• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

16 minutes ago, jvwvu said:

FEDEX got Gee on board with $ - this is not history repeating itself - FEDEX is shelling it out now

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15833061/big-businesses-helping-big-12-expansion-candidates

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/05/11/fedex-vows-major-big-12-sponsorship-boost-memphis-bid/84223350/

FedEx vows major Big 12 sponsorship as boost to Memphis bid

The ESPN.com report also says Memphis vowed to make a $500 million investment in academic and athletic infrastructure during the next five years — an amount that President M. David Rudd has publicly touted, including in a December 2015 blog post, as already under way.

The report — compiled from documents sent to West Virginia president Gordon Gee, one of three members of the Big 12 composition committee — detailed FedEx's involvement. In a letter Smith wrote to Rudd in late February, Smith said FedEx would be willing to support the expansion bid by becoming a major sponsor of conference football and basketball, including sponsorship of a Big 12 football championship game. Rudd sent his letter, and the letter from Smith, to Gee. Two other members of the Big 12's composition committee — Oklahoma president David Boren and Baylor president Ken Starr — were copied on the documents.

I don't think Memphis is getting in.  FedEx has done this before.  Also Memphis is just not a good school academically.  They can donate a ton of money and it still will not bring up their academics.  They have low admission standards and are not a research school.  There is more than football here.  

Judy has been through this process before and I know Harlan is really connected with several teams in the Big 12 to include the Texas AD.  We moved behind the scenes with the Big East.  We're following that same road map.  Judy learned from LeRoy 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I love this one.

Memphis is a great fit in the Big 12.  Oh by the way, we'll need to spend $500 million in order to get our academics and facilities up to Big 12 standards.  But, hey, we're a great fit other than the fact that we need to spend half a billion dollars over five years to get close to Big 12 standards.

The check is in the mail.  Really.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-memphis-willing-spend-500-million-upgrades-join-big-12/

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

Could this be serious or just USF playing it behind scenes? 

https://twitter.com/hoopsweiss/status/755601620189130754

1 minute ago, Who'sYourData? said:

I love this one.

Memphis is a great fit in the Big 12.  Oh by the way, we'll need to spend $500 million in order to get our academics and facilities up to Big 12 standards.  But, hey, we're a great fit other than the fact that we need to spend half a billion dollars over five years to get close to Big 12 standards.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-memphis-willing-spend-500-million-upgrades-join-big-12/

Memphis had a good run the past few years... but hey have CRAPPY facilities and not so hot academics. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

Nope not just about Football, Mens Basketball matters.  

Big 12 does not have a research group like B1G, low admission standards, well look at WVU.

Basketball has been a power house back to Calipari - Now Tubby Smith is there.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Tigers_men's_basketball

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

3 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Could this be serious or just USF playing it behind scenes? 

https://twitter.com/hoopsweiss/status/755601620189130754

I think just about every G5 school is interested in the B12

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

I love this one.

$500 M is what Baylor put into Sports with new facility and TCU is going big on build out.

WVU is updating both football and basketball, so yes $500M is not out of the realm.

Cincy's big issue is football stadium holds 40k, otherwise they go to Bengals stadium.  USF has Ray Jay and no other.

4 minutes ago, jvwvu said:

$500 M is what Baylor put into Sports with new facility and TCU is going big on build out.

WVU is updating both football and basketball, so yes $500M is not out of the realm.

Cincy's big issue is football stadium holds 40k, otherwise they go to Bengals stadium.  USF has Ray Jay and no other.

Baylor was already a great school academically and so was TCU.  West Virginia is a way better school academically than Memphis.  They didn't need academic upgrades, they spent money on stadium upgrades.  I mean these are the same things people brought up when they tried to get into the Big East.  Memphis facilities don't compare to where Baylor and TCU were.  They still made investments in their facilities and Baylor in the old SW conference.  I don't see it.  I think the hoopla is mean to try and impress, if they were so confident they wouldn't be out selling so hard.   I don't think they're comfortable given the status of the other institutions. I don't see Memphis getting in.