• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

4 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Just seems like UT pulls a lot of weight in that conference, and they're apparently pimping UH...

UT runs the conference. They hold ALL the power. Pretty much whatever they want they get. What they want is a team they already regularly beat in recruiting (UH), and not a new team to compete against for players (USF/UCF).

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

Is expansion such a naked money grab—up to $800 million—that it threatens the conference's relationships with FOX and ESPN after their television contract expires in 2024–25? “In my opinion,” said a television industry source, “you are basically saying eight years from now this is over, and we might as well take the money.”

Different scenarios obviously favor different schools. If traditional television markets mattered, Houston and UConn would receive heavy consideration. If having the best football mattered, Boise State’s success over the past decade would be critical. If giving West Virginia an eastern neighbor mattered, Cincinnati would be attractive. If expanding into new markets mattered, UCF and South Florida would get long looks. If academics mattered, Tulane could emerge as a darkhorse. If potential subscribers matter, BYU would be considered. If financial support mattered, the deep pockets of Federal Express would be an ally for Memphis.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/07/28/big-12-expansion-questions-revenue-television-markets-media-rights?xid=si_social

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

7 minutes ago, NAM37 said:

UT runs the conference. They hold ALL the power. Pretty much whatever they want they get. What they want is a team they already regularly beat in recruiting (UH), and not a new team to compete against for players (USF/UCF).

That makes zero sense... sorry. They Beat UH for players because they are Texas... in Texas. They are in a better conference, they have a better history, etc. Now, if you level the playing field and give UH the same conference, UT will still win 85% of the time, but, UH will steal some guys here and there, just as we have done going up against UF, FSU, and UM.

I just looked at UTs current commitment list and every single one of them is from the state of Texas. Zero from Florida, why would they be afraid of us competing for players when we have a huge talent pool here and they have a huge talent pool there? We swim in our pool, they swim in their's. I don't think they would have any fear of us competing for their recruits. They have too many other schools in their back yard to worry about us. Believe me, we are not going to suddenly abandon recruiting in FL. Also... it may actually help them to be quite honest. When you open up the other Big12 schools to coming to FL, the ones who have historically taken kids out of Texas to fill their rosters, if they start to grab a few guys from down here, it leaves some extra talent in Texas for them to choose from.

As of now, OU has 16 guys committed... 7 from Texas

Kanas has 10, 3 from Texas

Ok St. - 16, 11 from Texas

UH - 18, 16 from Texas

USF - 12 total, 12 from FL

UCF - 15 total, 12 from FL, 0 from Texas

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, Orlando Bull said:

I just looked at UTs current commitment list and every single one of them is from the state of Texas. Zero from Florida,

We don't recruit Texas players because they know they never/rarely will play in their home state. If we were to join the B12 then TX highschoolers now have a situation that they a can go to Florida for college and still play a bunch of games every year in their neck of the woods.  We become a new recruiting competitor.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Rumors seem to be leaning towards them adding 4 teams, and will happen fairly quickly (in next 3 weeks or so).  

So putting my tin foil hat on.....

I think the timing between Memphis's released statement (one that seems to indicate they know they aren't getting in), USF's recanting on saying something this week and going silent, and the sudden explosion in recruiting,  actually bodes well for us and hints at something going on (or already done) behind the scenes.    

I still believe if they expand to 12 (both UCF and us are left out), but if they expand by 14, both USF and UCF are in.  I'm thinking it will end up being BYU/CIncy/UCF/USF

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

14 hours ago, Triple B said:

Except using an ESPN interview to pimp themselves ...

1 hour ago, Goldenbuc said:

Ummm..ESPN called and put up that video. UCF wouldn't turn it down and of course they'd pimp themselves in a national article.  Much of the media post assumptions on UCF and why not educate the media on UCF.  USF would do the same, but hasn't been called on, yet.  

A simple "I agree, Trip" would have sufficed there.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

46 minutes ago, TimBulla said:

BYU/Memphis vs. USF/ucf gnats

Even if I'm not a 3X USF grad, I'd still think the Florida combo has so much more to offer. Memphis is never going to be a powerhouse. And BYU, they aren't all that. Why make WVU and Cincy fly all the heck out there to play, some 2,000 miles.

If they grab Cincy, which they will, the Florida teams are in, if they go with four, and they will. Greed can't be ignored.

BYU would be in way before Cincy in my estimation. They have a national following, much like  a mini version of Notre Dame.  I think they would add much more value to the conference.  If the Big 12 decides to add 2, it looks to be BYU and Houston from what I have seen.  

As far as Memphis, don't discount the role that university presidents play in this process.  I don't know if the Big 12 presidents would want to add Memphis to their little club, but who knows?

Go Bulls.

50 minutes ago, NAM37 said:

But how much of that beating is related to the conference discrepancy? Give UH the same hammer as UT, with everything else they have going for them ........ UT's ego may not want to acknowledge it but that could be a problem for them down the line.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

17 minutes ago, Triple B said:

But how much of that beating is related to the conference discrepancy? Give UH the same hammer as UT, with everything else they have going for them ........ UT's ego may not want to acknowledge it but that could be a problem for them down the line.

Absolutely.  Which I suspect is why FSU/UM were antagonistic to the idea of us joining the ACC.  With the right coach (like a Willie Taggart) and equal opportunity in terms of the college football playoffs, we would definitely complicate recruiting for those schools.  Regardless of the overall benefits to the state, UF/FSU/UM do NOT want USF/UCF to escape the G5.

Edited by TallyBull
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

UF/FSU/UM do NOT want USF/UCF to escape the G5.

And considering the bulk of our legislators, I'm assuming, come from those first 3, it's no surprise there's been no political endorsements forthcoming in all this.

• Upvote 1