the presentation:

Slide17.0.png

• Upvote 1